“Hotel located next to the lifts”

Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village
Ranked #16 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Windermere, Florida
“Hotel located next to the lifts”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I decided to stay at the Sundial Lodge for the Thanksgiving weekend. Normally I stay in Salt Lake City or the Best Western Hotel located along the highway, but decided to stay closer to the action this time. The airport shuttle dropped me off at the hotel next to the entrance. As other posts have mentioned, check-in can be confusing. There were two desks in the lobby. I went to the first one, but when I mentioned my name I was told that I needed to go the next one. There are two different management companies so it depends on who you booked through. However both employees were nice and was checked in quickly.

The room itself was nice and large with a queen bed, sofa and desk in the main part of the room. The closet is tucked away in the corner between the door and bathroom. The décor was rustic and not overdone. There was a rectangular window between the bathroom and living room which was odd. The room also had a refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot and real plates and silverware. My room was one of two located in the corner the hallway. There was a laundry room between the two rooms which was free. They even provided laundry detergent and dryer sheets at no extra cost.

An area where they could improve the experience is with the lighting in the bathroom. Unless you use the heat lamp for additional light, it is pretty dim. The lights also had a tendency to occasionally flicker. They also only provided one small bar of soap for both the sink and shower. It wasn't until the third day did I find another one, which was nice not having to keep switching back and forth. You will also need to be careful with the nozzle in the shower. Unlike every other shower I 've seen, the hot water comes out immediately once you turn on the water. It took me awhile to figure that out after I only got cold water for the longest time.

The hotel has two hot tubs on the second floor between the two wings. Only the larger one was functional, as the button to operate the smaller one was missing. It was nice being outside in the cool air sitting in the hot water. There is a pool on the first floor but didn't check it out. They give you a common access card that accesses the pool, fitness room and parking garage. You don't need it for the hot tub though.

There are no restaurants on the premises, but there are several in the vicinity that serve breakfast through dinner. If you don't have a car, these restaurants are your best option unless you want to spend about $40 for a taxi into Park City. The staff will provide recommendations for where to eat.

The hotel doesn't have a true ski room where you can store your skis and boots. There is a storage room where the concierge or another staff member will take your skis. Don't know if people just walk through the hotel in their ski boots from their rooms or use one of the resort's rental lockers. Normally you would see a separate room to allow people to use in order to protect the hotel's floors.

My flight from Salt Lake City left at 8:00am in the morning, and as such the shuttle picked me up at 5:00 that morning. The front desk was closed at that hour, so they had told me when I checked in to leave my keys in the bedroom and the maids would collect them. When the desk is closed there is a number you can call if you need to talk or see someone.

Overall the staff was very friendly and helpful during my entire stay. Hopefully the next time I'm in Park City that there will actually be snow. If you are looking at splurging, the Sundial Lodge is a good option. I would recommend a rental car if you plan on staying for more than four days as public transportation is limited in the evening.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank wbullseye
Brian B, General Manager at Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your detailed review. Sundial Lodge is a very comfortable place to stay and is right next to the ski lifts and a number of restaurants. The location can't be beat and we are continually upgrading the property to meet guests needs. I apologize some of the services seemed lacking as we are in the middle of several major upgrades right now. The bridge hot tub and plunge pool area is being remodeled including the addition of a fire pit. We were able to get the hot tub going for the Thanksgiving weekend but the work is still ongoing. The smaller tub is a plunge pool and is just for cooling off so it doesn't have jets. We are also adding a new ski storage room in the lobby including boot dryers. This way you can drop your skis and boots off with the valet when you walk in and pick them up with dry boots on your way out the next morning. There will also be a seating area to change in and out of boots and shoes. I hope you stay with us again and are able to make use of these new additions. We are always looking to improve based on excellent feed back from guest like you.

General Manger
All Seasons Resort Lodging

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Got a room at Sundial Lodge at the Canyons for a night and was treated rudely by the manager Brian and his front desk staff. Tried to check in with him, since he was just sitting at the front desk too and with an attitude, informed me he couldn't check me in, even though there was a line of people checking in.
Then, we got a room that sleeps 6 and we were bothered by the front desk lady, telling us we had too many people in one room because they only allow 4 a room. We let her know that it sleeps 6, 2 queen bedrooms and a fold out couch. When she realized she had made a mistake she just told us that we were right and didn't even try to apologize.
I dialed 0 and asked if we could get 2 cabs to go into town (PC) and the lady I spoke with told me to be down there at 9:15. We came down and were waiting for 30 minutes plus and then I decided to double check. I went in and asked Brian in a nice manner if the cabs we had called for were still coming. He looked at me like I was crazy and with an attitude told me he had no idea what I was talking about? I told him I dialed zero and spoke with someone who confirmed the cabs were coming. He said "I have no idea who you spoke with but it wasn't my staff!" I asked how that could be if I in fact dialed 0. He said "I have no clue" and pretty much to figure it out myself.
Also, if you don't return all of your room keys they charge your card an extra $75. Instead of enjoying my vacation and kept checking to make sure I didn't leave my card somewhere on accident every 30 minutes.
I would expect rude treatment maybe from a staff but not from a direct General Manager. Maybe if they hire new staff this lodge might be enjoyable because the rooms are in fact nice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Julissa G
Brian B, General Manager at Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
I'm sorry to hear that you had a negative experience at the Sundial Lodge. We take guest service very seriously. To clarify, you spoke with Ryan, who is a front desk manager for a different management company. Your reservation was not with him which is why it was difficult for him to help you. As you may be aware, members of your group were belligerent to the front desk and used foul and demeaning language to express themselves. Your party also broke a thermostat in one of the rooms, leaving blood all over the room and trailing out the front door. This created quite a hazard for our cleaning and maintenance crew. We are always striving to increase the quality of our guest service, and we regret the situation that occurred and that we were unable to meet your expectations.

All Season Resort Lodging
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We went to sundial lodge for our friends birthday and were impressed with the location as well as the rooms. However, whenever we encountered any customer service representative we were treated terribly. No one was friendly or helpful. We tried to ask for extra room keys, asked if there was a shuttle, simply wanted to know if breakfast was available and all we got were dirty looks and rude tones. Hopefully it was just a fluke but I wouldn't suggest staying here if you want an enjoyable vacation

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Katiejed
I'm sorry to hear that you had a negative experience at the Sundial Lodge. We take guest service very seriously. To clarify, there are different management companies that operate here at Sundial Lodge. This is why some of the people you encountered couldn't help you as your reservation was not with them. As you may be aware, members of your group were belligerent to the front desk and used foul and demeaning language to express themselves. Your party also broke a thermostat in one of the rooms, leaving blood all over the room and trailing out the front door. This created quite a hazard for our cleaning and maintenance crew. We are always striving to increase the quality of our guest service, and we regret the situation that occurred and that we were unable to meet your expectations.

rosaritobeach
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We went to the Sundial for a few relaxing days to celebrate my husband's birthday. The room was nice, plush, romantic, and cozy. We had a simple room with a little kitchen nook. Not a fireplace or a suite, but it was so comfortable. Great big jacuzzi tub.

Fun to be able to look out on the forum. There was a healthy storm while we were there. Staff was right on top of it to clear the walkways. Mostly we just relaxed. The staff is just getting ready for the season. So during the day you can see them unpacking the boxes of new ski apparel and such.

Over at the Grand Summit, is a little startbucks, and a little convenience store for snacks and forgotten toiletries. Fun to do a loop over there. The lobby of that lodge is where the TODAY show was broadcast during the 2002 Olympics. On the second level, there are about 20 photos with captions, referencing the history of the resort. From mining town to 80's garb through present day.

The resport has been recently leased by the Vail corporation. And they are curenlty going thorugha vew growing pains with the transition. Learning the new software, etc... But that is something that will iron itself out with a little time and mileage. Nothing the merits more elaboration. But that is reason I did not give them a perfect score. We did have a problem, which we resport to management an they were sincerly concerned. Took care of the issue in a timely manner. Things happen. And they repsonded well.

I feel it is worth paying a little extra and staying right on the property. Especially when the weather is snowy. Much better just to be on site. And stay safe and cozy !!

This was a pre-season trip. We have already scheduled the Sundail for the ski season !! And can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: if you like to see the action. ask to fact the forum area. sometimes there are concerts outside an...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian B, General Manager at Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for your positive review and pointing out all the great amenities in and around the property. I'm glad we could take care of your needs and we look forward to seeing you soon.

All Season Resort Lodging
Northfield, Minnesota
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed overnight here during the off-season (mid-October) while on a cross-country road trip. Conveniently close to I-80, and our stay gave us a chance to check out this ski resort. We would definitely come back here in the winter. The front desk staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. Our two bedroom/two bath unit was well-furnished with lodge style decor. Great beds! I plan to contact the management to find out what kind of beds. (I forgot to look when we were there.) I would buy this bed for my home.
Note that not all restaurants in the area are open during the off season. We had breakfast at the Red Tail Grill, a short walk from the Sundial Lodge.
Underground parking is very convenient; definitely a plus during the ski season.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Brian B, General Manager at Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
I am happy to hear you had a great stay and we would love to have you back. We would be more than happy to help you figure out the mattress brand in the condo you stayed in. Each condo is individually owned and decorated. Please contact the front desk and let them know the room number (we can look it up by your name) and the information you would like. We will look into it and get back to you. Thank you for your positive review!

Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I took my son and grandson up to the Sundial Lodge for my birthday celebration weekend. We had not stayed here before, but the people at the desk were so incredibly great ... and helpful! The views from our room really mattered to me and the gal at the front desk said she would personally go up and if it wasn't a view she would love, she would switch our room!!! I think they upgraded our room... and it was perfect! Little but totally function kitchen, deck, fireplace, one bedroom with hide a bed. And, so importantly to us, the pool and hot tub are open from early to late, so we could really get in the pool/spa time we wanted! Great views, great people, great service!!! I would stay there again in a heart beat!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Brian B, General Manager at Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for your positive review. We do everything we can to accommodate our guests requests. Sundial Lodge is a great place to relax and take it easy by the pool and celebrate special occasions. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you again.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The unit I stayed in was not booked thru The Canyons Resort, but I thought it was quite nice! I did not miss getting the USA Today paper and housekeeping came everyday. Perhaps the furnishings were dated but they were in good working order. I had a 1 bedroom with a full kitchen and a washer and dryer in the unit. 2 TVs, a fireplace, deck and plenty of storage. The unit even had a humidifier as the air gets quite dry at this altitude in the winter. I wish I had more time to enjoy the room!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. There are a number of management companies at Sundial Lodge and we all want you to have a great vacation! I'm glad everything was to your satisfaction and we hope you chose to stay with us again in the near future.