“Gentle skiing” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Park City Grand Tour from Salt Lake City
Ranked #1 of 95 things to do in Park City
More attraction details
Owner description: Deer Valley Resort is a skiers only resort located in the historic mining town of Park City, Utah. Rated the number #1 ski resort in North America for an remarkable FIVE years running by the readers of SKI Magazine, we never stop striving to better our guests' experience. We offer complete vacation experiences from planning and vacation rental services through our Lodging & Reservations department to ski school, on mountain dining and summer concerts and chairlift activities.
Northbrook, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Gentle skiing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

We always go to Deer Valley because they do not permit snow boarding, which makes the skiing experience feel much safer for us.

Visited April 2014

Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Gorgeous views, lots of runs for novice skiers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

Wow, sooo beautiful here. I only ski the blue runs and there were so many to choose from here. A first class resort.

Visited April 2014
usa
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“TOP NOTCH SKI RESORT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

Very courteous and friendly staff. Good lift line organizing and expediency. Of course NO snow boarders. Only disappointment was that it was windy and they closed a lot of the lifts and the gondola even after the wind died down. I missed Mitt Romney on the chairlift that day.

Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Amazing Ski Area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

Wonderful ski area with plenty of easy/intermediate runs, not crowded the added benefit of NO SNOWBOARDERS!

Visited December 2013
Genoa, Nevada
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Sprawling, and designed to sell on-slope real estate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

Deer Valley is a great place to eat and own real estate, and a middlin place to ski. I have been skiing 48 years ( wow, seems like a lot!) and have skied most of the major US resorts, as well as many small local areas, so I have some comparisons available.
DV is spread across 4 summits with a plethora of short and long lifts to provide access. The layout is clearly aimed at maximizing the number of housing lots that can be placed directly on the slopes for ski on location. This is understandable, because the big money for investors in ski areas resides in selling adjacent real estate. I have no problem with investors doing that, but it does impact the layout of the ski area, in this case, negatively.
I enjoyed the many slopes and the high speed lifts. The grooming was good and the employees were very polite and accommodating. I was very surprised that ski instructors and patrollers generally did not wear helmets. The lift lines were reasonable, though longer than the ones at Park City that week. Some of the blue slopes were much steeper than other areas (except Sun Valley and Snobird) which is not a negative, because those ratings are relative to,each mountain. The panini I had for lunch at the Empire lodge was excellent and far superior to the normal ski area fare.
DV does not allow snowboarders, but my impression was that of a large number of racer-wanna-bes skiing extremely fast amongst intermediate runs. All areas have these types, but there just seemed to be more, and I never saw any patrollers or mountain hosts posted to help direct them to more appropriate terrain. I was very glad I had a helmet on!
DV is place to experience. Most dedicated skiers enjoy trying new places. I still have not skied Big Sky or Whistler, and, like DV, they are on my list. Every day on any mountain is different due to weather, snow, crowds and other factors. I like DV, but prefer the skiing and layout at Park City. Give it a try and decide for yourself.

Visited March 2014