“The Sundial Lodge: I look forward to going back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sundial Lodge at Canyons Resort

Sundial Lodge at Canyons Resort
Ranked #16 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Columbus, OH
“The Sundial Lodge: I look forward to going back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

I stayed at The Sundial for a conference in late October 2011 (before ski season). I was there for four nights, and would have liked to have stayed longer.

The room itself was spacious, with a kitchen area that would have allowed me to prepare a full meal had I wanted. I had to be careful of the toaster setting, though, as I ended up charring a slice of bread and setting off the smoke detector one morning (this at a medium setting). The full-sized bed was comfortable, with very soft pillows - I slept very soundly. The bathroom was clean, and the water pressure in the shower as strong as I needed. The water did get hot, but I found letting the water run for a few minutes was necessary. I'm a taller guy (6'2"), and found the shower height adequate.

My room was on the second floor, so I had the option of walking out onto the ground level with a patio. This door was the thing I was most nervous about, as it took me a day to figure out how to lock it (after talking with the staff, I was told that it was a french lock - so turning the handle up activates the deadbolt, turning it down retracts it).

The complex as a whole was big, and still under construction - but I was able to get from this building across to the main building without difficulty for the daily conference events.

The grounds around the hotel were amazing, and I can imagine (although I've never been skiing) that it would be a great place to stay during the winter. As it was, I was able to hike up the mountain above the complex and enjoy some great views, and the drive in to historic Park City took only a few minutes. The location was a great mix between proximity to towns and cities and being "away from it all."

In all, I would recommend this location. If you have a conference at The Canyons, the Sundial is a great lower-cost alternative to staying in the Grand Summit. If you are looking for skiing, I could imagine this would be a good place to stay. It wasn't perfect, but nothing ever is - I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Each room appears to be different - a colleague stayed three floors above me and her room layout was...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

Walk out the door to hike, bike or ski the Canyons. Great location and nice accommodations. We were there in the summer and it was so nice to be able to wake up and hike right away. There was live music in the courtyard right below our room. The only drawback was that there are very few options for food/coffee/drinks within walking distance. It was tough to find breakfast without having to drive.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

"My son and I stayed at the Sundial Lodge last winter (March 2011). It was terrific. The skiing at Canyons was first class, especially with the new lifts to ease you over to the Dream Peak side and the Cloud 9 restauraunt. The hotel is extremely conveniently located just a few steps from the gondola. The staff was very helpful and cooperative. The manager, Mary Sorensen, was extremely gracious in every way, especially in selecting a room for us. Our room had a kitchen, a lovely balcony, was well appointed and had all the amenities we needed. We enjoyed apres ski in the jacuzzis. The free wifi was also a great convenience. Good restaurants within walking distance. In short, a great place. We look forward to returning."

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank AlBa012
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

At base, surrounded by restaurants and services. I did not choose the place so was happily surprised by the in-room washer and dryer, fireplace and fully stocked kitchen. Furniture was up to date, bed extremely comfortableThe rooftop hot tub with a view was always on point. The front desk, ski porterage, and valet staff were uniformly extremely polite, friendly and helpful, and never flagged despite the all-too-common entitled jerk behavior of many guests.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Peotone, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

We've stayed here in winter and summer. It is a good value for Park City. Only steps to gondola. Not a lot of activity after lifts close but we like it quiet. If you want activity, Main Street is short drive or free bus ride away. One bedroom is comfortable with full kitchen and washer/dryer. Internet access is free but terribly slow, tvs need updating. I was told by staff that both are being updated and should be complete by December 2011.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank empjm
msorensen, General Manager at Sundial Lodge at Canyons Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review on the Sundial Lodge at Canyons! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed one of our one bedroom suites and felt that the accommodations are comfortable. Concerning the TV’s, we have agreed that they were in need of an update; therefore the TV’s are being replaced with flat screens this month. We have also replaced our beds, carpet, repainted, and are going through the process of ordering new furniture items as well. In addition to all this good news, next year we will start in with some beautiful new granite and stainless steel appliance options to wrap up our remodel. We look forward to showing off all our new changes during your next visit. If you would like my personal assistance in booking a room, feel free to contact me directly. Thank you again for staying as our guest.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

Stayed March 25-28, during the Spring Gruv at the Canyons, above average sized room w/ balcony faced out onto resort and stage where we watched Los Lobos and John Popper (Blue's Traveler) after long days of skiing. Resort was very clean and rooms were large. Rate included lift ticket for 2 people each night of stay plus very nice breakfast buffet each morning. Restaurants on site are good but somewhat expensive; however, they have a market with everything you need and the rooms have either a microwave/refrigerator up to full kitchen. The market also has a deli and pizza plus alcohol. Downside is that restaurants and bars close very very early. Getting into Park City isn't incredibly easy but they do have shuttles that will take you in and out. Cabs are expensive but much more relaxing.

The mountain is excellent. Even when busy most of the slopes aren't too crowded unless you're heading down to a primary lift. The terrain is definately made more for intermediate and better skiers. It is slow going and fairly difficult for beginners but they can still have a good time.

The lifts are right outside your door and lines are either non-existant or move very quickly.

They are still open until mid-April and just got a lot of snow. Make sure to book a deal with lift tickets and breakfast included. Your hotel room ends up very inexpensive.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank dteelua
msorensen, General Manager at Sundial Lodge at Canyons Resort, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Thank you very much for your great view of the Sundial Lodge at the Canyons Resort. We are so glad to read that you were able to experience our Spring Gruv celebration, and specifically have the opportunity to watch the concert from the comforts of your room. I am happy to pass along your comments concerning the bars and restaurants closing too early to our Food & Beverage Director. Your feedback is quite valuable as we work towards leading our guests to extraordinary experiences. We look forward to your next visit and please feel free to contact me directly if there is anything I personally can do to make your stay more enjoyable.

florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

we traveled last minute to the canyons resort and had low expectations . our room was nice and plenty of space for 3 . it was not anything fancy but we had everything we needed . most important was the location . we were able to be in the lift line at 9 ! the heated garage was a big plus too . very helpful and friendly staff . by the way , we have always skied deervalley and decided to see what canyons was like . we loved it !!!! i do think it is a difficult mountain for beginners . make sure you get the grooming reports before heading out though . it helps to know where you are going . no groomed blacks . had lunch at lookout cabin and it was good . not great though .

now to the negative park of our trip : we have always rented from Christy Sports and been happy . this time we had a problem ! my 11 year olds ski broke and was stuck up in empire canyon lodge . she was in ski school and I was skiing in deervalley for the day . I had to meet her there and try to resolve the problem . I called the Deervalley location of Christy Sports and talked to the manager ( I believe her name was Dawn ) and was treated very poorly . She did not do much to help but offered to send a van to the mountain . I think it was the way she spoke to me and the disinterest in general that made me angry . the rest of my daughters lesson was shot as well as the rest of my day . Ski school had to leave my daughter behind . The van driver was very nice and did refund our rentals . Bottom line ......Deervalley Christy sports had such poor customer service when it actually mattered and thats what sets one rental place apart from another . So , just be warned . Safety is another concern when it comes to your child and again this manager did nothing to lesson our concerns when it mattered . Her response was that " it just happens " .

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
We are pleased that your latest ski vacation brought you to the Canyons and you were able to experience Sundial Lodge! As it is our goal to provide extraordinary experiences to our guests, it is always wonderful to hear that you felt our staff was helpful to you and your family. With the move of the Gondola right outside our lodge this last year, it is exciting to offer a smoother transition onto the mountain for our guests. We are also glad that you found the grooming reports helpful. Know on your next visit, that we are always happy to point out some great beginner runs before you head on up to the mountain if you would like our assistance.
Due to Christy Sports not being part of the Sundial Lodge or the Canyons, I am not at liberty to respond to your disappointing experience with your rentals. However I sincerely hope on your next visit to Park City, the rentals are smoother for you and your family.
Thank you for choosing the Sundial Lodge and we look forward to your next visit. If there is anything I personally can do to make your next visit more enjoyable, please reach out to me directly.

Travelers also viewed these Park City hotels
Marriott's Summit Watch
Marriott's Summit Watch
#8 of 60 in Park City
4.5 of 5 stars 497 reviews

Been to Sundial Lodge at Canyons Resort? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sundial Lodge at Canyons Resort

Property: Sundial Lodge at Canyons Resort
Address: 3720 Sundial Court, Park City, UT 84098
Location: United States > Utah > Wasatch Range > Park City
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Kitchenette Restaurant Shuttle Bus service Ski-In / Ski-Out Suites Swimming Pool
#7 Business Hotel in Park City
#8 Ski-In / Ski-Out Hotel in Park City
#10 Romantic Hotel in Park City
#17 Family Hotel in Park City
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Sundial Lodge at Canyons Resort 3.5*

Located at the base of Canyons Resort and just steps away from the Red Pine Gondola, the Sundial is a perfect blend of classic mountain lodge architecture and metropolitan style and sophistication. Choose from our many hotel rooms, studios, 1- and 2-bedroom suites, and even 2-bedroom suites with additional sleeping loft and extra bath. All rooms feature relaxing oversized jetted tubs, and all suites come with full kitchens, warm fireplaces, sofa sleepers, and private balconies to take in the mountain air and sweeping views.

This property also offers unparalleled convenience, being positioned directly above and around the stores, restaurants and ski shop of the picturesque Canyons' Resort Village. Guests also enjoy the heated outdoor pool, rooftop hot tub and plunge pool, complimentary underground parking, and much, much more. Additionally, our complimentary winter shuttle service transports guests within the Canyons Village area and to Historic Main Street, where the most popular boutiques, galleries, restaurants, and nightlife can be found.

... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TravelClick, Vacatia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Sundial Lodge at Canyons Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Sundial Lodge At The Canyons Hotel Park City