“Great dinner!”

Rovali's Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #5 of 366 Restaurants in Ogden
Cuisines: Italian, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Rovali's Ristorante Italiano is located on Historic 25th Street in Ogden Utah. Our building is over 106 years old and has a very authentic atmosphere with our old brick walls and wooden floors. Our decor is old school Italian and we have a patio for outside dining and special events! Rovali's Ristorante is a family owned and operated Italian restaurant. We strive for the very best and authentic Italian food. We also strive for the perfect Italian eating experience; from the ambiance to our service. We want you to feel right at home when you visit our restaurant! Rovali's is unique in many ways. We have a full service Espresso bar and we have a wide variety of cocktails, beer and drinks to choose from. We also make our desserts from scratch. Andrea is our baker and one of the owners. She brings an incredible talent for your palette. Chef Ro has more than 20 years of experience in cooking fine Italian Cuisine. We call him the Master of Spice for his unmatched cooking style.We also have many gluten free options, as well as, vegetarian sauces and entrees! See more on our menus. Entertainment has always been part of the Rovali's experience. We bring in live music every Friday and Saturday night from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. ( 7:00 to 9:00 during summer months) for your enjoyment. We have some of the best local artists and our talent pool keeps growing!
virginia
“Great dinner!”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

What a nice dinner we had. We were passing through town, found this place on trip advisor and asked our hotel staff about it. They said go! It was not overly busy the day we were there (it was a Thursday) so we were seated right away. We were greeted kindly and checked on often. Our food was very good. I had one of the specials (a salmon dish) it was wonderful, my husband and daughter ordered off the regular menu and enjoyed their meals as well. We also had a bottle of wine. We were too full to try their dessert but what we did see looked great. It seems they have live music over the weekend and I'm sure it's quite busy then, so maybe go early if your there over a weekend.

• Visited August 2013

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Great Italian Food and the desserts...oh my”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Great place to eat in downtown Ogden. My husband and I love this place. We especially LOVE their desserts. And their chocolate chip cookies...it may sound strange but we drive here just to get the best cookies in town.

• Visited June 2013
Ogden, Utah
“The ambiance is the best part”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I love eating outside. They have a nice patio. The inside décor also has a great vibe. However, I have never loved any of the meals I have had here. I feel like the pasta I make at home is a lot better and cheaper! The desserts are good, I like the variety.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank TabithaStrecker
Fruit Heights, Utah
“Thanks for an enjoyable evening”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We so enjoyed our experience at Rovali's. The food was excellent, service was top notch, and the atmosphere was fantastic. We will definately be back!

Visited June 2013
wyoming
“Unimpressive on a number of levels”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is an odd review to write as parts of the experience were very good - at least for me - but they screwed enough stuff up to make for an unpleasant time and an unlikely return.

Our party initially selected this restaurant as it was convenient to the Ogden Marathon/Half-Marathon expo (most of us were running the next day) and because of it's advertisement as a good gluten-free option (two members of our party were on a gluten-free diet). When we arrived, it was busy and we were informed that it would be a 45-60 minute wait. This was fine and somewhat anticipated, given the nearby race expo and the proclivity of runners to stuff themselves with everything italian ahead of time so that they can propel themselves to carbo-infused victory (plus or minus a bowel movement or two).

After 45 minutes, we were told that we would be next on the list and should be seated momentarily, which was great....until pretty much everyone else who was waiting was seated ahead of us. Finally, after another 40 minutes of this, a member of our party went and asked how much longer we could expect, explaining in polite, but no uncertain terms that we had been waiting for awhile. The hostess, whose name I regrettably didn't get, sweetly replied, and I quote "but you've only been waiting 20 minutes over the expected time!"

After obtaining chisels and prying the dumbstruck look off of our faces, we dutifully returned to our places in the 'waiting area' - a small bench off to the side to cast passive-aggressively evil stares toward all patrons who appeared remotely close to finishing. 10 minutes later, we were finally reprieved after the party closed to our evil stares finally relented and took off. A funny moment ensued as the fellow who sat us handed out menus and then proceded to hold mine up in front of his face while he gave us some garble about how there was normally music in the waiting area (which surely would helped us to dance our cares away), which I interrupted to more or less snatch my menu out of his hands and inform him of my apathy.

All seemed to finally be well after that, as we were given a friendly and attentive server (whose name I also regrettably did not get). The menu featured numerous yummy options, with the gluten-free choices neatly color-coded. The only problem? Wait for it..........they were OUT of gluten-free options. Given this revelation after all that had already transpired, our gluten-free companions were a tad less than amused (I kind of felt bad for the server at this point). They almost left, but realizing that similar cattle-herding practices were probably taking place at the other local spots by this point, grudgingly stayed and went to town on their salads. Fortunately, one of the gluten-free crew was not running, but for the other, well, any other running junkie will tell you about the woeful inadequacy of a salad before running a marathon.

Though my pasta dish was decent enough and our server was great (and able to dock 15% from the bill), the experience was more-or-less ruined by what our companions went through and the pathetic behavior of the host/hostesses. In the first place, wait times are typically shorter than those posted, so you can expect patrons to be somewhat cranky when their actual wait time was actually DOUBLE what was given. This alone is highly unprofessional, not to mention the way in which we were brushed off after having spoken up. The hostess in question could expect some disciplinary consequences had I been a manager and witnessed this behavior.

Regarding the gluten-free food, stuff happens and people run out of things, but it's not like we're talking about salad forks and hummus here. It is flat-out shady to advertise yourself as gluten-free and attract people with some pretty significant dietary restrictions, then be unable to deliver as promised and severely restrict their menu choices - before an event that requires meticulous dietary preparation, no less.

Given that I enjoyed my meal and service (after being delivered into the hands of the competent waitstaff), I might be persuaded to give it another try on my own during less busy times. Obviously I would never set foot in here again if I were gluten-free, since it's clearly on a first-come, first-serve basis and will be telling other gluten-free friends that much.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank pknight212
alexm731, Owner at Rovali's Ristorante Italiano, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We are sorry you had a bad experience at Rovali's. The Ogden Marathon is one of the biggest events for the restaurants located on Historic 25th Street. We had a steady stream of customers from 11:00 a.m. until closing. Because of the number of customers that ordered gluten free entrees we were not able to fill the orders in the latter part of the evening. I was the gentleman that sat you and I was very concerned about your wait time.

Since you did like our food I would ask that you give us another shot and bring your friends that are gluten free and I can promise we will have the dishes they want that are on our menu.

I have to say it was a tough night and very busy night, but we love serving our customers and we will learn from this review!

Thanks,