“Relaxing, Plush, and Comfy !!”

Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village
Ranked #18 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We went to the Sundial for a few relaxing days to celebrate my husband's birthday. The room was nice, plush, romantic, and cozy. We had a simple room with a little kitchen nook. Not a fireplace or a suite, but it was so comfortable. Great big jacuzzi tub.

Fun to be able to look out on the forum. There was a healthy storm while we were there. Staff was right on top of it to clear the walkways. Mostly we just relaxed. The staff is just getting ready for the season. So during the day you can see them unpacking the boxes of new ski apparel and such.

Over at the Grand Summit, is a little startbucks, and a little convenience store for snacks and forgotten toiletries. Fun to do a loop over there. The lobby of that lodge is where the TODAY show was broadcast during the 2002 Olympics. On the second level, there are about 20 photos with captions, referencing the history of the resort. From mining town to 80's garb through present day.

The resport has been recently leased by the Vail corporation. And they are curenlty going thorugha vew growing pains with the transition. Learning the new software, etc... But that is something that will iron itself out with a little time and mileage. Nothing the merits more elaboration. But that is reason I did not give them a perfect score. We did have a problem, which we resport to management an they were sincerly concerned. Took care of the issue in a timely manner. Things happen. And they repsonded well.

I feel it is worth paying a little extra and staying right on the property. Especially when the weather is snowy. Much better just to be on site. And stay safe and cozy !!

This was a pre-season trip. We have already scheduled the Sundail for the ski season !! And can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: if you like to see the action. ask to fact the forum area. sometimes there are concerts outside an...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian B, General Manager at Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Thank you for your positive review and pointing out all the great amenities in and around the property. I'm glad we could take care of your needs and we look forward to seeing you soon.

All Season Resort Lodging

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed overnight here during the off-season (mid-October) while on a cross-country road trip. Conveniently close to I-80, and our stay gave us a chance to check out this ski resort. We would definitely come back here in the winter. The front desk staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. Our two bedroom/two bath unit was well-furnished with lodge style decor. Great beds! I plan to contact the management to find out what kind of beds. (I forgot to look when we were there.) I would buy this bed for my home.
Note that not all restaurants in the area are open during the off season. We had breakfast at the Red Tail Grill, a short walk from the Sundial Lodge.
Underground parking is very convenient; definitely a plus during the ski season.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Brian B, General Manager at Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

I am happy to hear you had a great stay and we would love to have you back. We would be more than happy to help you figure out the mattress brand in the condo you stayed in. Each condo is individually owned and decorated. Please contact the front desk and let them know the room number (we can look it up by your name) and the information you would like. We will look into it and get back to you. Thank you for your positive review!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I took my son and grandson up to the Sundial Lodge for my birthday celebration weekend. We had not stayed here before, but the people at the desk were so incredibly great ... and helpful! The views from our room really mattered to me and the gal at the front desk said she would personally go up and if it wasn't a view she would love, she would switch our room!!! I think they upgraded our room... and it was perfect! Little but totally function kitchen, deck, fireplace, one bedroom with hide a bed. And, so importantly to us, the pool and hot tub are open from early to late, so we could really get in the pool/spa time we wanted! Great views, great people, great service!!! I would stay there again in a heart beat!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Brian B, General Manager at Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for your positive review. We do everything we can to accommodate our guests requests. Sundial Lodge is a great place to relax and take it easy by the pool and celebrate special occasions. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

The unit I stayed in was not booked thru The Canyons Resort, but I thought it was quite nice! I did not miss getting the USA Today paper and housekeeping came everyday. Perhaps the furnishings were dated but they were in good working order. I had a 1 bedroom with a full kitchen and a washer and dryer in the unit. 2 TVs, a fireplace, deck and plenty of storage. The unit even had a humidifier as the air gets quite dry at this altitude in the winter. I wish I had more time to enjoy the room!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. There are a number of management companies at Sundial Lodge and we all want you to have a great vacation! I'm glad everything was to your satisfaction and we hope you chose to stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We had none of the problems other reviewers wrote about. Our room was clean, comfy and quiet. It had a little refrigerator and a microwave, which allowed us to skip some of the more expensive restaurant dining open at the Canyons area in the summer and shoulder seasons. Park City is conveniently nearby, maybe three or four miles away, with a free shuttle running until 4PM, and there is a variety of dining choices there. Front desk service was cordial. (Be sure to check in at the second front desk if the first one doesn't have your reservation -- who knows why they need two.) Hiking in the Canyons area was fun. Overall, a fine weekend.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bill074
Brian B, General Manager at Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear you had and enjoyable stay. I'm sorry for the confusion with the front desks. Each room is an individually owned condo and there are several different management companies here at Sundial. We appreciate you choosing All Season Resort Lodging and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I went to the Sundial Lodge for our anniversary two weeks ago and were very impressed. They upgraded our room and we had such a great time. Every thing (kitchen, bed, bathroom, etc.) was really clean, and the pool was a great temperature. We would definetly stay there again. Beautiful surroundings as well.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the north have the best views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jaylin R
Brian B, General Manager at Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for your positive comments. I'm happy to hear you had a great anniversary here at Sundial Lodge. Our goal is to provide a high quality room and a relaxing environment for you to enjoy you vacation. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

First, I really like skiing at Canyons and my wife and I love getting away to the mountains at end of summer to celebrate our anniversary. We've had great mountain experiences in Apen and Copper Mountain and the Sundial/Canyons was good, but just didn't live up to the same level.

First this area of Park City is really arid/hot/dry, which the resort can't help. If you want a more scenic and cool mountain get-away go further up and stay at Deer Valley or over to Solitude in Big Cottonwood Canyon. The hiking and feel there are much more like Colorado, the Alps, etc with cooler and more scenic areas. Canyons is awesome for winter sports, but scenery is not great for summer compared to the other areas. Also, they don't start the gondola until 10 AM and if you're in a dry/arid/hot environment most hikers and mountain bikers want to start early to avoid later afternoon heat.

Second, we really enjoy a nice pool at the end of a day in the mountains. Sundial has a pool + hot tub and a couple of great grills you can use. But there has been no effort to create a "resort pool experience". There are no plants, no umbrellas, etc - it's more like a very basic hotel pool - and the shade would be really nice given how hot it gets there in the summer. The hot tub also bleached our swimsuits - the property is in the process of replacing them but it's taking time because a different group manages the pool maintenance...

Finally, when we've been on our anniversary trips in the past the resort has usually upgraded us to larger room (given they're pretty empty this time of year) and/or sent up a bottle of wine or fruit/cheese as a congratulations and a "thank you" for booking a week. Didn't happen at the Sundial even though I told them when we booked. Not a huge deal, but just something nice other places have done.

Those are the bad parts but there were also very good ones. The front desk staff was very helpful in recommending hikes on the property and also very scenic hikes up around Deer Valley/Guardsman Pass away from Canyons. Canyons does a great job of having lots of activities even during end of summer - we had an outdoor movie one night and concert another plus lots of on mountain activities like zip line tours, etc that although expensive, are done really well. And Park City in general has a lot of great stuff going on in summer (Sunday Park Silly Market, lots of outdoor music, alpine sled/coaster at Park City Mtn Resort, etc) along with mountain biking and hiking. Canyons puts great literature in the rooms of "Park City Bests" to guide you to lots of great places. They also have a nice fitness center and every room has a DVD player, which was nice for a night in. Another nice perk they offer is access to free washer/dryers right next to your room. Drafts across the way at Westgate has good burgers and pizza for a low key evening and there are some very nice fine dining options a short walk from Sundial too.

We'll definitely ski at Canyons again and will probably go back to Park City sometime in the summer too - but not sure we would stay at Sundial/Canyons again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing out on the amplitheater are very noisy right now due to construction of the golf course...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian B, General Manager at Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

All Season Resort Lodging does not manage the room you stayed in so unfortunately I cannot respond to the issues you had there. We do make an effort with guests that book with All Seasons to accommodate upgrades for special occasion. We do manage the pool area and you should have received a check to replace your swim suit. Please let us know if it hasn't arrived. I appreciate your comments about pool improvements and we are working with the HOA board on the items you mentioned. Utah is a desert environment so hot and dry is quite common in the summer no matter where you go. I do understand your desire to have the lifts open earlier and I would contact Canyons Resort with this request as they manage the lifts. I apologize for any confusion., There are a number of management companies and HOA associations at most ski resorts. We do hope you chose to stay hear again and I encourage you to try the Fall months as it has been rainy and cool since you left. Thank you again for your review.