“Perfect for a weekend away”
Review of Silver King Hotel

Silver King Hotel
Ranked #31 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Reviewed October 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for two nights for a weekend getaway. I was a little worried by the reviews and the fact that they are individually owned, but there was nothing to worry about. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly and gave us an excellent room on the top floor. The room was beautiful, updated, and very cozy. The decor was wonderful along with the wood burning stove, sky lights, and jetted tub. The location was perfect. A wonderful weekend all the way around. We will be back!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vaycay4Fun
There are newer reviews for Silver King Hotel

Reviewed September 10, 2009

Spent the weekend here with my wife. The first room had no cold water. So we could not take a bath or a shower. This was only discovered around 10 pm that night and a call to the front desk said they would call Maintenance the next morning.

The next morning I called down again around 9 and reported the issue again. They were going to send maintenance so my wife and I went to the pool until just after 11. When we got back, the maintenance guy was there and verified no cold water but was calling his boss for ideas. The boss was off that day apparently. He left a bit later to check the boiler.

I called the Front Desk around noon and they reported that they were working on getting us a new room because they could not resolve the issue. Then they called back around 1:30 to let us know they had a room prepared. So we went to the new room with much better decor and had cold water.

We were NOT upgraded in our room. When I checked out the next day we did not receive any discounts. Maybe you have to be an pain to get something which would mean that they only care about customer service if you complain. Which is not customer service but in reality issue resolution.

Be aware that each room is individually owned and decorated and the decor varies. The 2nd room had some nicer items in the room than the original. My wife loved the decor in the 2nd but was not liking the 1st. Me I wanted to use the jetted tub. But could not until my 2nd day there.

So iffy on recommending this place. If there is a problem not sure if they work to resolve or work to shut you up. And if you shut up then they don't care after that. But not 100% sure on that. Just based on my experience. The 2nd day/night was great and have no complaints. Would of rated higher if the 1st room had not been broken and took so long to get it resolved.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2009

It was my second time back to Silver King Hotel and I had to write a review this time. I went again with my kids, 8 and 10 and husband. We stayed in UNIT 305 and it was perfect for the four of us to spread out. 2 FULL bathrooms was perfect. Wonderful updated kitchen countertops/bathroom tile, etc. We could have six people in this one bedroom. There is side alcove that was made into a daybed and trundle area the kids slept and then we had a full pull out couch too.
THe pool and hot tub were just 3 doors down the hall. That was KEY for our family apres ski routine. The pool is indoor and outdoor. Great for kids swimming under the wall to throw snowballs and then jump back into pool. The hottub/sauna area are wonderful. The even have a gameroom kids could hang out in.
We walked outside the hotel's backdoor, across the parking lot to the First Time lift and were good to go for the day! Ski school was just up the hill for the kids. We found out the First time lift will let you ride it once if you don't have your day pass yet.
We definitely will go back and ask for unit 305 again. It has a wonderful view of the mountain out its windows. Worth the money! Maybe a "Gir's Ski Weekend" next time!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2009

My husband and two children stayed in room 403 for one week in April 2009. It is a roomy, 2 bedroom unit that was so comfortable we felt right at home. The kitchen was well supplied with utensils so we were able to cook dinner easily. We were there for a ski trip and we loved hitting the hot tub and pool after a long day on the slopes. The staff were extremely helpful and the housekeeping crew kept the place spotless.

We would definitely go back again!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Based on the reviews here, I was expecting so much more. We stayed for a week in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit, number 313.

The pros - the location is great. It's a very short walk to the ski area, and the free public buses pick up/drop off right out front. The buses run frequently, and we never waited more than 5 minutes. The grocery store is also only a short bus ride away.

Our condo had an appealing layout, and the overall look of the building was pleasant.

The hot tub/pool area was nice, although the hot tub was packed to capacity from 5:00 on every night we were there. Not a big deal, but that's an area they might think about expanding in the future.

The cons. Our condo was VERY dated; it really shouldn't even be in the rental pool in its condition. At the very least, it needs a deep cleaning. There was mold/mildew all over the ceiling in the shower, which was disgusting and unacceptable. There was a nice jetted tub in the bathroom, but we were too skeeved out by the mildew to use it. On the plus side, this unit has nice views of the ski area.

The people at the front desk were friendly, but clueless. They couldn't answer even the most basic questions.

They ran out of firewood halfway through our stay, and never got anymore, even though we (and others we overheard) repeatedly asked for it. Things happen, I understand that, so I wasn't upset when they ran out the first night. But by night three with no logs, I was getting annoyed. Inexcusable.

My husband is a light sleeper, and he complained that there was little insulation in the condo. He could hear trucks driving by all night, and apparently he even heard our upstairs neighbors in the bathroom. He didn't sleep a wink all week long.

Also, there is supposed to be wireless internet access in all the units, but ours only worked once (and not well), the entire time we were there. It wasn't a huge problem for us since we were there to vacation, but business travelers take note. We mentioned this to the clueless front desk people, and they shrugged it off and said, "Yeah, it comes and goes."

Overall, we had a great vacation, despite the problems with the Silver King. I would only recommend staying here if you request a specific updated unit (just requesting one in general doesn't work; we did that), and if you get an amazing deal. Otherwise, your dollars are better spent elsewhere. Don't be fooled by the AAA 4 diamond rating; I travel frequently, and this is NOT a four-star property.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank LarJay
Reviewed March 26, 2009

My wife and I, both grad students, stayed here on our first trip to Park City. The location could not have been better- just a 5 minute awlk from the rental areas and the ski lifts. The room was pleasant and clean- and the updated kitchen was amazing! (New granite countertops, large fridge and oven). Wall mounted flatscreen tv was medium in size, but did the job well. While the grocery store is a 20 minute walk away, I would suggest getting a small rental car as the hotel has free underground parking. Also, the indoor/outdoor pool was a special bonus. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2009

The Silver king is not for those seeking a luxury experience. It is an adequate hotel and if you are there for the skiing it will suffice for most people.

To begin with we were promised one of their "updated" gold level condos when I made the reservation. We arrived late at night and were given room 414. It appeared that the last time they updated unit 414 was the early 80's...it was a dump . I woke up early and went to the front desk and pleaed my case and was offered to move to unit 215 which was an updated unit. 215 was great...new furniture, falt screen tv's and clean bedding.

Be careful of which room you get and ask for pictures of the unit you will be renting.

The hotel is in a great location if you are skiing Park city and if you have a car it is eay to get to Deer valley and the Canyons. I would recomend a car if you are visiting park city because although the buses are plentiful, you will still spend time waiting.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family