“Dakota's outstanding staff, service, amenities, location and decor will make it the premier hotel in Park City”

Waldorf Astoria Park City
Ranked #7 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Ocean, NJ
Reviewed December 15, 2009

Before you enter the Dakota, pause for a moment and look around you and you will be transported to the most modern day version of the Great Hotels. Surrounded by outdoor fireplaces, and gas lit street lamps, you will be greeted from the moment of arrival by valets, bellhops, footmen, all eager to ensure that every single aspect of your stay is perfect. Don't look for a check-in counter, staying a in great hotel is not a commercial transaction and is not treated by the Dakota as such. For the duration of your stay you will be an honored guest and not as a customer. The Dakota's rooms are tasteful and most spacious and comfortable, the concierge is outstanding, the spa is incredible, the location is perfect and view of the mountains outstanding. Whether you plan on skiing or just relaxing, you will thoroughly enjoy your time at the Dakota.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
salt lake
Reviewed December 14, 2009

I recently travelled to this lodge. Beautiful hotel on the inside. Maid service was exellent. Door service was above average but not quite excellent. For a reported five star hotel, you expect GREAT service and this is something that THEY LACK. They do not go above and beyond. I complained directly to the GM and via e-mail to him, it has been over a week plus and still no response. He had said that I would hear from him. The restaurant was incredibly slow!!! The breakfast and lunch food were excellent. and expensive (to be expected ). Each order was made on the spot. Dinner was good but not great. Lobster was out of shell which was nice but had been cooked too long and was tough. Duck was excellent and apetizers were solid. Wine service was excellent. Dessert was offered as a souffle but was not and this was a disappointment. I booked this via the hotel and WAS NOT offered the best deals. Even after asking about them, I was still not offered the best deals which were on the internet on their web site. I booked mutiple rooms and really question the integrity of their sales staff. Door service when they were slow was very good however during a busier time it was just okay. I would not go back to this hotel. There are other equally nice hotels in the area that have similar quality but better service and the same pricing. In addition, you are charged a $25.00 fee for internet use, coffee and tee service and valet parking. This should be included in the hotel charge and since we didn't park cars and have internet via our computers is really garbage charge. Next they'll be charging for use of the robe and slippers.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Tucker, Georgia
Reviewed December 4, 2009

Decor is very beautiful. Furnishings are very comfortable. We got a one bed-room suite and the kitchen and bathroom are the nicest I have had anywhere. We would love to pack up the kitchen and take it home, same with the bathroom (double sinks, great vanity area for getting ready, seperate shower/bath). Staff has been great, although my husband says I am getting spoiled.

Issues:
1) Doors are made of very thin wood. This includes the hallway doors (you can hear people in the hallway) as well as the doors between ajoining rooms. From what I can tell, there is a single room between each suite that can be used to make either suite a 2-bedroom. Our lovely neighbors have left their teenager unsupervised during their stay and he is fond of listening to blaring tv, music, and talking on his phone for HOURS. We can hear it all. The hotel staff has been appologetic, but haven't really done anything to correct the situation. The offered to move us to another suite, so we packed our bags and went to it only to find that it wasn't as nice as our current suite, and came back. They keep going to the room and asking him to be quiet and he laughs and says he has been getting complaints all day (we can hear the conversation in our room). Teens should not be left unsupervised in the hotel so I think the parents should be kicked out or the family moved, but the staff apparently thought some free cookies should be enough to make up for this issue. The really problem is the doors, which are very pretty, but do nothing to block sound. I have never had this problem before, even at cheaper hotels.

2) Room service: in room menu says that room service is available all night. We called at 10 PM last night and the phone rang and rang with no message, and no answer. We tried periodically for about half an hour and then called the front desk. They told us that Room Service does not answer calls after 10:20 (random?) which is fine, but should be printed on the menu. They acted a little annoyed that we were bothering them.

Overall, staff has been great, valet and bellhops are really nice. I am going to write off the door issues and the room service hours to the hotel being new. However, the noisy guest next door should be removed from the hotel. Why do his rights supercede my right (that I paid dearly for) to quiet? He should be booted, as should people with crying babies in movie theaters.

I should also mention that if you are coming to ski The Canyons, I wouldn't come until January. Only 3 runs are open out of 100+, and they still charge for full lift ticket. We have been driving to Alta all week because they have more snow.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, Ca
Reviewed November 28, 2009

Just returned this evening after a four day/three night stay including Thanksgiving. Cannot speak well enough about the superb staff (special thanks to Craig, Gardner and Kyle), spectacular suite and common areas at the Dakota Mountain Lodge. From arrival to departure we were treated as honored guests at every turn. The Golden Door Spa offered wonderful treatments, (we enjoyed the Lavender and stone massages) and a nice-sized workout facility with plenty of new, spotlessly clean equipment including Kinisis and Pilates. Our welcome packet included a 20% discount on spa services and my mother also received a 5 minute seated massage in lobby area with a coupon for $50 off one spa treatment. Thanksgiving dinner at Spruce was delicious(the roasted turkey was actually moist!!) and although there was a mistake with our dinner reservation, staff handled it beautifully. We booked the bed and breakfast package and enjoyed a beautifully prepared breakfast of our choice off the wonderful menu each morning at Spruce as well. Our family of six looks forward to a return visit.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Sactown
Reviewed November 27, 2009

My wife and I stayed here the week prior to Thanksgiving. The service was excellent, from valet to check-in staff, to spa and restaurant. We booked a great deal through their website ($199 a night and get $100 hotel credit back), and we took advantage of it by dining at the restaurant 3 nights - which were great dining experiences (pumping soup, mussels, and cheese selections were great!). We also took advantage of the free fitness classes, and their top-class gym. The room was a junior suite, perfect in size for 2 people - 2 full baths, fabulous gourmet kitchen, 2 large big-screen TVs. In addition, the day that we had a snow storm, we took advantage of the outdoor jacuzzi and pool.

I would definitely come back, and recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to treat themselves to a luxurious getaway!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Charleston, SC
Reviewed November 19, 2009

I decided to stay here instead of downtown SLC the night before my flight due to recommendations I recieved. Honestly, I didnt know what to expect staying here, but the service and friendliness of the staff was over the top! The second you drive in, the valets are outside and ready to help you with your bags and escort you to the check-in. The outside is gorgeous and looks great at night when the firepits are roaring. I'm sure it would have felt more like a mountain lodge if the snow was falling and the mountains were white, but the ambiance was still very nice! As soon as I checked in they informed me that they were at 100% capacity and were not able to upgrade me based on my Hilton HHonors status, but apoligized profusely and made sure that I was taken care of. In my room was a bottle of chardonnay from the Spruce restaurant apoligizing for the lack of upgrade. Definitely a nice touch! Amazingly, I never felt crowded in the hotel. Despite being full, it didn't have that crowded feel. I did lounge around in the outdoors hot tub. The pool/hot tub area had a restroom for changing, nice big towels out there for drying off, and with the robes that are in your rooms you don't even notice the cold. The two hot tubs were offset and very inviting with the cool blue lighting. The pool looked really nice too, but was too cold despite being heated. I did not dine at the Spruce restaurant, but it looked very elegant. Instead I opted to head down to downtown Park City to experience it for myself. In the morning I went over to the fitness center and it was definitely top of the line equipment there. They do have free group classes for guests, so be sure to ask for a calender from the concierge. Overall it was a great hotel. Rooms are a bit on the small side, but are very cozy with a nice big HD TV and fireplace. The bathrooms are very nice and have jetted tubs and a nice assortment of Golden Door Spa products.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank mrkinchas
Dallas, TX
Reviewed October 28, 2009

Just got back last weekend from a girls' weekend. Must say, place looks great. First impression is awesome. Service from the moment we arrived was fantastic. You are almost overwhelmed with the amount of people trying to help you when you walk in. (almost overdone) We checked in and asked for a mountain view room. Received a room with a view of a construction site to the adjacent lot across the street. Immediately we stated this was not what we intended and were moved immediately to a pool view one bedroom suite (which is what we booked) and found it much better, view wise. The view was of the inner courtyard area with the pool, but over the building you could see the ski runs and snow capped mountains. The rooms look larger on the website, but are very well appointed and the bathrooms are very nice. Had two bathrooms for this room - fully stocked with nice spa products. Kitchen was great - cooked in it and found it very nice, except missing a few utensils I would have preferred. Did find one cabinet about to fall off (saw this in another review). Hotel offers complimentary local transportation, but when we arrived, they initially tried to get out of this because their "house cars" were yet to arrive/or be insured. So, we stuck to our guns and they (eventually) honored what was offered and called cars for us every time we needed to leave the property. The concierge was great, especially once they realized we were "educated" as to what the property advertised. Housekeeping...could have been better. Saw a dirty q-tip behind my toilet Day-1. Was still there Day-3. Liked the place, overall. Just was looking for a more....cottage/mountain feel. This place is very contemporary. Golden Door Spa is nice, but overpriced. Spruce restaurant was VERY good, but, again...a bit high. Not afraid to splurge when we are on vacation, but come on! It was a bit over the top. Did not hit the pool or hot tub, but it did seem to be "serve yourself". We noticed the pool towels were left on a table in the rain, and never changed out once the rain stopped. TV...not many channels and the rain blocked out our satellite for a large portion of the day. Overall, I think this place is having a few hiccups management wise...but will get there in time. I would stay here again, but (as I stated before) I do prefer a more "lodge like" mountain feel when going skiing or spa'ing. (Note: there is a $25 resort fee that covers your use of pool, hot tub, fitness, high speed internet, etc.....you HAVE to pay it, rather you intend to use it or not. We used NOTHING and felt this "tack on" was irritating.) We did get a great deal on our room rate (included $100 a night in credit to be used in spa/restaurant, etc.) but the location was the major bummer. With it not being ski season, we weren't near ANYTHING of use/value, other than the things provided by the hotel, itself. Old Town Park City is a 10-15 min drive...keep in mind. It is nice, just not what we expected for OUR trip.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends