“Great Service and Location!!!”

Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Ogden
Evanston, Wyoming
“Great Service and Location!!!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Lashelle and Tabor at the front desk were terrific! Ben Lomond Suites was the first hotel that I "checked out" as I was looking for options to have a surprise quiet getaway with my wife. I asked Lashelle and Tabor about room types, rates, and location of rooms with a view. They were friendly, knowledgeable, and anxious to help me decide if that was the hotel for me. I asked to see some of the rooms they had suggested. They called the housekeeping supervisor who immediately met me in the lobby. She was very pleasant and helpful as she showed me 4 different types of rooms. By the time I returned to the front desk, I knew that I was going to be spending a quiet relaxing night at this hotel. The rates are hard to beat for the size of room and comfortable bed. Theaters, arcades, restaurants, and shopping...all within minutes. Lashelle was also very helpful in helping me choose a great place to eat sushi..she was spot on...it was delicious. When we checked out the next day, Tabor was at the front desk and was just as friendly and helpful as the day before. My wife and I will definitely return for another quiet weekend getaway! Thank you to the friendly staff of Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel!!! :-) Mark & Cheryl

Room Tip: Rooms facing west ending in "01" very large and great view. The honeymoon suite has a gian...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
StayBenLomondSuites, Owner at Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Mark W.,

Thank you for the great review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are so happy that our team treated you well and made you feel welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed the sushi restaurant, one of my very favorite restaurants is Tonas Japanesse Restaurant on 25th Street. We can't wait to share your review with Tabor and Lashelle.

We are looking forward to your next visit. Have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Salt Lake City
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I previously reviewed this hotel and gave it a very nice review. Unfortunately we had an experience here that is a traveler's nightmare. We live locally in Ogden and we use this hotel for the many times we have family come and visit us. We always book their rooms here for the historic nature of this grand hotel. My dear parents and siblings came to visit us over the weekend. We booked them a queen suit for two nights with two beds. We met them at the Ben Lomond to get them checked in. A woman was there. She was very unfriendly and didn't smile. She proceeds to tell us that there are only suppose to be two people in the room and that two more would be a 89.00 dollar charge!! We nicely explained that we booked the room in person days ago and told them four (hence the two beds) and that we already paid for the room. After a long back and forth she relented and gave us the keys. My family got to wait in the lobby with their suitcases and witness this entire exchange. Then we all go up to the room to get them settled in.

THEN... as we get out of the elevator to head to dinner the lady at the front desk flags us down and asks us if we are SURE that we only have four staying in the room and that she will have to charge us extra if it is more. This was very rude!! We explained, once again in front of my family, that we live locally and are not staying just my parents and two siblings. We walk out.

Then after check-out on our credit card we see a 15 dollar charge. We call the hotel. A very nice man tells us the lady at the front desk insisted we be charged for extra people eating breakfast!!! We explain that we only had four people staying as there was only two beds and we live locally. I do not know why this woman is treating us this way. Very confusing and upsetting. The whole time we felt awkward as we went to get my parents for meals, etc.

This was a terrible experience and we were told that she gets complaints all the time but is also a manager. I would HATE for this to happen to other families. We were treated like criminals. I would avoid this hotel and choose another grand hotel located in Ogden's downtown.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank NGreen8
Dear Lisa R.,

Thank you for your review as it helps us improve our customer service for future guests. We apologize that our front desk agent did not greet you with our usual happy smile and friendly attitude and check in did not proceed smoothly. We have discussed this incident with her and we are glad that our General Manager had the opportunity to talk with you in person about this incident.

We hope that this experience does not keep you from staying with us again.

Have a happy holiday season!
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

This property has great potential. Good location downtown Ogden and set in a historic building. However the rooms were just a little disappointing.... Large and clean, but I was hoping for something that was a bit more authentic - but still an excellence choice for Ogden

• Stayed July 2012
StayBenLomondSuites, Owner at Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Dawn G,

Thank you for the review. We like our downtown location too, it is very nice to be within walking distance of many great bars, restaurants and entertainment options. We are sorry you were disappointed with the authenticity of our hotel rooms. The hotel underwent a massive remodel in the 1980's and the hotel's original 300+ rooms were converted to 120+ suites. We are happy that the beautiful history in our lobby and event spaces was preserved during the 1980's renovation. We are also pleased to be able to offer our guests hotel suites that are at least twice as large as the hotel's original room, we believe it makes for a much more comfortable stay for our modern guests. Thank you again for your review.

Have a great day!
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed October 23, 2012

An amazing hotel, after 5 days on the road this historic gem was such a nice change of pace from the chain hotels we had been staying at. The Ben Lomond has unique architectural details, amazing crystal chandeliers and two great restaurants. What a nice stop for our road weary family. Our two year old loved the Tree house Museum which is with in walking distance and our doggie had a great time playing in the park across the street.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
StayBenLomondSuites, Owner at Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Kuma K,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It sounds like you were on quite a road trip. We are so glad you enjoyed the historical details of our hotel and our two restaurants. We are happy you enjoyed the Treehouse Museum we think it is a great place to take little ones to play and learn and very convenient since it is an easy three block walk, or drive, from the hotel. Next time you pass through Ogden with your little one make sure you visit the Eccles Dinosaur Park or the the Union Station Train Museum. We hope to see you again soon.

Thanks again for the great review. Have a great day!
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed one night when passing through Ogden. Our room was a Queen Suite. It had a sitting room with older television, a bedroom with a flat screen television, only one nightstand. It is in downtown Ogden with a free parking garage attached. There is no obvious path from the garage to the hotel. We drug our bags up the front steps to the main lobby to find the elevator. The breakfast was very good. Several options in the self-serve buffet. Eggs, bacon, fruit, yogurt, pastries, bagels. When leaving my husband got trapped in the elevator to the parking garage. Thank goodness for cell phones.

Room Tip: We had a room at the end of the hall and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear BethinLasCruces,

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed breakfast. We apologize for not letting you know that the ADA entrance to the hotel is under a maroon canopy right next to the parking garage and all guests are welcome to use this entrance to wheel their luggage into the hotel. We also apologize for the elevator trying to keep your husband with us at the hotel, it must have thought he would make a good addition to the hotel (he must be especially nice because this does not happen very often). It is definitely a comfort to have a cell phone, but if your husband hadn't had his phone on him he would have been able to call for assistance on the elevator's emergency phone which is located just below the control panel.

We hope you will stay with us again the next time you are passing through Ogden or visit us this winter for ski season.

Have a great day!
Edgewater, Colorado
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was excited when I got there because the lobby is nice and you know it is a historic building when you enter. My room was more like visiting my Grandma's house then a 3.5 start hotel, but I ended up kind of being okay with that. Staff was very nice and location was good as far as Ogden goes. I loved the restaurant, "McCool's" downstairs. It was a good experience overall, just different for sure.
The bed had lots of pillow's which was nice because I could just find the right one.

Room Tip: ask if they have a more modern room if possible. I should have.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
StayBenLomondSuites, Owner at Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
We are glad you think our staff is nice, we love our friendly staff too.

We agree our hotel is in a prime downtown location, you can walk to Historic 25th Street and tons of restaurants, shops, bars, the movie theater, even minor league baseball games ; ).

We are so glad you enjoyed MacCool's, it is a great Irish pub. Just last month MacCool's finally got a club liquor license so guests can grab just a pint if they don't have time for a meal.

You can thank Lili, our head of housekeeping, for the lots of pillows. She doesn't think the bed looks right unless it has lots of pillows.

Just like Grandma we're a lit quirky, we think it comes with age, we are 85 years old after all.

Hope to see you again soon!
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed August 18, 2012

During a marathon drive from Texas back home to Washington State we were looking for lodging in Ogden Utah. Having stayed and a dingy, smelly place the nite before with pillows the size of postage stamps we decided it was worth a few more dollars to get a good nite's sleep. The Hotels.com app on my phone said this hotel was in our price range so we stopped. Words can't express how helpful Lan was at the desk. She must have seen the exhaustion on my face because she was beyond kind. The room was very large with a separate sitting area, immaculately clean, the bed so comfy and the pillows heavenly. The next morning we had an excellent breakfast including eggs and bacon in the lobby, all included, making the room an even better value. If you're in Ogden I highly recommend this hotel, you'll get decadent luxury and a price that will leave your wallet happy as well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fran R
StayBenLomondSuites, Manager at Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for your nice review, we so glad you made it home safely to Washington. We are very happy that Lan treated you well, the room was clean and comfortable and you liked breakfast, our team at the hotel loves receiving this kind of praise. Thank you again for the review, we hope to see you again soon at Ben Lomond Suites.