Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Ogden
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Great getaway”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

My wife and I went to Ogden on a weekend to get away, we stayed one night at the Ben Lomond.

Our room was upgraded to a large suite, which we Loved!

The hotel is just blocks away from great dining, entertainment. The price was right as well!

Will stay again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheSaent
StayBenLomondSuites, Owner at Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Thank you for the nice review we are glad you enjoyed your stay. It is definitely a perk to be within walking distance of so many great restaurants. We also have a great restaurant, MacCool's Irish Pub, just off the lobby where you can get a pint and a bite to eat without having to exit the building.

Thanks again for your review. We hope you visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Reviewed February 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ben Lemond on our trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons last summer. First, it was amazingly inexpensive to stay - only $78! It's a beautiful hotel with extremely large 'suites' that include a sitting room, wet bar area, a bathroom with a deep jetted tub that was a dream to relax in, a comfortable bed and plenty of room to stretch out. Although they may not have flat screen TV's or modern furniture, it's kind of nice to have the decor lend an air of the past in this historic hotel. We had dinner at MacCool's in the lobby area, which was really wonderful! The evening we stayed, two ladies were singing and playing traditional Irish music. Loved the little touches throughout our stay - quality toiletries, glasses for drinking instead of plastic. If you want to enjoy a touch of historic Ogden, stay in this lovely hotel!

Room Tip: Don't pull into the parking area behind the hotel - enter from the main street and park there...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tlcbailey
StayBenLomondSuites, General Manager at Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Thank you for your review. It sounds like you had a great trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons last summer. This summer you could explore Bryce, Moab and Arches and stay with us on your way. We have some beautiful hikes around Ogden and you could visit Union Station and the Dinosaur Park. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will stay with us again soon.

Since we are a historic hotel our handicap access is not as straight forward as a new hotel. If you need ADA access let us know when you book your reservation and we will give you instructions on the easiest way to wheel around the hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel.
Fayetteville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Good breakfast, quiet, convenient, covered parking, large rooms, comfy bed. Still a bit dated (don't think I got a updated room) and the TVs are substandard (everyone has flat panels now).

Nice enough for my business needs. Will stay again.

Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
StayBenLomondSuites, General Manager at Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2011
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed breakfast and your room was comfortable and quiet. The covered parking is a very nice feature in winter since you will not have to worry about snow and ice on your car windows.

We are in the process of upgrading our TVs to flat panel. Next time you plan to stay with us just request a room with flat screen TV when you make your reservation and if one is available we will place you in it.

Thank you again for taking the time to submit your review.
Wasatch Range, Utah
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I stayed here simply because of the high ratings from other guests. I don't know if the Ben Lomond has employees writing reviews or what but I was pretty disappointed by the whole ordeal. I originally booked for two nights, November 14-15. I checked out after one night. First let me say the front desk help was wonderful. Very helpful and kind. Cute young people with fun personalities. They did warn me that the power would be off on the second night due to some type of City Upgrade. I only ask, hasn't the hotel heard of an "emergency generator"? I went to my room and although it was clean, the furnishings were pretty battered. Yes, there is a jetted tub but it is old and not really impressive. The shower head leaked. The water was only a trickle in the bathroom sink. The power outlet in the bathroom must have some kind of trouble because it wouldn't power my hair flat iron, but the hotels hair dryer worked fine. I had to fix my hair in the living room. The hallway on the 3rd floor is so narrow, it is hard to get past the cleaning cart. The fitness center is small but I do like the idea of the book exchange....

Now, here's the part where all of you will think I'm a crackpot....THAT PLACE IS HAUNTED! I didn't believe it myself until I tried to get some sleep. Doors banged and slammed all night, the climate control had a mind of its own and every time I did get to sleep, strange feelings and vivid unusual (what I hope) dreams of 'things' messing around with me and looking me over would wake me up with a jolt. I can't explain it, and the 'things' didn't seem to want to actually HURT me, more interested in me, but it was damn creepy!! I checked out the next morning and got the heck out of there! I know it sounds weird, I know I know. I had several friends (all of us women, staying alone) staying in the hotel and they got the same feelings and impressions as I did, and they too all checked out! After I got out of there and went to another hotel, I googled the hotel's name and wish I would have done so beforehand!

I'm sorry Ben Lomond, your lobby is beautiful, your employees are wonderful, but your non paying "guests" are too creepy for me! Maybe had I been with my husband or had a friend with me, I wouldn't have been so creeped out. I travel alone a lot for business and actually enjoy it, but this place was way too much for me to accept. Having the power off for six hours the second night would have sent me right over the edge to insanity.

Room Tip: Google "The Historic Haunted Ben Lomond Hotel" before you go.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank West-Field-Trash
StayBenLomondSuites, Manager at Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Thank you for your review, your comments help us to improve our guest experience. We are glad that our front desk was helpful and kind. We will pass your praise along to them.

Your experience was very unusual for a stay at our hotel and we work hard to ensure that our guests have pleasant stays. Please contact the hotel with your room number so we can inspect the room and repair the issues you experienced.

We apologize for the inconvenience of the power outage. The power company scheduled the outage between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. in an attempt to limit the impact of the outage on customers. We let our guests know about the outage in advance so they could be prepared for the outage or arrange other accommodations for the night if needed. The hotel has a large emergency generator that provides emergency lighting, elevator service, etc. As it turned out the hotel was without power between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m. and our guests slept soundly through the whole outage.

As an 84 year old hotel the building has acquired a few idiosyncrasies and entertaining ghost stories over the years. I have been with the hotel for over two years and stay at the hotel frequently and have never experienced any ghostly feelings (even when I've walked into dark rooms).

Thank you for your review. Have a great day!
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed November 14, 2011

This is a 3.5 star rating, I can't select that option on this site.

I stayed at this historic landmark for a number of days while on business in Ogden. First let me say that you can't beat the price value versus the basic requirements of lodging need. That is a warm comfortable room at a reasonable price. Ben Lomond certainly served this purpose as the King Size Suite was large. The bed was very comfortable and the heating / cooling accommodations were effective. The bathroom was well ventilated and separated from the main living area by a door. And of course the jetted tub is equivalent to adding a second bed in the room in my book.

However, one of the major issues that I had was the outdated TV and limited and rather pathetic set of TV viewing options. By now all hotels should have flat screen TVs and be connected to something more than the local cable affiliates.

Another big issue for me was that the breakfast was rather basic and to me very limited. The hotel should disband it's breakfast service and just have patrons go to the Irish Restaurant that is within the hotel. When I went down for the first and last time, I was told that they'd just stopped their self made Waffle service so all that was left was eggs, bacon and bagels. And on this day there was no fresh fruit.

Another issue was the access door for the physically challenged and those carrying heavy bags, who preferred to take them directly from the parking garage to the their floor. This door is not key controlled but when locked has to be unlocked remotely by someone at the front desk or someone physically has to come and unlock the door. In this day and age their should be a couple of choices for hotel entry that are key controlled.

Despite these inconveniences, I did have a very productive trip and really appreciated the quietness that exists on the hotel floors.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
StayBenLomondSuites, Manager at Ben Lomond Suites Historic Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and writing a review. We are glad the room was comfortable and met your basic lodging needs. We like that all the rooms in our hotel are suites so guests have plenty of room to spread out.

We are in the process of upgrading to flat screen TVs, and some of our rooms have already been upgraded. The next time you stay with us request a room with a flat screen and we will reserve one for you if one is available.

We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy breakfast. Breakfast is an amenity we generally get compliments on. Our breakfast is buffet style and includes hot items (eggs, bacon, sausage, or pancakes that vary day to day), cold items (cereal, bread, bagels, yogurt, fruit, etc) and beverages (coffee, tea, hot water for coco and cider, juice and milk). We would love it if our Irish Restaurant, MacCool's, offered breakfast, but they do not currently offer breakfast.

We love being a historic hotel, but sometimes it does cause inconveniences like the imperfect entrance from the garage. When the hotel was originally opened in 1927 the hotel had amenities like bell hops and elevator operators so guests did not have to worry about their luggage. We do not currently offer these amenities in an attempt to keep our costs low so we can pass our saving onto our guests. We are so happy to have loyal guests that love our hotel's historic nature and do not mind the quirks that are created by it.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to see you again soon.
Zuerich
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I want to make a great compliment to the Ben Lomond Hotel in Ogden Utah. I stayed there this year from the 1.th of August till the end of October. I was very pleased about this Hotel. I had a nice clean room with a great view to the wasatach mountains. The stuff at front desk and the housekeeper has been very nice and friendly all the time I have been there. Also the Mac Cools Restaurant inside the Ben Lomond was great. Good food and also very nice stuff. I really recommend this Hotel. Also a great compliment to Anna Gavan the Hotel-Manager.
I am sure, I go back to this Hotel for a longer stay in two years. I will keep my trip in a good memory.
Konrad Bolt Hausaecker 4 8048 Zuerich Switzerland

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Konrad B
Thank you for your nice review. We enjoyed having you stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed the view of the Wasatch Mountain Range, we love being able to see the mountains and the back side of Snowbasin Ski Resort from our hotel. We are excited to share your comments with the staff and very glad that you were treated well by the front desk and housekeeping. We will also share your compliments with MacCool's, we are very happy to have MacCool's restaurant in the hotel and feel it is a great amenity for our guests.

Thank you again for your review. Looking forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Ogden.
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Our last stop in Utah was the Ben Lomond Suites. We paid $72 and they upgraded our room upon arrival. What an amazing surprise when we walked in the room. Frist was a large living room with a sofa, TV, coffee table and kitchenette. The bathroom was huge with a jetted tub. A separate spacious sleeping area with a very comfy four poster bed, TV and desk, plus 2 closets. We felt like we were home. The wow factor didn't stop there. We also enjoyed an amazing hot breakfast. Everything was fresh and very tasty. Our last night we ate at MacCools Pub - the food was excellent. The staff was very nice and so friendly. We felt so pampered staying at the Ben Lomond for three nights. Would recommend the Ben Lomond to anyone going to Ogden. Thanks for a wonderful ending to our trip to beautiful Utah.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank lnuge2
Thanks for the great feedback. It is always a pleasure to exceed guests' expectations. We have had a few people comment that they were surprised by the spaciousness of our suites since we are a historic hotel. The truth is that the hotel had 350 rooms when it was originally built in 1927 and those rooms were converted to 120+ suites in 1985. It is great to be able to offer the beauty and grandeur of a historic hotel in the lobby and event spaces and the convenience and comfort of a modern hotel in the hotel suites.

Thanks again for the review. We hope you visit us again soon.