“Not great, not bad ... very average”
Review of Outback Steakhouse

Outback Steakhouse
Ranked #43 of 232 Restaurants in Orem
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I visited recently on a Friday night, and the place was jammed. It’s clearly popular with locals!

The wait was 40 minutes to be seated, another ten for my order to be taken, and five minutes more before a drink (it was water -- simple!) was brought to my table. Given the huge crowd, the 40 minute wait is understandable, but not the 15 minutes for water arriving at the table… The server was friendly and helpful if somewhat inefficient. I’ve been to other Outback locations where the manager stops by the table to check on everything—in this case, the busy Friday night may have kept such a person too busy to check in on guests.

The location itself is convenient if you are driving; for those relying on mass transit, your only option would be the bus, so could be a challenge. The restaurant is located in a strip mall, and the dining area has not been dressed up that much, so you feel as though you’re dining in a strip mall. Not bad, I suppose, especially for a chain, but the décor and atmosphere are fairly bland. One issue you’ll find is that the seating is nearly all open plan – there are very few booths or walls or dividers to create privacy, so it’s not the place for a quiet conversation. Lighting level is good, and because you’re in a strip mall, there are no stairs, so disabled access is excellent. No views, but at this price it would be unfair to expect much. Overall, there is a “stock standard” sort of feel to the place … and that carries over to the food.

I ordered the prime rib with fries, sautéed mushrooms, and a house salad on the side. The salad arrived fairly quickly, and was reasonably fresh, although there was insufficient dressing (and I’m not big on dressing). When the main course arrived, the meat was flavorful if not completely tender; not bad. The fries were very greasy, the mushrooms slightly undercooked and lukewarm. Overall, the presentation fell a little flat—the meal was rather plain.

In sum, you’re paying a slightly above average price for a location, meal and service that is average at best. And that’s the trouble: There’s not a lot wrong with the place, but on the other hand, there isn’t anything that is compelling about it either. Safe enough to eat there if you like the brand or the menu, but otherwise you’re safe to skip.

Hope this helps!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

It has been years since the last visit and now I am remembering why. Long wait, not very friendly staff and EXTREMELY expensive for so-so food. Glad I had gift cards, wasn't worth MY money.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

After a full day on the road from Yellowstone N.P. to Orem, UT, my wife and I were ready for a full meal. We found an Outback only about 1 mile from our hotel. Being about 7:15 on a Friday night, they were slammed. Rather than wait 20-30 minutes for a table, we opted to eat at the bar. We had our "usual" order here: Victoria's filet (6-oz., medium rare tending toward rare) with the chopped pecan, bleu cheese chopped salad and baked sweet potato. It was good as usual, although the filet was not seasoned quite as good as usual. We did have to request the (delicious) bread twice. We then shared 3 glasses of cab. It was a very good meal on a busy night.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband got a gift card for here for Father's day so one night we gave Grandma her Grandson's and went out on a date. We hadn't been here in years so we were hoping for the best. Since it was just the two of us, I decided I would order a drink. ;-D I looked thru the drink menu and couldn't find anything that sounded yummy. When the waitress came over to ask for our drink choices, she seen me looking at the menu and she asked if she could suggest something. It wasn't in the menu so she described it and it sounded perfect. She let us know that the best bartenders were working that night so I said "I'll take one!" OMG, it was the best drink I've ever had! It was a key-lime coconut-rita. YUM
Then we ordered our dinner. I ordered the half-rack, which my husband changed to a full and he ordered a steak. When the food arrived, it just doesn't seem like its enuf to fill you up for the price your paying. My ribs were yummy and I only ate half. My husband said his steak was gross and so he ate the other half of mine. Good thing he changed mine.

1  Thank bcrj1234
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Just returned from a visit to the Outback in Orem, Utah, to celebrate my son's birthday. Outback has always been a favorite in our family, and we would go there for a special occasion. Even if it wasn't some celebration, just a meal there was a special occasion! We loved it.

But things change. Our party consisted of myself, my son, and his wife. A small party to handle. Saturday evening, but we arrived relatively early, about 4:30 pm. Only had to wait maybe 10 minutes for a table, which was a good sign. Ordered an appetizer (the deadly cheese fries!) and water. Appetizer arrived promptly and was hot. Server took our orders, giving us a comfortable time to relax and examine the menu. We had to ask for flatware and napkins after the appetizer arrived, but that is a minor thing. The entrees came after a reasonable time. The food was very good, but seemed sparser than previous visits (again, things change, and I have noticed that all the big chains seem to have cut back on the portions while increasing the prices). Then we requested another loaf of bread, which came just before we finished the meal, and was kind of plopped on the cutting board (no more butter for us). My main complaint, though, is the lack of water. From the time we got REALLY thirsty --to the point that we could not eat-- to the time a water refill arrived was 17 minutes. Yes, we did time it. No, we couldn't get a server's attention.

The server brought us new water glasses, saying something about "we can't find the water refill thing anywhere!" Shouldn't they have more than one pitcher to refill water glasses? We were overjoyed to get water, drank it down, and set in again on our steaks... which were now cold.

Then the check arrived. Suddenly. No "would you care for dessert?" Which we did care for, this being a birthday. But we didn't point that out, agreeing that, based on the experience so far, it might be a long time coming.