New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Canyons Village at Park City

Canyons Village at Park City
Ranked #8 of 84 things to do in Park City
More attraction details
Owner description: This area, formerly known as Park West, is the closest to Park City and the former site of the Olympic Games.
Redondo Beach, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Outstanding Staff and Kiddie Slopes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

We just got back from visiting Canyon’s (Dec 17-21) and I can’t wait to go back. Being it was my first time skiing, trust me when I say, this is the place you want to start. The terrain is very versatile from the professionals to my fellow kiddy slope skiers; it was nothing less than a magical time.

Getting there was not bad. We stayed at the Waldorf and they shuttled us to the Waldorf gondolas and from there we walked a few yards to the Red Pine Gondola. I would say it took us a total of 15mins to get to the Red Pine Lodge. I have to mention that the Gondolas were clean and staff were friendly and courtest.

After a few hours on the Sweet Pea Slope (kiddy slope), which had a very convenient conveyer lift (you’ll be thankful for after a few runs) I gained the courage to try the High Meadow Slope, which they considered the next level from the bunny slope. Let me tell you…This is NOT a beginner slope, its more like an intermediate/I wanna die slope.

The staff was just outstanding though. A personal shout-out to Tom from London, a ski instructor at the Canyon’s Resort, who escorted me down the hill and advised me to stay at the kiddie slope till I gained more experience…Thanks, Tom! And Nickolas, from the Sweet Pea Slope, who was very nice and helpful.

I can’t review the Lodge but I heard they offered free hot chocolate.

Columbia, MD
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Great Day at the Canyons”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Skied the Canyons today and had a great time. The snow was great, fresh powder and the lifts ran without any lines. Plenty of terrain from easy groomers to challenging tree runs. The staff is friendly and helpful if needed. Get the discount lift tickets in SLC before coming up and save $$.

Cary, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Skiing the Canyons”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Great snow, great mountain. The set-up is very nice and we loved our time here. Very small lift lines and plenty of mountain for everyone.

1 Thank Ted K
Heath, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“This is really a happening place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

The best "rock & roll" socil life although there aren't many bars...but a lot of live music and the skiing is great. Super New Year's experience

Salt Lake City, Utah
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Everyone local has their favorite ski resort, this is mine.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

As a local Salt Lake City-ian, I love this resort because of it's proximity to SLC. I have justify skiing a half day since it's less then 30 miles from the U of U (which is perfect when I have to be in class at 1). The resort is HUGE, which is great because it almost never gets crowded and you almost never wait in lift lines more then 5 min. No, there isn't as much snow as Alta (so on really deep powder days, head there or Snowbird), but you can still find untracked runs 2 days after a storm. There is almost no beginner terrain (literally 1 run), but there are a ton of blue runs. Canyons is still growing though, so they still have their problems - the park needs to be moved out of a major learning area (although it's better this year then last - but the bottom still intersects with the bunny hill which frightens the beginners half to death and you get families with little kids skiing unsafely in the park - they should charge an extra $10 or something to passes for people who want to ski in the park and keep the 2 or 3 boxes set up on high meadow for beginners who want to ski in the park), it's a pain to park and then have to take two lifts before you can start skiing - especially when you have to park in the dirt (which is common at all holidays), and there is kind of a lack of bathrooms on the Tombstone side of the mountain (although they have been putting in glorified port-a-potties). Overall though, with its proximity to SLC, the variety of terrain and lack of people, it is a really fun resort.