Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Ogden
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We picked the Ben Lomond over the Marriott for atmosphere, views, price and free covered parking. The receptionist surprised us with an upgrade to an executive suite. The suites are huge, with great 270 degree mountain and city views, two TVs and a (smallish) spa tub. I have to admit that the upgrade influenced my review, but even the standard rooms all have nice views and include a substantial American and Continental breakfast buffet just off the grand lobby. Unfortunately, this historic hotel has suffered a "Radisson-style" makeover in the 80's. Now independent once again, I hope they manage to turn this grand old hotel into an affordable boutique hotel! Three thumbs up.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
StayBenLomondSuites, Manager at Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2011

Thanks so much for the nice review, we have passed it onto the staff at the hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our downtown location and the views of the mountains. Ben Lomond Suites really does have a neat locations just 30 minutes from 2 great ski resorts and within walking distance of many great restaurants and the Ogden Conference Center.

We did lose some history in the 1985 renovation, but we kept the history in our lobby and event spaces and gained spacious modern suites. The current owners are working to preserve the hotel's history and build a collection of historic artifacts and stories.

Thanks again for the review. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Reviewed December 26, 2010

This is a picturesque hotel with a great location. Depending on the room, the views can be great. We had a suite and we all loved it, especially the kids. The rooms were well appointed and spacious with lots of windows.

Service and cleanliness were the downsides:

There was a party in the lobby that had rap music blaring. I inititally walked down to the lobby about 9:00pm and was told they would turn it down (we could feel the vibrations in our room). 11:30 I called down and said it was still rattling our room, the response, "sir, the party will be over at midnight". A hotel stay should not feel like a rowdy apartment building. When checking out the next morning I again told the clerk how noisy it was, she simply said, "ya, there was a quincenara here last night". No offer was ever made to change my room, offer a discount, anything. Terrible customer service.

Also, our room had a jetted tub that was dirty and barely provided warm water. Shower fast.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel and the view. We apologize that the party disrupted your stay and the shower was barely warm. We have looked into both complaints and discussed proper responses and solutions with our staff.

Thank you for letting us know about your concerns so we can improve our service in the future.

Looking forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Ogden.

Reviewed December 2, 2010

Tranquil and comfortable accommodations in close proximity to Ogden's Historic 25th Street and downtown amenities. Convenient transportation to world class ski areas. Be sure to ask Ryan or Tabor for a tour of the hotel. they have some interesting stories about the colorful history of the hotel and surroundings. fascinating stuff! delicious and affordable breakfast. very convenient. all round happy stay at great prices.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
StayBenLomondSuites, Manager at Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2010

Thank you for the kind review. Since the hotel was originally built in 1927 it does have some very fun history that we love to share. We will pass your comments to breakfast, Ryan and Tabor.

Reviewed November 20, 2010

Where do I begin, checked into the hotel late in the night. There was no heat in the room, This was after I had already unpacked, so I decided to rough it out. Discovered the phone system does not work

Next morning, the shower was a debacle, water would not drain, soon discovered the reason why, A BIG BALL of HAIR, so I had to clean the drain to take shower.

The breakfast is terrible, watered down OJ, burnt Hashbrowns....

The front desk comped for one night, but it was not worth it

DO NOT stay here, the Marriott is a better place

Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank RaseTlur

Thank you for your review. We apologize that you did not have a pleasant stay, thankfully your experience is unusual for the hotel. One of the most common comments we have from guests is how much they enjoy the complimentary hot breakfast buffet, we are distressed that breakfast was burnt. We have implemented some new procedures to ensure that your experience in the room does not happen to other guests in the future.

We invite you to give us another try, since your stay was atypical of a stay at Ben Lomond Suites.

Reviewed November 10, 2010

I had a great experience at Ben Lomond for an extended stay. I felt comfortable and safe staying at this hotel. My room/neighbors were quiet and peaceful. The desk people were friendly and helpful. Room service was prompt and respectful. My room was always cleaned well.

I would stay here again if my circumstances allow.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
StayBenLomondSuites, Manager at Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2010

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are always happy to hear good things about our staff.

Reviewed November 8, 2010

Because it was my first time in the hotel, they upgraded my stay to an executive suite. It was big and clean and it had more than I needed. I had so much fun and I did rest like a baby. I felt so pampered.
It is right by downtown and close to everything else.
The only down I found was the fitness center which was two machines in a small room with a terrrible color on the walls. They did have towels, a tv and books though.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank adrianatrejo

Thank you for sharing your nice comments. We are glad you felt pampered and enjoyed your stay at Ben Lomond Suites. At the front desk we have day passes to a very large and well equipped Gold's Gym that is just three blocks from the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit Ogden.

Reviewed September 24, 2010

Ben Lomond has to be the worst hotel I ever stayed in my trips both business and personal. The hotel room was dirty and the furnitures had stains all over it. The bed sheets had holes and were smelly. The amenities such as hair dryer came off the wall not working as well as the coffee maker and the microwave. The kicker was the hotel has ghost that lived there for nearly 90 years on the 11th floor which does not get booked. This place is considered a historical hotel with the Department of InFerior (Interior), but it is just old and run down. I would never want to stay here ever again and I did not get any sleep at night with all the noises. HORRIBLE hotel and horrible trip to Ogden.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
StayBenLomondSuites, General Manager at Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2010

Thank you for your feedback; we appreciate your incite and hope we can
get more information from you, so we can address your concerns.
Fortunately the majority of our guests enjoy their time at the Ben
Lomond and your experience is not typical of our hotel or our service.
While the hotel is historic and older you can rest assured, the hotel
is not haunted. The hotel is in the process of being renovated and we
are rolling out new bedding in all of our suites. Please contact me so
I can locate the suite you stayed in and take care of the concerns you
listed.