“A very nice place but bring earplugs for the trains that run nearby”

Best Western Plus High Country Inn
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Ogden
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This place is very nice with a lodge type of look. Our room was clean and decently decorated. I liked the little touches that made if different from other motels. There were little tiffany type lamps which was a nice touch and the door to the bathroom wasn't a standard door but had a decorative touch to it. The room could use more lighting. There is a pond out back where you can walk and feed the fish. The staff were friendly when we checked in.
This isn't a place I would stay for any length of time. The pool is very small especially for how big the place is. The exercise room seemed pretty decent. The equipment looked like it was better than most and it actually had a weight machine in there. The hot tub is very small. I don't think the size of the amenities matched the size of the hotel.
There isn't a breakfast at this hotel which I thought was odd. This is the first place in a long time that didn't have that. On the other hand there is a restaurant on the property. We had dinner there and what we had was okay but nothing special.
I really did like the hotel but I probably wouldn't stay here again because there is a train that ran several times during the night and it must have been fairly close although for the price I can't complain too much.

Room Tip: Maybe getting a room in the front would lessen the noise from the train
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
bwhci, General Manager at Best Western Plus High Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for the very detailed review of our property. It is not very often that I get that much usable feedback from a guest. I do apologize that the passing trains disrupted your rest. We are working with the railroad to get something worked out, so they do not need to blow the whistle when passing the property. When the property was built in 1979 it only had 60 guest rooms. The pool was built at that time. We now have 109 rooms, and I can see your point that it is little small for the size of the property. Thank you again for you insightful feedback.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Enjoyed our stay here. Hotel is close to many amenities and services. I would recommend this hotel as a good place to stay. We enjoyed the pond and park area behind the hotel. Our room was clean and beds were good.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We very much appreciate your comment regarding the fact that you would recommend our property to an acquaintance. That, too me, is the highest compliment that a guest can pay us. If we do a good enough job for you to recommend us to a friend, we have earned a measure of your trust.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

When we pulled into The High Country Inn, we were immediately impress with the look of the resort. This is an owner who cares about first impressions. The decorating for Halloween and the appeal of the Chalet style office was impressive. Unfortunately we were sad to find that they do not have a breakfast as most of the BW do. We were told that the BW franchisers have a choice of how to deal with this. A restaurant on property or a breakfast nook in house. The BW Plus units seem to have mostly restaurants. The restaurant at High Country was excellent! We were very pleased to have at great late dinner and then a VERY reasonable meal in the morning. We used the senior rate for those over 55 and enjoyed egg, sausage, hash browns, toast for under 5 dollars. Very quick service...amazing! Back on the road quickly! Great stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
bwhci, Manager at Best Western Plus High Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

As I have mentioned in a previous post, this property was built in 1979 and the owners have tried to keep the property looking good with several major renovations along the way. I was glad to hear that you found the outside aesthetics to be pleasing and that you found out what a gem Jeremiah's Restaurant is.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

The front desk staff was great and gave us a great rate. The pool was outside, so was closed. There is no breakfast not even juice or sweet rolls. The room was very clean and met all our needs. There is a restaurant next door that had very good dinners. The room was very clean and met all our needs.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I very much appreciated getting your response. I was pleased to hear that your room was clean and in good working order. I recently stayed in an older upscale property in Texas, and though it was built in the early 1900's and rather small, the rooms were clean and well maintained and that is what I look for most.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpfull. The rooms were nice and quiet. We enjoyed the koi pond and the little park in the rear of the hotel. That was a nice buffer from the highway. The lighting was a little dim but the esthetics were nice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
bwhci, General Manager at Best Western Plus High Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

I love to hear when guests find their way out to our little park and koi pond in the back of the property. We try hard to let folks know about this area, but I still think many miss out on this little oasis. Glad to hear that our staff took good care of you during your stay. Hope to see you back on a future visit.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

NO breakfast provided. Odor in room, Poor lighting in bathroom, heating/air conditioner noisy, OLD blow dryer. No elevators for upstairs access.. you have to carry luggage upstairs. Not my favorite. Because of no breakfast, the front desk kept "pushing" the local restaurant in the parking lot. Wonder if Best Western gets a kick back??

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
bwhci, General Manager at Best Western Plus High Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

We certainly made some mistakes during your stay. I am very sorry that the room you stayed in did not smell fresh and clean and that it had a noisy HVAC unit. I wish I had spoken with you personally so we could get the issues in your room fixed. As to your rhetorical question about the restaurant set up, the folks that own this property do own and operate the restaurant on site. The restaurant has been voted "Best Breakfast" so many times in this area, that we are very proud of it, and try to encourage guests to try it out. I am very sorry if you felt pushed too far by this. I hope that you would consider giving us a second chance to try and make things right should you ever travel through Ogden again.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Excellent hotel an staff rooms are always refreshing and relaxing. One of my most favorite hotel destinations whenever I'm traveling out west. One of my must stay hotel destinations. Looking forward to my next visit. Shaun F.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We all love to have good friends in our life, but there is something special about having a best friend. You can always count on them. I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that our property is a friend that you feel you can count on whenever you come through Ogden. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.