“Great atmosphere!”

Prairie Schooner Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 366 Restaurants in Ogden
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
American Fork, Utah
“Great atmosphere!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went there to celebrate our anniversary. We loved it! Our server was awesome!!!!!!! The food was really good as well. It was a little pricey but for a special occasion it was nice. I would go back if I am back in the same area.

• Visited April 2013

South Ogden, Utah, United States
“Fun Experience”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I took my husband here for this birthday, He loves the Timerbime in the canyon and had heard this was similar but more fun. This place is expensive! The decor was fun and sitting in the wagons was worth the experience. The fried mushrooms were GREAT not oily or soggy nice crunch to them. The main entree on the other hand was sub par. They were out of Prime Rib and that was a bummer. I had the country fried steak, Dry and over cooked, mashed potatoes were good though. My husband had the New York Strip and had stated wasn't cooked medium rare, cut into it for the waitress to show her and she said that's how they did medium rare, it looked more medium well. Overall it was fun to go but would not be going back the food for the price wasn't worth it. Timerbine is our place.

• Visited March 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Not worth the trip”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The ambiance is pleasant but they need to spend a little more time on the quality and flavor of their food. You can get cafeteria tasting food someplace else for cheaper.

2 Thank LezlieBrady
Ogden, Utah
“Great steaks with a Western flair”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My three companions and I dined at the Prairie Schooner on a Friday evening. The restaurant is Western themed, with an exterior of weathered barn board and hitching rails. Inside is similarly decorated with trophy game animals and hides adorning the walls, and antique ranch equipment scattered throughout. In the main dining room, guests sit in replica covered wagons gazing out on a nighttime Western campfire scene, complete with buffalo skulls, cactus, and a stuffed wolf, bear and rattlesnake. With its nighttime sky and flickering firelight, the dining room is quite dark, and the critters may be a bit too realistic and scary for very small children.

As you would expect of a western steak house, the Prairie Schooner menu is all about the meat. They have a large selection of beef cuts, as well as pork, chicken and a smaller selection of seafood. Three of us ordered steak, and the fourth chicken. We started out with hefty salads of mixed greens and a loaf of fresh hot bread. The main course arrived and we found our steaks cooked perfectly, tender and flavorful with a minimum of waste. The fresh vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots) were cooked just right - a bit al dente, but not rock hard as we often find when we dine out. The only disappointment was that the potatoes au gratin, although delicious, was nearly cold. I asked for a replacement and it arrived shorttly, but wasn't much warmer. Our waiter was very attentive and refilled drinks and checked on us often. We wished we'd had room for one of the yummy-looking desserts, but the portions are large and we were all stuffed! I would recommend the Prairie Schooner if you are looking for great steak dinner at a fair price and an unusual atmosphere. It's an excellent place to take out-of-town guests for the unique Western decor and satisfying food.

• Visited March 2013
PIttsford
“Take your chances!”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Been here many times. The service has always been grand. Sometimes their food is excellent and sometimes it's very disappointing. Their baked sweet potatoes are out of this world! My husband enjoys their prime rib but have tried their steak and at times it's tough (can't even chew it). The atmosphere is quiet and nice for a romantic evening or visiting; the covered wagons appeal to the kids and my mother-in-law but with the higher prices we don't take the children unless it's a special occasion.

• Visited November 2012