“Ok but pricey.”
Review of Zucca Trattoria - MOVED

Zucca Trattoria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Harrison Boulevard
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Food was average but pricey. Service not so good. Great confusion in the kitchen between the wait staff and the cooks.

Thank A. H

Reviewed July 24, 2012

My fiancé and I stumbled upon Zucca back in 2005 because it was near our house in South Ogden, but we have been going back ever since. Ever since we have been going there we have done many different events. Zucca offers everything from beer and wine pairing events to culinary classes and culinary demos.

Chef Elio was born in South America and has studied world wide and obviously loved the brilliance of Italian cuisine. The menu at Zucca changes every season giving you different options from lite summer salads to hearty winter meat sauces. My favorite soup is the tomato basil bisque, in fact when ever I am sick my fiance will pick up a bowl for me to have at home. Zucca used to have a wild mushroom risotto which was the fiancés favorite meal, but that is off the menu now and he is ordering more pizzas and lobster risotto. I am a fan of the capresse salad which has an amazing home made mozzarella and extremely ripe tomatoes and fresh basil. The bread is freshly made in the brick pizza oven, which may explain while during busy times it isn't readily available. I like to start off my meals with the Chefs choice of meats/ cheeses/ and anti pasta, all of which is hand selected from the Italian market off the side of the restaurant. For an entree I prefer the lobster and shrimp risotto or the fusili with sausage.

In my opinion Zucca is a great restaurant, Chef is very hands on and enjoys meeting his patrons. He is often trying different flavor combinations and even likes trying other ethnic specialties. If you aren't enjoying the experience if he is around he would be happy to know about your feelings so that he can better his restaurant. Chef Elio prides himself in this restaurant, it's not like this is a chain restaurant but instead his living and he wants to protect that investment and how the community views it.

I would highly recommend you try the deli as well, they are more than willing to alter any of their sandwiches to suit your taste. We have dinner parties and wine tastings at our house and we get meats and cheeses from Zucca. The people that work the deli know their products and are willing to help educate the buyer on what options are available. The deli can be a bit slow, because they are hand cutting everything to order. You can get a tasting of any of their products before you purchase and I highly suggest doing that, it's free after all. The other plus, they offer a military discount.

All in all Zucca is a great restaurant in Northern Utah that offers great food, service and ambiance. My fiancé is from NY and I am from Los Angeles so our tastes aren't based on a bland Utah palate. We thoroughly enjoy food and are avid cooks at home. If your in the mood for a sit down meal or a fresh sandwich head over there, oh and they cater too.

1  Thank Tiana Y
Reviewed June 2, 2012

My family and I ate at Zucca yesterday and had the worst dining experience in a long time.
The other members of my family had their own problems with the food, but my experience alone is enough to fill a whole review.
The restaurant is well decorated and the atmosphere typical of an american based italian trattoria. Our hostess and waitress were both welcoming and friendly. We ordered our drinks and and the oil/vinegar dipping sauce was placed on the table. This was the end of excellence.
The bread came out 20 minutes after we sat down. My husband and I ordered the artichoke cream soup for our appetizer. The waitress brought clam chowder without explanation. She then took the soup away to replace it with the artichoke soup only to return to say it was no longer available. So we ordered a salad. I ordered oil and vinegar and my husband ordered the basalmic vinegarette. Both salads came with generic italian dressing saturating the salad. I couldn't eat it so I put it aside. My husband ate his--he eats almost anything. The waitress tried to accommodate and find something on the menu for me, but the rest of my family was moving forward with their courses and I felt a little behind.
For my main dish I ordered the lobster and shrimp risotto. It looked good when presented, but when I cut into the lobster I saw it was undercooked. Both the shrimp and the lobster were undercooked. The lobster was slimy and translucent. I didn't try the risotto because I was too frustrated at this point because everything went wrong with my order to this point. Not only was there miscommunication between the waitress and the customer/waitress and back of the house, there was also undercooked seafood presented to the customer. This is outrageous!
The manager came to mend the damage her staff had done, and offered me yet another option off the menu. I decided to try the antipasto plate with olives, vegetables, cheese, and prosciutto; but only cheese and prosciutto lay on the platter when it came out. Who cares at this point...
We will never go back to Zucca. This was just my experience. The rest of my party had their own issues too. At least the prosecco was good!

Reviewed April 18, 2012

I can't figure out why I keep getting drawn back to Zucca. I have eaten there several times and it really seems to be so hit or miss that it must be like the draw a slot machine has you with that intermittent win.

To summarize a few visits and dishes:

Servers--some average, some not so good. Never really had a GREAT server here.

The pizza is terrible.

The pizza bread that comes in your bread basket is great. Perfectly cooked and chewy. Go figure.

The lasagna is one of the best we've had but personally, I don't go out for Italian for Lasagna.

The Carbonara with a poached egg is what kept me coming back but then they took it off the menu.

To my delight, the Carbonara returned on the brunch menu.

The other Saturday brunch menu items are AMAZING. Creative use of fruits, etc.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

Fresh authentic ingrediants and prepared true to Italian traditions. This is not American Italian - this restaurant is the real deal. [I have been to Italy twice]. The presentation of the food is very artistic (see photos). Great care appears to be taken in creating the different entrees and cooking them to perfection.

The menu is always changing to match availabilty of ingrediants. There's a three course meal deal for $30 during weekdays that might appeal to those on a low budget. There is also an attached market that sells To Go sandwhiches as well as cheeses and other Italian ingrediants you won't find in the supermarket next door. The restaurant also does a good business on Take Out Pizza. But this is REAL Italian pizza, with a very thin crust baked in the proper pizza oven.

Zucca also has a great wine list and also serves cocktails.

1  Thank Outdoorpartner