“Great steaks with a Western flair”

Prairie Schooner Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 372 Restaurants in Ogden
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My three companions and I dined at the Prairie Schooner on a Friday evening. The restaurant is Western themed, with an exterior of weathered barn board and hitching rails. Inside is similarly decorated with trophy game animals and hides adorning the walls, and antique ranch equipment scattered throughout. In the main dining room, guests sit in replica covered wagons gazing out on a nighttime Western campfire scene, complete with buffalo skulls, cactus, and a stuffed wolf, bear and rattlesnake. With its nighttime sky and flickering firelight, the dining room is quite dark, and the critters may be a bit too realistic and scary for very small children.

As you would expect of a western steak house, the Prairie Schooner menu is all about the meat. They have a large selection of beef cuts, as well as pork, chicken and a smaller selection of seafood. Three of us ordered steak, and the fourth chicken. We started out with hefty salads of mixed greens and a loaf of fresh hot bread. The main course arrived and we found our steaks cooked perfectly, tender and flavorful with a minimum of waste. The fresh vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots) were cooked just right - a bit al dente, but not rock hard as we often find when we dine out. The only disappointment was that the potatoes au gratin, although delicious, was nearly cold. I asked for a replacement and it arrived shorttly, but wasn't much warmer. Our waiter was very attentive and refilled drinks and checked on us often. We wished we'd had room for one of the yummy-looking desserts, but the portions are large and we were all stuffed! I would recommend the Prairie Schooner if you are looking for great steak dinner at a fair price and an unusual atmosphere. It's an excellent place to take out-of-town guests for the unique Western decor and satisfying food.

There are newer reviews for Prairie Schooner Restaurant

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Been here many times. The service has always been grand. Sometimes their food is excellent and sometimes it's very disappointing. Their baked sweet potatoes are out of this world! My husband enjoys their prime rib but have tried their steak and at times it's tough (can't even chew it). The atmosphere is quiet and nice for a romantic evening or visiting; the covered wagons appeal to the kids and my mother-in-law but with the higher prices we don't take the children unless it's a special occasion.

1  Thank momma_n3_travel
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I went for our anniversary. The atmosphere was great, because you sat in a covered wagon and had lots of privacy for the occassion. The service was good, but the food was very poor. The quality was equivalent to Denny's or Shoney's. Very unsatisfied with the taste, presentation and overall quality of the meal. The lighting and decor was very nice and the staff was great!. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. Definately overpriced!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Go here for the dining environment and service more than the food. The food isn't bad, it just isn't great.
You sit in an 1890's type covered wagon, or "Prairie Schooner" as they call it, and the restaurants name sake. It's always a low light environment there, which I like, with a western landscape and several stuffed animals. This is not your average restaurant decor, it is a nicely done western landscape that reminds you of a living museum; they have a stuffed wolf, bear, badger and rattlesnake. I think it's a very relaxing atmosphere.

You also get to control the light in your covered wagon, which I very much like. Our waitresses there are always friendly and reasonably efficient.

Lunches there are an ok value, dinner is a bit spendy for what you get. The privacy is above average, so a good place for couples wanting to snuggle up, or families with kids can be semi-private.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Prairie Schooner is so named because every dining table is modeled after a prairie schooner; a covered wagon. We enjoyed the atmosphere and it is a place everyone should visit. The prices are a little high for the quality of food.