“Mediocre room with inadequate light”

Best Western Plus High Country Inn
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Ogden
Clearwater, Florida
“Mediocre room with inadequate light”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

If you are looking for a room with inadequate lighting and accompanied by road traffic noises this may be the place for you. The door stuck so badly my wife thought the lock wasn't working. Theere is one tiny bulb for a king size bed even though there are two people. The desk lamp offers less light than my laptop cimputer. Therre is an adequate florescent bulb but it is on the floor behind the dresser!!! The carpet in the dressing area is wet indicating a leak somewhere.

I read the review by EQConsultant and doubt that he stayed in the same place we did. The beverage machine took my money and showed empty. When I sought a refund it returned less than I had put in requireing me to go back to the office where a refund was made. I was told that

Room Tip: Furthest from the road or another location
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Sisters, Oregon
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had stayed at the BW High Country Inn 2 years ago as we were headed to float the Green and San Juan Rivers in Utah. We'd had a great experience at the motel and nearby restaurant, Jeremiah's in 2011. We thus decided to use the motel again in 2013 and booked our room online and asked for a room where we could look out at our raft/trailer. The motel honored our request. We were assigned a room on the backside of the motel, which we appreciated.

Unfortunately, we later learned that the train tracks were on the back side of the motel. The last train ran by at 11pm and the first one made its presence known at 5am. Arrgghh.. It didn't help that some young people held a party above our room until 1am. At 12:30am I called the front desk to complain. Nothing was done until the area quieted at 1am.

The room itself had been updated in decorations since our visit in 2011. The bed was advertised as a king. I think it was a queen plus. Definitely not a king, which we have at home because my husband is 6'5" and 235 lbs.

We enjoyed the private garden and pond behind the motel. They do need to clean the pond though. The water was very dirty even though they sold fish food for clients to feed to the fish. The kids never would have seen the fish in that slew!

The next door restaurant, Jeremiah's is consistent. Young waiters try hard to please customers. Dinners are okay in food quality. Breakfasts are great. Hopefully we'll sleep much better for our next visit to this BW in Ogden. We'll give it one more try!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
bwhci, General Manager at Best Western Plus High Country Inn, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your very insightful feedback regarding your stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that you had other guests above your room having a party so late at night. My front desk staff called and asked them to keep the noise level down, but I apologize that they kept the party going for another half hour.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the pond and parkway area that we have in the back. The pond is completely natural, no lining, or chemicals and filled with ground water, so it does get a bit murky from time to time. We appreciate you business and thank you for giving us another chance to serve you again in the future.
Phoenix Arizona
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a great place to stop overnight when traveling across Utah. I stop there annually on my way to Montana. I rented a suite which was spacious, the bathroom had a large jetted tub, bed was comfortable and room was in a very quiet area on the front of the hotel. The back can sometimes get noisy at night as a train runs nearby. The grounds are awesome with a very large green lawn to walk your dog and a koi pond to watch the big colorful fish. This is a real find for you and your pets!

Room Tip: Get a suite. Worth the extra cost in my opinion. The front of the hotel is quieter as a train runs i...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
bwhci, General Manager at Best Western Plus High Country Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback regarding our property. I am happy to hear that we can be a nice rest stop for you on your travels each year. I agree with you that our suites are not that expensive for the added value in the room. Thanks again for the feedback and we hope to see you again in the future!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed here for one night. There is little to complain about but there is little to tempt me back either. The room was very small and the bathroom was so small that the sink was in the bedroom! The room was clean and functional. It would have been nice to have breakfast included. It was ok for a one night stay but would not have wanted to stay there any longer.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Converse, Texas, United States
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Right off 84 in Ogden, Utah. A smaller very nice Best Western. I was driving a Uhaul and towing a car and they asked me not to park on the property, but had parking available across the street. The hotel and rooms were very nice. Everything was modern and up to date. Complimentary breakfast in the morning.

Room Tip: I carry a small flashlight and check every room for bedbugs before I unpack. I have read that they...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hood River, Oregon
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Very clean,roomy,comfortable The staff most friendly lots of amenities coffee in room microwave large flat screen tv full breakfast in the morning beds really comfortable room was quite Wish I could have stayed longer

Room Tip: mine was a ground level very quite
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank betty p
Cedar City, Utah, Usa
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Two colleagues and I were visiting for a national conference. We were excited to find a hotel that was less expensive than those who were even giving special rates for the conference. However, the hotel was located significantly further from the conference than the website listed. Furthermore, for being part of Best Western Plus, there wasn't much "plus" about it. There was no continental breakfast or particularly special accommodations. We were pleased with the convenient access to the freeway, but were startled by the train at 2am rumbling down the tracks (separated only by a field). It served its purpose, but wasn't amazing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business