“Where's Chef Robert Irvine?”
Review of Athenian - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cuisines: Greek
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

This is straight off an episode of "Restaurant Impossible" pre-make over. Wow! It's old, dingy, dirty and the food would be thrown off the table if Chef Irvine was there. There was hair in my food, floaters in my glass and the waitress put her hand all over our Pita bread. Yeah, no, find yourself a McDonalds.

1  Thank Sortapicky

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Really good Greek food, very tasty, clean place, good service, great price. I recommend, I've been there lots of times, most definetly come back!

Reviewed December 16, 2013

DO NOT EAT AT THE ATHENIAN if you want to have a good dining experience!!!

I have eaten at the Athenian several times over the past ten years. I live in Salt Lake City and travel to Ogden for a change in scenery and to go to events at the Union Station or see the Christmas Village and lights setup in the park.

I chose the Athenian and it turned out to be a huge mistake. The service staff was horrible. Yes, I had five children ages 5-14 and getting their orders together is always a challenge, but that should not stop the waitress from getting the order together once we get it figured out and tell her and tip graciously for putting up. She seemed to have it correct by the fact that she did not repeat it back, but she apparently missed a lot.

We asked for two Greek Salads to share with everyone (8 people) so they brought the salads, but no plates/bowls. They seemed confused when we said we need plates or bowls. They did not have all the sodas on the menu and were possibly opening bottles to give us which some were flat, never offered refills.

We order and appetizer of Tyropita which we never got. We ordered a hamburger for my 5 year old daughter which they never brought, even after repeated reminders.

My step son finally got his Philly cheese steak after everyone else finished their meals and we were reminding them to get it and the hamburger.

We arrived about 5:10 PM on Saturday and there was only one other table occupied. We were there until about 7:00 PM.

After repeatedly asking for my 5 year old's hamburger, eventually the waitress brought us the dinner tab for $74.

They never asked how the food tasted (Marginal..the gyros were good, everything else was blah). They could not keep up with the tables that filled up throughout the evening and they were constantly saying the "I'm Sorry about the wait." to everyone else that came after us.

I took the waitress aside and privately and explained everything that was unsatisfactory with the dinner. She gave me a bunch of lame excuses but she did say sorry, but I told her I was only going to pay what I thought was fair...$40.00.

After we left, my mom went back to check if we had left my son's sweater and while back in the restaurant, there was a man that was complaining to my mom about why I only partially paid the dinner bill. He was very rude to her. My mom explained all the reasons of the horribly poor service and less poor quality of some of the dishes.

Also, she explained about the missed orders and that my 5 year old never got her meal. The man replied "I don't care about your 5 year old!".

I did not know this happened because I went to the Rooster's Bar and Grill across the street to order a hamburger for my daughter while the rest of my family walked around the Christmas Village at the City park.

I did not find out until later what that jerk-hole said to my mom, otherwise I would have been right back there creating a HUGE problem for them.

By the way...in case you are wondering, we always try to be polite and mindful of the usual dining process and did not feel we brought this problem on ourselves.

I have dined in hundreds of restaurants in my life and on every level of the spectrum in at least 30 different States coast to coast, and 5 countries...so yes, I have an idea of what good meal service ought to be and yes, I do understand when things don't go right and I am always understanding when the staff knows they are having trouble. Also, my wife was a waitress for years in her younger days and was just astonished at this poor services. In this case, however, they DID NOT CARE!!!!! They made no effort to offer an apology, a free appetizer or dessert, or any discount on the bill, nor did they care that they completely missed providing and ordered meal.

Yes...don't worry, my daughter was given bits of our meals to keep her sustained, but we were waiting for her meal that never came.

There were other people in the restaurant that left without being served that night. Another couple with two small toddlers finally left after being seated because no one was serving them. Another table near us said their order was screwed up too!

So, to the community leaders of Ogden....we rode the Frontrunner Train to Ogden to spend money in your city and to enjoy a family activity by visiting the Christmas Village and lights in the park and this is what happened. I know the Athenian has been there a long time, but I can't imagine them being there much longer if this is how they do business. I will never eat at that restaurant again and IF I decide to ever visit Ogden again, I will take my family and my dollars to Roosters or the Union Grill, or any of the other eating establishments but NOT to the Athenian. This is even more disappointing because I am Greek and ashamed to share that with you.

Hey Athenian Staff.....when you wonder why you have to close your doors due to lack of customers....read these posts!!!!...oh that's right...."YOU DON"T CARE!!!!

1  Thank 117CFS
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I'm not sure what happened. I'll admit, it had been some time since my wife and I had eaten at the Athenian, but upon our most recent visit we are all but appalled. First, our waitress seemed like no tip we could possibly give her would make it worth serving us with a smile. She and the other members of the wait staff (and kitchen, presumably) were far to busy entertaining their friends at the other end of the restaurant, while my wife and I were the only patrons there for dinner service (five o'clock sharp on a Thursday night). The wait wasn't unacceptable, but what we were served was. On past visits, the food was memorably good. I don't know what happened, but time it was memorably bad. My rice pilaf was absolutely riddled with uncooked grains. My "lamb" more resembled a few strips of overly fatty roast beef than slow cooked lamb. Everything was dry, under seasoned, and our appetizer (tyropita) was cold and dry. I hate to say this because historically this had been one of our favorite Greek places, but I don't think I'll be returning. I think i'd rather have my Greek food out of the Mall food court.

1  Thank Jacob E
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We went for lunch to this restaurant. There were only a few other customers, but my wife had to wait for 45 minutes (!) to get her main dish. Moreover, the waitress was neither particularly friendly nor attentive, although she eventually apologized for the long wait (which was the cook's fault). The food, when it arrived, was very good; no complaints there.

1  Thank Bruno R