“Unforgettable trip to Deer Valley” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis Deer Valley

The St. Regis Deer Valley
Ranked #7 of 60 Hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Unforgettable trip to Deer Valley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We just returned from a 4 day ski vacation at the St. Regis. It is a beautiful property with one of the best customer service experiences we have ever had. From the butler, to the front desk, the valet, the spa, the ski concierge....all were friendly and genuinely interested in our positive experience. The daily hot chocolate, champagne sabering and smores were all nice touches enjoyed by all in our group. We will definitely return!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Famfun92

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel in a unique setting. I've never been to a hotel that has its own funicular. The views are amazing and frankly, I can't remember being at a ski-on/ ski-off hotel either. The ancillary services are also unique. A ski shop with incredibly helpful staff is situated right in the hotel. And for such an upmarket place, they don't really mind if you walk across the lobby in your snowy ski boots and gear. Cool. Regular free shuttles keep the out-of-the-way location from being inconvenient. They'll even take your skis over to other Park City mountains (Park City, Canyons) if you want.

Why I don't go 5*s are the following: first, I was there on business, at a conference. I forgot a charger for my iPad. Not only did they not have any chargers, the response was obviously one that had been rehearsed - "we don't have any chargers and you can't use my personal one." This was a huge inconvenience for me as I had to schlep into town to buy one.

Secondly, maybe it's a Euro/ US thing but the whole tipping culture is one I'm just not used to. Yes, you can offer to do something for me (carry my skis, take off my boots (this was a bit weird, I have to admit - almost medieval - people taking off guests' ski boots), carry my single bag up to my room, open the door to my car), but please don't make me feel bad if I want to do it myself and please don't make me feel bad if I forget to tip you for something I didn't know was tippable. Sorry.

Thirdly, I'm sure the indoor spa is lovely. And the outdoor hot tub, even in the winter, is extremely enjoyable. But if I just want a steam or sauna or hot tub inside, I'm meant to pay $50 for a day pass at the spa. Again, for the price of the hotel, you'd think they wouldn't mind giving you a bit of steam and hot water for free.

The last point is not really a negative, more an observation. My shuttle driver, despite numerous attempts to change the subject, just wanted to talk politics. Part of me actually thinks he did not really believe an uprising (in response to recent gun control initiatives) was imminent, that it was entirely possible that this was just an act, that he was just giving myself and the two New Yorkers in the car a true "Utah experience." But I would caution that less sanguine souls than myself might have had issues.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

There should be a difference between 5 stars and 4. This resort should be a solid 4 star hotel. It is the perfect example of rating-inflation accorded to name brands because of their affiliation rather than what they in fact deserve. A five star hotel should be a "Wow" and this hotel is very good but not incredible.

We stayed during Christmas week. A family of 4 of which 3 are avid skiers and 1 is an avid shopper/spa user. Overall location and look and feel is excellent. The only property in North America to have a funicular. The rooms were quite nice and lots of amenities. Gorgeous views of the ski area and slopes through unfortunately incredibly dirty windows. Remarkably sparse furnishings that barely accommodate winter clothing needs; not well thought out in that respect.

Food is average at best and quite expensive for meager servings. Menu offers limited choices so by day 3 one has exhausted the offerings. Lively and interesting bar. Does not compare well with the food choices and quality in downtown Park City or in the Montage Hotel (as a basis of comparison). Library breakfast bar was an interesting experience each morning and provided much fun as to how confused the staff was in terms of offerings, prices, and virtually everything else involved.

Overall hotel staff is quite friendly, BUT remarkably untrained and quite confused as to what they are supposed to do. Anyone who has stayed at another St. Regis property would be quite disappointed with the service here as it is nowhere near the same level. Concierge services are appalling. Basic inquiries were transformed into complicated problems as if an experiment in advanced physics for the staff. For example, I cannot image that no one ever inquired as to what movies were playing nearby, or at what time the stores are open downtown on Saturday. Concierge sent us in the shuttle 1 hour before anything was even open downtown.

Ski concierge was a nice touch and spoils you rotten—but the Montage (in comparison) had twice as many helpers, were local youths, and each knew the mountain well enough to provide excellent guidance on w where to ski. The St. Regis ski valets were non-skiers South Americans who were attempting to do the job as best as they could but clearly were confused because of lack of training.

The health club was excellent. It had a lot of equipment options, and beautiful views of the mountain. It was clean and well cared for. But, no classes were a real miss, particularly on non-skiers or on non-skiing days. The Spa needed more cleaning and amenities needed re-supply. The actual massage and reflexology were excellent.

The pop-up shop was an interesting idea that was a big hit. It represented many different designers.
However, the general store next door was amazingly useless and during our entire stay we never saw anyone actually buy anything. One wonders about how fresh the food being sold there when no one was buying anything.
The on-site ski shop was excellent. The fact that rentals and ski lift tickets were all available on site was truly special and saved a great deal of time. Skiing right out of the hotel was an additional big plus.

The hotel was fully booked and yet offered no entertainment at night of any kind. Perhaps a jazz quartet or piano player (not a piano playing itself), would have added more ambiance and a feeling of luxury. Lacked any holiday spirit as well.

Leave plenty of time to check out, because that is an experience in itself. It would also have been nice if anyone inquired as to whether we enjoyed our stay. We spoke to a Manager on our own, who nodded in apparent understanding as to our comments but took no notes and never followed up.

In sum, this is perfect example of a very good hotel that deserves to be rated 4 star (or 4 diamonds). A perfect example of a good hotel that should be and can be a great hotel—but is not, it’s just nice and it just ok--its not a "wow".

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank travelingmom526
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The St. Regis puts you in the lap of luxury. There are friendly people to help one get their ski boots off and on. The property is a ski in-ski out so it is very convenient. Food is outstanding. Hot chocolate in the afternoon or the St. Regis signature Bloody Mary. Both wonderful.
Extraordinary service.
Only suggestion for improvement is to have a dry sauna availble after returning from the hot tub. There may be one in the spa but that is not as welcoming as a free sauna.

Room Tip: Tip is to bring your own sandals to wear to the hot tub. The slippers are too small for big feet.
Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Awesome place. Over the top luxury. Shuttle service into downtown. Staff is great. Very clean. The funicular was really cool for the kids. It was reasonably priced given the luxury but I was on a group deal. Nice pool and some activities for the kids like badminton and ping pong

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a really love stay here. It is beautiful, quiet, and has great views. The restaurant is amazing and the staff is so attentive. Housekeeping was prompt and worked really hard around our daughter's sleep schedule. Had a couple tough room service orders, but we learned to eat at the main restaurant instead. Will definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stay at a friend's house which is right next to St. Regis. We always have to ski in and get a pass there, rent equipment etc.

They have amazing service! Everytime I go, even though we are not guests, they treat us like we are!

There was also a wonderful pop-up boutique that we have been to a few times that have amazing clothes and jewelry.

The spa is incredible! I got a massage and even after an hour I didn't want it to end. I wish I would have stayed at the spa longer to enjoy the hot tub etc.

The Bar food is amazing. I loved the mussels and fries and the wings are great! Especially after skiing all day.

They also have the best home made hot chocolate and hot apple cider that are must haves as well!

I will always use St. Regis everytime I go to Deer Valley. :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends