“Ogden's best sushi!”

Ranked #1 of 366 Restaurants in Ogden
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located on Historic 25th Street in Ogden, Utah, Tona provides a big city taste in a friendly and relaxed setting. Choose between the main dining area, the semi-private guest room, or watch chef's creations first hand at the sushi bar. Experience unique and original creations using only the freshest fish and truly authentic ingredients. Tona supports local farm fresh produce. Chefs at Tona create dishes around seasonal goods. Guests who come to Tona can expect to savor dishes they have not tried before. Our menu also offers inventive and tasty grilled and tempura items for those looking for more traditional fare. Please note that Tona accepts a limited number of reservations each night and leaves the majority of seating open to walk-in guests.
Fruit Heights
“Ogden's best sushi!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have been to Tona several times. As a local in Ogden I would say this is one of the best restaurants in Ogden and definitely the best sushi.. The food is high quality and I have never had anything I didn't like or any "fishy-tasting" rolls. The service is great too and the owners run a tight ship to ensure the consistency they have developed. The only reason I didn't give a fifth star was because I would like them to be more in tune to using sustainable fish sources. If you are in Ogden though make sure to give this place a try.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank lizardroberts

Alexandria, Va
“Great sushi, be sure to get reservations!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was by far the best restaurant in the area -- so much so, we ate here twice for lunch (easier to get a table) and dinner (advance reservations required). The sushi choices are fabulous and innovative. The service was spot-on, especially if you eat at the bar where the sushi chefs can hand you your dishes as soon as they're prepared. Plus we brought our own wine, and corking fee was not bad, think $8.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank rdytogo_always
Kaysville, Utah
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best sushi in Utah”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I loved the atmosphere of this little place. I looooove sushi and this place is honestly the best it gets! Normally I don't have a problem with service. The last waiter we had wasn't on top of things, but the food is absolutely worth it. Be sure to make reservations so you and your party can enjoy the small room! It's worth it! :)

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Rachel P
Ogden, Utah
“Like Dorothy says, "There's no place like home."”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I do not consider ourselves "world travelers", rather "works in progress." We have seen many of the world's capitols... London, Paris, Rome, Hong Kong, Beijing and more exotic places like Istanbul, Cairo, the Serengeti, Machu Picchu... you get the idea.

Food wise, we especially treasure a tiny eatery under the Yamanote train tracks in Tokyo, an Argentine parrilla among the warehouses of Buenos Aires, a shrimp shack just past the North Shore in Oahu and an English pub in Sydney... but, sometimes... "there's no place like home."

Who would guess? In pint sized, Ogden, Utah, 30 miles north of Salt Lake City, one of the best, most satisfying meals awaits the unsuspecting. My wife and I characterize an evening at Tona as having "hit all our taste buds!" She likes the beef teriyaki bento box. As for me, I love the unagi (freshwater eel) and hamachi (yellowtail) nigiri. But the most amazing thing is how Tony, half of the husband-wife ownership... Tina being the other half... constantly adds new items and tastes to the Tona repertoire. For a while I couldn't get enough of their Asian Style Ribs. Every once and a while my wife will stray from her bento box for their lobster special... when they offer it.

It was last night, however, after trying a new offering, "beer batter fish and chips", that I realized I must share my thoughts with you. It really wasn't fish and chips as we know it. Each dollar sized piece of cod was dipped in a beer batter, tempura like coating before being fried. So light and crunchy that you could actually taste the delicate cod within. No tartar sauce here. Just a plum dipping "dashi" (broth) which I followed with a hashi (chopsticks) sized bit of gohan (cooked rice). Deep fried kale, carrots and, of course, "chips" rounded out the "small plate".

Hint: One evening, if you find yourself in Ogden during a snow go immediately to Tona, order a glass of wine (riesling seems a good match), unagi nigiri and watch the flakes come down. The combination of the street ambiance, the pole light just outside the front door and the wine is so serene and beautiful that you will never forget it... at least I can't!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Douglas Y
Ogden, Utah
“My favorite sushi place”
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

This has become my only sushi restaurant. I've tried other places around town and nothing compares to the quality, service and art that can be found at Tona. The albacore nigiri is sublime. Locally grown produce flavors the menu which offers other Japanese items for those in your party who are not into sushi. My husband was a fast fan of the rice tots.

1 Thank Jennifer K