“NICE HOTEL”

Waldorf Astoria Park City
Ranked #9 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The staff was great, hallway needed some attention, and the restaurant was good. We had dinner Sunday, our meal and the service was great. We were seated close to a large table that made us very uncomfortable. They obviously had their opinions about the restaurant, but calling the manager at the table every 5 minutes and ask for a free meal was a bit annoying whiles you enjoying your dinner.
They should put them in a private room.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nate T

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Waldorf was excellent. Had an early issue with check in. Room wasn't ready understandably at noon. But told to return at 3 and still not ready. Resolved shortly there after very much to our satisfaction.
Staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. From Rob at check in, to Somile at check out. Stayed in a one bedroom. The kitchen was great. Modern and spacious. both bathrooms excellent as well.
Coffee shop doesn't open til 7 am, which seemed late for an early riser.
I'd definitely return.

Room Tip: pool facing
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Perfectly situated in the mountains, the whole hotel has a great energy yet is relaxing at the same time. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The beds were comfortable. I'm definitely coming back again next year!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Beautiful views all around. Enjoyed the ice bar as well as ice chairs on the deck, liked the classy but cozy ambiance the furniture and design exudes throughout the Waldorf. Great staff, actually got to know a few of them and it makes the stay that much better. I'm an athlete so after using their workout space & equipment that's in great condition and relaxing around the spa area I can also give that a thumbs up. So it's pretty much home for us here and we like that.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Not only does the staff put all their customers on top priority, they're always making sure the hotel is perfect. You feel like you're just at home too with their amazing rooms with kitchens. Love it!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stay there for a couple night and found the staff very friendly. I would of go to the restaurant more often if concierge would recommended.The food and service was very good and i even got the chance to meet the chef!

1  Thank Klynn78
Reviewed December 17, 2013

First of all, I have to say the resort is beautiful and lives up to its pictured reputation. Right from the entrance, you are greeted with elegance including a beautiful staircase, chandelier, and decadent fireplace. The check in process is also delightfully different. You sit down across from the agent at a desk which adds a nice intimate touch. As you walk to your room, you'll notice the doors are all dark wood which contributes nicely to the overall look of the hallway. However, if you get a room on any floor but the same as the lobby you'll quickly realize that you are in for a long trek every time you leave your room. The layout of this hotel does not make sense to me. The journey to our room was so long, I thought it maybe should've included a guide. At first, we tried using the first set of elevators we saw. When the doors opened, we were shocked to see a dark and dingy garage. We were so desperate to get to our room, we checked to see if it would've been something we could've walked through, but decided against it. When we went back to the lobby floor, a staff member walked us to the other set of elevators.
Our room was on the 3rd floor and I will advise anyone who is staying here to ask for a room closer to the lobby. Our room was the last one, 3178. Very far walk that is no fun if you're checking in after a long flight. When we finally arrived in our room, we were excited. The room had its own fireplace and balcony. So pretty!! We wanted to quickly head to the restaurant downstairs to eat lunch, but of course before doing so, my fiance wanted to check out CNBC for some market updates before we ate. When he turned on the TV, he could not change the channel. We thought maybe there was a trick to using the TV and figured we would try figuring it out once we got back from lunch.
We headed to Powder, the hotel's restaurant. We noticed it was pretty empty except for about two tables. We stood at the hostess station for what seemed a little too long and thought perhaps we were supposed to seat ourselves. When we asked the two staff members there, the hostess finally grabbed two menus and seated us. Now, I will mention again that the restaurant was pretty empty, so we were surprised when we were seated right next to a large table full of women who were chatting and exchanging Christmas gifts. I want to emphasize that we were EXHAUSTED after a long flight and weren't really in the mood to hear all that noise, so we asked her if we could sit somewhere more quiet. She looked pretty lost when we asked that (TONS of empty tables) and went into THE OTHER ROOM to ask if she could seat us elsewhere. This was our first exposure to the Waldorf Minute, which is way longer than an actual minute. You will wait at least 5 minutes for most of the things you ask for. The more simple it seems, the longer you will wait. Since we were so tired and hungry, my fiance just told the hostess it was fine. We sat down and waited. And waited. And waited. We watched staff members pass us by over and over again. Finally, we were approached by Adam who I did see at the entrance of the restaurant when we initially waited to be seated, so I was a little surprised it took him so long to come to our table.
My fiance ordered an unsweetened tea and asked that the sugar be brought with the tea. We waited a while for our drinks and when he finally got his tea, he did not get the sugar. He waited and waited and waited. Finally, he stopped one of the staff members and asked for some. I thought this to be a little absurd since just to give you an idea of the prices, I was paying $17 for a turkey club. I would figure our service would've been impeccable. We waited so long for the food, that I was considering leaving and going into town to get something faster. When the food finally arrived, it was DELICIOUS. Honestly, best turkey club I've ever had!! If the service was better, it would've been a perfect experience.
When we got back to our room, we tried to figure out the television. We pressed every button on the remote and could only get it to turn on and off and put the volume up and down. We called the front desk and they said they were sending someone over. That took about a half hour or 6 Waldorf Minutes. Dale tried the same thing we did, but also could not change the channel. He reset the box on the back of the TV which took a while, but still did not work. He told us that he would need to bring us a new remote which would take AN HOUR (at least he didn't say a couple of minutes).TWO HOURS LATER, my fiance called the front desk to ask if we could have someone help us out. Dale returned about 10 minutes later. He tried again with the new remote and it still didn't work. He tried another remote and the only way he could change the channel is by hitting Guide. We figured that was better than nothing. He told us the only thing other than that would be to get us a new box which they were all out of. The remote was unable to turn the TV on and off, so we had to manually turn it off and on ourselves. Now, this would not be so bad if we were staying at a 3 star hotel, but the Waldorf? Known for its opulence? And you can't get us a TV with a remote that works???
That night, I made the unfortunate realization that I forgot my contacts case and pajamas. Isn't that the worst? I figured I could use my gym clothes as pjs, but I definitely cannot sleep in my contacts. Now if the Waldorf had a standard gift shop that stayed open late that had standard conveniences for its guests, this wouldn't have been a problem. The shop closed at 5pm. I called the front desk to see if they could help. The woman said if I went downstairs, they would be able to open the gift shop for me. We had ordered dinner, so I figured I would go downstairs and take care of the issue so that after dinner,I could go to sleep. When I spoke to someone downstairs,he said they would find me someone who could open it. Now, doesn't that seem simple? A key. A key to open the door. That's it. Nope. I waited and waited about 3 Waldorf Minutes,or 15 standard. The same staff member told me about a couple of minutes into my wait that someone was coming. I drank water. Pretended to look engaged in the hotel's decor. Sat down. Stood in front of the gift shop. Watched a staff member in a suit, with an earpiece and keys, pass by me like 5 times. I was not assured that anyone was coming to help. I felt beyond frustrated and almost discriminated against. Was my youth causing the delay? Was I not a valued guest? I finally gave up and went back upstairs. No one even noticed.
I was beyond angry as I trekked the long journey back to my room. How hard was it to get a key to the gift shop? Couldn't they have just told me that they would just bring up my contact case while I waited comfortably in my room? I thought the guest service would've been of higher quality. When I arrived in my room, the dinner was there and was cold. My fiance was frustrated because he didn't know where the ice machine was. He told me he was going to the lobby to get some water and would ask about my contact case and about the ice machine. When he got back, he said they closed the ice machines after hours (???why????) and that they would need to bring the ice up. They also apologized TO HIM about the contact case and said they would bring it up free of charge. Finally, the contact case arrived along with the ice. We were definitely not impressed with the level of service we received.
The next night we ordered room service. Way way too pricey for what you get. The next couple of days were uneventful. We decided to give the restaurant another shot and had dinner. We had much better service this time. Ian was our server and he was great. He was very helpful explaining all the food items with detail. We were also able to casually talk to a manager who was also from Miami and turned out about 4 other managers were also from Miami. There's no doubt that the staff is friendly. Very friendly. Just not quick.
The next morning, we had breakfast in the restaurant. The buffet is TWENTY TWO dollars. For that kind of money, I want my eggs right away. Again, we found we had to wait for a server, put the egg order in and decide whether or not we wanted to eat the buffet sides without the eggs. I knew it would be a while, so I just ate the potatoes, sausage, and bacon without the eggs. The food, I have to say, is IMPECCABLE. Really delicious. The wait, however is a huge turnoff! We got our eggs after a while. We got the check and I was paying with my credit card instead of the room. Adam was our server again. Very nice and polite. I told him that I was ready to pay the bill. He walked away without picking up the check with my card. I waited about 10 minutes watching him walk around until finally I said, "My card is inside. I'm not charging the room" I think I was starting to understand why the restaurant was mostly empty most of the time. That night, I tried ordering JUST a Pellegrino from room service. I called around 7:00pm for a Pellegrino. Mind you this is just a bottle that is already prepared. Do you know it took OVER TWO HOURS to get that bottle??? Ridiculous!
This morning was our last meal at the restaurant before our flight leaves tomorrow. We had breakfast. There wasn't a buffet. When I asked about it, the manager said they only serve buffet on the weekends. Mind you, I had the buffet yesterday which was a Monday. Again, the hostess tried to sit us RIGHT next to another couple with a share d booth. Was she trying to get us to socialize?? I was so confused. We asked to be sat at a different table which again caused confusion. The first cup of coffee I received was cold. I had to wait about 10 minutes for a new one. I asked the server for Splenda and did not receive it so I had to ask again. So unacceptable! I was paying over $70 for breakfast. Sorry, but yes I need to have my [--] kissed. When my water ran out, it was not refilled automatically. I sat and watched the staff primp tables, move around cups at the bar, take silverware in and out of the drawers yet my water cup stayed empty and our food took again FOREVER to arrive. When I asked my waitress for the water, she told me she needed to refill her pitcher. I watched her go over to the bar next to one of the drink servers who she could've asked to get me my water while she helped other tables, put the pitcher down, pick up a coffee pitcher, watched her go to two other tables, serve them coffee (mind you there were TWO drink servers and a hostess doing nothing AND a manager), take an order for another table, primp the bar a little more, look at me and had the aha moment that oh yeah I asked for water, and then bring me water! We watched two plates of food be handed to a table that arrived after us. The waitress saw our looks of annoyance and said she would ask about our food. We watched the family that they were serving reject the food, took a good look, and noticed that it was OUR FOOD. I had to call after them to get them to bring it back. The manager had my food and kept walking because I guess he didn't hear me. So frustrating!
Overall, the convenience of the Waldorf with its gondola to Canyons is wonderful, but guest services overall leaves much to be desired. With the amount of money you pay for this place, the service should be the best. I forgot to mention that my fiance left his mug on the room service table which was taken away, asked a staff member in the hallway for a new one and true to the Waldorf Minute, the guy still has not come with the mug till this day. Even the cleaning service came to our room and did not replace it. I had to call downstairs and ask for one. When the staff member arrived, he brought a glass cup and looked confused when my fiance said "No. A coffee cup. Like this. " and had to show him the coffee mug! Thank God it didn't take that much longer for that one mug. We will never stay here again. Sorry, but not worth it. Our experience by no means was the worst. The amenities are amazing. Might i suggest that a staff member be by the pool constantly de-icing the floor by the chairs and the entrance to the pool since we almost slipped about 3-4 times with the icey floor by the pool and that could really lead to a bad accident. Being barefoot or in flip flops doesn't leave for much traction! I watched a woman this morning cleaning the fire pit, so I know this is not unreasonable. Also, there should be an ice machine on each floor with some kind of vending. The gift shop does not sell water or snacks so that leaves guests having to take a shuttle to the 7 Eleven which is not what most of us lazies on vacation want to do.

2  Thank Haydeej