“Will pass on The Canyons next ski trip”

Canyons Village at Park City
Ranked #12 of 97 things to do in Park City
More attraction details
Owner description: This area, formerly known as Park West, is the closest to Park City and the former site of the Olympic Games.
Reviewed February 17, 2010

My wife and I took a ski vacation at The Canyons over the holidays. I will never go back. If you are not staying at the resort you have to take what they call a cabriolet from the parking lot to the base area, then walk forever to the main gondola. Then, at the top of the main gondola you have to get on another lift before you can even ski. Three lift rides before you can make turns...ridiculous! The whole mountain is too spread out and if you are not a local you will get lost. The staff was friendly but seemed uninterested in our good time. We are fairly good skiers and there is only one bowl that seemed to be lift accessed...they claim they have six bowls. You have to hike to the other five I guess. Ninety nine ninety lift is fun but it got so tracked out and bumpy. We also waited in line at saddleback lift and Tombstone lift for like 15 minutes each time. I will pass on The Canyons next ski trip.

1  Thank lautahskier
Write a ReviewReviews (1,117)
All reviews
in 21 reviews
"epic pass"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed February 14, 2010

Terrible place for boarders. Way too many flat blue/greens to get back to the lifts. Poorly designed. Not true ski in/ out.

1  Thank Donnib
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Booked a condo with Club Lespri stating that we needed a ground floor condo with NO stairs and that it had to be true ski in/ski out and had to have a private hot tub and a mountain view. We got a village view. The "private" hot tub was accessible to other condos, but we never saw anyone else in it. Not sure what other folks think NO stairs means because we had to go down a full flight of stairs to access our unit. Also do not know what people think TRUE ski in/ski out is since we had to hike across a road, climb up a snow bank, and pole our way to the run. They also charge for additional bottles of shampoo, etc. and toilet paper, and there is NO midweek cleaning. This is NOT what we're accustomed to at other properties we frequent. On the plus side the unit was very nice, and the Club Lespri staff let us borrow a computer to print our boarding passes. .

Reviewed January 20, 2010

We recently enrolled our 5 and 7 y/o's in The Canyons ski school for 2 days. I am very safety conscious and was very impressed. The ratio was 3:1. My boys had never skied before. The first day they were on the learning hill. The 7 y/o caught on pretty fast, so he was given "challenges' by his instructor - try a jump, try a hockey stop, weave in-and-out, etc. He was definitely not bored.

I was very nervous about the second day when they would take the chair lift. But it was just the 2 of them with the instructor. He kept a hand on the 5 year old and pulled the bar down right away. He attached balloons to the back of the boys' helmets so they were more easily identifiable (and it was really cute). By the end of their second day they were skiing really well and were in good control.

Our third day there we skied with the boys on green and blue runs. They were telling me pointers along the way :)

The boys really liked their instructor. They liked the food, too. Overall, they had a blast and can't wait to go again.

As for skiing for my husband and I, I am a green skiier, maybe an occasional blue. I enjoyed the green runs and found plenty to keep me busy - taking Boomer on down is a good run - and the dotted blues weren't too hard. My husband is a little better and found plenty to keep him happy in the Tombstone Express area. The staff was really nice. They slowed the lift down for my 5 y/o. I was having trouble with my ski boot one day and a staff member wandered over, asked if I needed help, and was able to fix the problem. I was definitely happy to be saved a trip back down the Gondola to the ski shop.

We loved our ski trip at the Canyons.

1  Thank OmahaFamilytraveler