“BUT...How you like it depends on why you're there”
Review of Grand Summit Hotel

Grand Summit Hotel
Ranked #19 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is a ski resort, pure and simple. The bedrooms are small (in standard rooms) and have no desk, or even a place to sit other than a small table chair and the bed. Offsetting that, the foyer is large, tiled and flows into a large bath with shower and two person jacuzzi. Also present are coat hooks by the door in addition to the closet. There is a small balcony, room width and 3-4 feet deep. The design would work great with skiers returning with wet clothes, or in summer, hikers and bikers. Still, I'm not sure the room would work for two people or that there is enough space for bulky items.

This was a king bed with maybe 10 pillows, only two of which are intended for sleeping. They are down and offer no support, For this or perhaps the inability to get the room cool enough, I didn't sleep especially well. In fairness, that's normal for me in a new hotel, and I did cross 2 time zones, but this was worse than normal. Temps were chilly outside, but noise levels made leaving the balcony door open impractical.
If your travel is for business, it's best to stay somewhere else. The standard internet (free) is bog slow (speedtest.net measured 0.48mbs download, 0.50mbs upload) unfit for streaming, graphics or large attachments but okay for most email or casual browsing. Upgrade to premium service for $9.95 daily, and speeds increase to 2.50mbs up/1.25mbs down which is decent, though still marginal for streaming video. Again, no desk, but there is a tiny table, barely the size of a large laptop, which is workable, but not fun. Certainly, the distribution of plugs doesn't support all the things many business travelers would have. The signal strength for (Verizon) voice and data (any version) is marginal inside, but decent outside. As one of my colleagues observed, most people come here to disconnect anyway. The free in room coffee actually was pretty good.

And that they can do in fine style. Grand Summit is large with extensive recreational facilities, many outdoor options, instructional and equipment support as well as shops, restaurants and bars. Most of my food was provided by a business conference but still quite tasty. The staff is charming and worth of the vacation resort experience. There is a decent sized meeting facility, but it would not handle more than about 500 folks, less with break out sessions.

The hotel itself is part of a coordinated community roughly 4 miles from Park City itself. I'm not a personal fan of that approach, and this is no exception. There is no real character, and everything looks alike. Still, the chair lifts come right to the back patios, and the whole setting is optimized for ski season.

There is a spa, pool, and separate fitness center. The latter has cardio, free weights and weight machines. It's a little small for the size of the hotel, but most folks who come there are planning to get their exercise outdoors, so this isn't a big deal.

There is parking below the garage for $16/day whether self parked or valet. There is a free gravel lot, which is nice if you'd rather not spend the money. Views are typical (and great). access is easy, with I-80 a brief drive down a four lane road.

Room Tip: Good views all around. The rooms on the back face directly into the first hill, limiting privacy eve...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
IDailey, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Thank you very much for this review of the Grand Summit Hotel. You have touched on many points of our Resort and hotel that we are indeed very proud of such as the "charming" staff and the "tasty" banquet food options.

We do offer several room types that may better accommodate business travelers such as yourself and your feedback regarding the room is much appreciated. We value our conference business during the summer season greatly and we always do our best to provide a great experience to all our guests, summer or winter. This feedback will allow us to better anticipate the needs of visitors such as yourself.

Once again, I truly appreciate the kind words you have provided us and more importantly the feedback that will allow us to improve our property for all our travelers. I hope that you will join us sometime during the winter months to experience Canyons during peak season and I truly hope you find your way back during the summer so we can provide exactly the experience you expect and deserve.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed for one night for a quick getaway. Room was pretty small, but would have been used as the bedroom had we elected for the one bedroom suite. It was nice and clean with a fireplace, balcony and a jetted tub. Hotel is nicely decorated. All the restaurants close early but we understood that this is not their prime season, so it was not a problem for us. Didn't get a chance to use the pool or hot tubs, but it looks like a beautiful pool. Overall nice place to stay in a beautiful area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank terri09009
IDailey, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Thank you for your kind review of the Grand Summit Hotel. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your "quick getaway" with us here at Canyons. Our Housekeeping team does a fabulous job maintaining our rooms and I am happy that your room was "nice and clean" and you enjoyed the fireplace and jetted tub.

I would love to invite you back as we soon move into our winter season so you can experience the full offerings of Canyons Resort. The pool is indeed beautiful and open year round, we have an amazing selection of restaurants, and we would enjoy hosting you again for a longer, relaxing vacation.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Room did have a jacuzzi tub, which was very nice. It was almost impossible to call the front desk, the phone continually rolled over to "try your call again later". Restuarants close at 10:00 PM in the summer, unfortunately I arrived at 10:30 PM after a day of travel to no food. Only "desk" in the room was a folding tv/dinner table. The pool was fine, a little noisy, first night was noisy until after 12:30 AM. Restuarant was so-so.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ski lift gondola and the pool if you want quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
IDailey, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Grand Summit Hotel at Canyons. I am very sorry to hear you encountered several service shortcomings during you stay. I appreciate you taking the time to provide us this feedback to help us prevent these concerns as we go forward.

It is unfortunate you experienced such trouble with your phone. We do attempt to have systems in place to always allow our guests to get an actual person on the line. We are also hoping to expand our late night offerings in the future and we recognize this is a great area of opportunity at Canyons. We are very proud of our outlets here at Canyons and I will be sure to pass your feedback on to the appropriate managers.

If you would like to discuss your stay further, I would encourage you to reach out to me directly at the resort as I would appreciate any feedback you have to offer. Our goal is to build an extraordinary experience for all our guests and we failed to do so for you. If you were so kind as to give us a second chance, I assure you that we would not let you down.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

After deciding to go to Park City for our summer family vacation, I did a lot of research on each of the resorts and decided on the Canyons as our base camp. I liked the location and activities offered. I then looked at several facilities, targeting the Grand Summit. I could not have been more pleased by my choice. The facility itself is beautiful and fairly easy to find your way around. The Summit is much easier on the pocketbook than the Waldorf, although the Waldorf is an incredible property. I liked the fact that our resort was right up against the mountain, within steps of gondolas, restaurants, bike rentals and free-concert stage. I found our unit on another vacation rental site and rented directly from an owner. I would highly recommend this as you will save tons of money and probably get a bigger unit. Our unit was two bed rooms and a great room, kitchen and three baths. It slept 8, but we had only four members so we were very comfortable. The units can also be rented as smaller units with the ability to close off your particular door. The hotel was relatively empty so there was no problems with waiting for anything. The pool is very well kept and heated. All the staff, from the front desk to housekeeping to waiters/waitresses were all friendly, helpful and upbeat. The Grand Summit is a fantastic location for winter vacations but expect to pay three times the amount during high-season times. There was a miss-communication about the mid-week cleaning that was not performed but the manager took off the charge with little muss or fuss. We did not use the work out facility but did check it out. There were free weights and several elliptic and treadmill machines. it was good but not great. We ate at the Red Pine for dinner the first night. It was what I would consider Southwestern fare and a bit pricey. We ordered mostly appetizers that were enough for dinner. The food was good but not great (3 out of 5). The cost for bike rental was steep; $50 for the day and if you want to take it up on the mountain, the gondola is $15 per person, per day. For these two reasons, I lowered the "value" score one notch.

Room Tip: Research vacation rental sites for units already owned and rent through them. We saved about 50% and...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank clipto1

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Grand Summit! I am so happy to hear that you "could not have been more pleased" by your decision and that you found our mountain side location to be perfect for your summer vacation. I am happy to hear that your unit was comfortable and well suited to your needs.

We take great pride in our culture of service here at Canyons and I am so pleased that "all the staff, from the front desk to houskeeeping to waiters/waitresses were all friendly, helpful, and upbeat." In an industry as competitive as ours we are very proud of our team of employees and staff who create great experiences for our guests day in and day out. It is fantastic they were able to do just that for you and your family.

Once again I am so pleased you enjoyed your time at Canyons and I encourage you to visit us again for your next vacation to experience all we have to offer any season of the year!

Reviewed August 1, 2012

We booked a 2-night stay for my sister's bachelorette weekend. Because we wanted it to be special, we opted for the higher-priced Grand Summit versus the Sun Dial Lodge. The two nights came to about $950 for a very nice, mountain-view 2-bedroom.

The good: Housekeeping was prompt, rooms were clean, the view was awesome. The gondola ride and hike were wonderful.

The could-be-better: Our room wasn't reading at 2:30, which was fine. Check-in is at 4:00. The front desk was to call me when our room was reading, which was not until 4:38. Not a lot, but really, when you're paying that much in the summer? They rushed us through at the front desk, not even giving us the daily schedule of events or telling us where the elevator is located (at the back of the lobby) in their rush to get to a bridal party behind us.

Another reason we booked here was because of a cool fitness schedule I found on-line. We wanted to do the mountainside yoga listed at 9:00 a.m. or the led trail run, which was earlier. When we called to reserve spots, we were told that NO classes are held anymore. Huh? This is NICE resort and they just completely dumped the entire schedule, though the web page still exists. Saturday morning, we went to have breakfast at the Red Pine, downstairs, and were refused, as it was 11:07 and breakfast is over at 11:00. I can understand the refusal during ski season, but the restaurant was about 1/4 full, and no other patrons were there for lunch. Breakfast orders were still being delivered. The menu is mexican, and who wants fish tacos at 11:00 a.m.? Again, this is the sort of little thing that you expect a higher-end place to accomodate a little on. We decided, after looking through materials AT THE RESTAURANT, that we would take the gondola up ($15 apiece) to eat on the mountain. The resort guide there at the Red Pine said there was a restaurant up there with "American Classics." When we got there, we were told that they no longer have table service there. It's cafeteria style only now, and fairly bare bones at that. Sandwiches, no burgers, no soups, no fries...

It's as if the new owners have decided summer customers don't matter. Only one employee seemed to get that servicematters - a wonderful lady up at that cafeteria. She called down to see why they still had outdated restaurant information on display. We could have stayed somewhere less expensive for the very average experience we had there. I understand new owners have taken over; if they want to compete in Park City, they will really need to kick it up several notches.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
IDailey, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Thank you for your review of the Grand Summit. I am so pleased to hear that "Housekeeping was prompt, rooms were clean" and that you enjoyed the view and gondola ride. Without question we live in a breathtakingly beautiful area.

I must apologize sincerely for the Front Desk not returning your call promptly. It is unfortunate that you should experience this during your vacation. We strive for prompt and accurate service at all times and we clearly failed to deliver during your visit.

I am also sorry to hear about the inconsistencies in our Resort offerings. I will be contacting the appropriate parties to correct these anomalies and I thank you so much for your feedback allowing us to prevent this from impacting other guests.

We do strive to provide the highest levels of service to all our guests and I must apologize that your experience did not meet our standards. The only way we can improve is from feedback such as yours and I must thank you for taking the time to share it with us. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would be happy to spend the time.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel located at the base of the mountain. There are so many summer activities to do so it is a great place to hit in any season. The hotel itself seems to be missing something, I cant really put my finger on it but the whole place seemed asleep. My room was very small but functional enough. there is a small gym that is nice and a nice little pool area (nothing special). I ate at "the farm" which had spectacular food and service. At night the whole hotel is shut down and not much to do. I heard there was a free shuttle into town but never saw it or was made aware of it by the staff.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
IDailey, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Thank you for review of the Grand Summit. We agree that scenery in the Park City area and at Canyons is breathtaking and we are very happy you enjoyed it. I am also pleased to hear that you experienced the new equipment in our Fitness Center as well as our pool. We are currently adding new pool furniture to enhance the area as well. As the Farm is our flagship restaurant I am so pleased to hear of your experience with our amazing staff and the "spectacular food and service."

Admittedly, our summer operation is very different than our winter offering. We do offer a free shuttle into town during the winter season, however, it is discontinued during summer. The city transit system is excellent and we rely on that to provide guest transportation into town in the summer.

I am happy to hear your enjoyed your time here and I would like to invite you back during winter to experience our full line of offerings at the resort. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me at your convenience.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

We live in nearby Salt Lake City and needed to get away from the house for a week. My wife found a great deal by calling the Grand Summit which is a full service facility. We had a ski in ski out room. There was no snow when we got there so the skiing was marginal. At noon on that first day it started to dump and continued for five days. It was great. We had to buy better ski clothing to accomodate to quickly changing weather and we got a discount from a friends husband who work at the resort. The restaurants we tried were wonderful. One was under renovation but others were specatular. The Cabin is super. The help is great.

Room Tip: There is no predicting the weather or the amount of snow but this place can make any situation great...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Edward T

What an exceptional review of Canyons and The Grand Summit! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. Without question, when the snow starts flying in Park City it becomes a truly magical place. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed our ski experience and that you felt "this place can make any situation great." The dining at Canyons Resort is quickly becoming the talk of the town and I am happy to hear you enjoyed yourself in our outlets.

Our employees at Canyons Resort are some of the friendliest in the industry and I am pleased to hear your experience with all of them was exceptional. We are looking forward to a great ski season this coming winter and I am very excited for you and your family to join us again for a winter retreat. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you soon!