“Served its purpose”
Review of Ogden River Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ogden
Ogden River Inn
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Ogden
Vancouver, Canada
“Served its purpose”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed here for two nights while visiting the Hill Aerospace Museum.

Some of the recent reviews of this place are quite scathing. While I agree that the motel is tired and needs some serious work, I found the staff tried hard to make my stay as pleasant as possible given what they had to work with.

I arrived shortly after midnight and as expected I had to buzz for service. The night clerk was friendly and my check in was smooth. However, my TV didn't work and after a couple of visits to the front desk, the clerk visited my room and did get the TV to work manually. The next day, she and a maintenace fellow tried hard to fix the problem and finally swapped out the TV for one that worked.

Other than that, the room was basic and the microwave and the refrigerator were nice additions. The room served its purpose and I was able to have two nights rest.

I just feel so bad for the two staff members who tried to make my stay as comfortable as they could.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank wdwright

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 28, 2013

For the price I paid for the hotel room (about $90 for three people) I was expecting a clean room and bed, and mostly-functioning amenities. The Ogden River Inn did not provide any of these. I'm no stranger to dives, but this place had literally the dirtiest rooms I've ever stayed in. No soap, shampoo or washcloths; our room came with less than half a roll of toilet paper; the tv remote didn't work, and half the channels that were on the wildly inaccurate channel guide were nowhere to be found either. The ice machine didn't work, the washers and dryers were in poor shape. The bedside lamp was falling off the wall. Rather than the complimentary breakfast I tend to expect at this price point, in the morning the front desk charged $1 for some of the most vile coffee I've experienced in my time on this earth. The staff was indignant, rude, unresponsive and unconcerned that most of the facilities of their motel weren't functioning. One of the members of my party had a service animal, and upon check-in the woman at the desk explained that instead of the $30 pet fee, service animal owners had to pay a $15 service animal charge. At checkout, the staff refused to either refund this charge or give me a receipt reflecting it, knowing that they were on shady legal ground. Ogden River Inn is the least hospitable business of any category that I've dealt with.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Thomas G
1azskier, Owner at Ogden River Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Sorry our ice machine was down the day you came in. It has since been fixed.
We test the remotes before they go out however If your remote control didn't work the office was only 5 doors away. As for the soap, shampoo and toilet paper, had you needed more for your group, the office was only 5 doors away and were giving it out from 7am to 10pm every day. You had a budget when on your trek across America so we adjusted our rate and only charged you for 2 instead of 3 and 1/2 the pet fee. When you said your pet was a service animal we asked for his registration paper (as we always do) since he wasn't wearing a "vest" and you responded by making legal threats to us after being unable to provide anything to show it was a service animal. Our coffee is Folgers and many of our guests enjoy a couple cups every morning. (our Folgers coffee is complementary when guests pay our regular rates) We try to anticipate our guests needs. Sorry we didn't meet your expectations.

Travelers are raving about these Ogden hotels

Ogden, Utah
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The people that are employed at this place need to fired!!! The owner needs to wake up and start supporting the guests perhaps conduct some surveys he would be amazed!! but then again he could be a major part of the problem!!! this place is the worst on so many levels!!!
I never stayed at more terribly treated hotel/motel, the guest are treated as if they were an INCONVIENCE to the employees and their ability to continue doing nothing for the benefit of the guest. My wife even caught hell for leaving a bag of trash outside our front door for 10 minutes, and the maid complaining told us were the dumpster was so we could take care of it rather then them. We had ZERO maid service the entire three weeks we stayed at this dump-ster!
It took three days for my room to get a working air conditioner during the huge heat spell that came at the end of June thru July our room was a constant 87-93 degrees and they (the employees finally reported the ac problem to the owner on the third day then our ac was fixed amazing!!)
My family and I had to go to a family members house until our ac was fixed after the room was already paid for.
Now for the really bad part if you complain to much you will be told to leave and you will only be given 10 minutes to pack, WHO EVER HAS THE BUSINESS SENSE TO THROW CUSTOMERS AWAY WHO ONLY WANT THIER ROOM IN WORKING ORDER!!!!!
IF THE OWNER SUPPORTS THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR HE IS A MONSTER!!!
THIS PLACE HAS BEEN A RAT HOLE FOR A LONG TIME AND NO AMOUNT OF PAINT IS GOING TO COVER THIS AWFUL PLACE!!!

Room Tip: Avoid this place at all cost!!!!!!!! Let is fail so they can tear it down and get rid of the proble...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1azskier, Owner at Ogden River Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank your for your review. First we would like to apologize for having to ask you to leave our property. We did it for the good of our other guests. When your A/C wasn't working well during our brief 100+ degree days we gave you a free night and changed it out since it couldn't be repaired. When the lightning strike took out a transformer that affected 1/3 of the Inn, we were on the phone with the power company immediately and they had it replaced the same day. We gave you another free day even though you were very rude with my staff (yelling at the top of your lungs and making threats isn't pleasant for the others). It was beyond our control but we made every effort to meet your needs. As for throwing out paying guests... we occasionally are forced to do this so that the rest of our guests can enjoy their stay. We felt we made enough adjustments for your stay (2 free nights) considering your housing circumstances and the heat wave and lightning strike. Sorry we couldn't meet your needs.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

This place is filthy! I like cheap hotels, but choose somewhere else! Paint is peeling, the smell is horrible, service is sub par, location is sketchy...really, keep looking for something different. I use trip advisor often and this places rating is far better than the reality in the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank dvrdown33
1azskier, Owner at Ogden River Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your response.
We are located on the Ogden River, very close to the center of town. We are sorry that the paint wasn't up to standard. We are constantly repairing rooms as needed. As for the smell, smoking rooms tend to have a smell but we work hard to minimize the issue by constantly repainting and replacing the carpet.
Sorry we didn't meet your standards.
China
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Clean room with 2 beds, lots of towels -- nothing fancy and a tad tired rooms but more then good for a night. Very friendly hosts who told us about a nice walk along the river and a good Greek restaurant near them-- Athenian.
Did have problems with heat but they fixed it right away. $61.00 for 2 people.

Room Tip: room 224 was good
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank borahlion
1azskier, Owner at Ogden River Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
We're not perfect but we try our best to make every guests stay pleasant..
We're happy you decided to take a walk along the river walk and that you discovered the best Greek food in town
Thanks again.
Seattle
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My room was clean but the wi-fi was pretty glitchy and didn't work a lot of the time.

Beware... they do not honor their rate quotes!

I wanted to stay for 10 days and offered to pay for 10 days up front at 10/7's of the weekly rate (10/7 x $212 = $303). **THEY** choose to have me pay for a week ($212) with the understanding that I could extend for the additional 3 days at 3/7's of the weekly rate ($91). When it came time to extend for the additional 3 days they would not honor their previous commitment and wanted $151... period. I feel like I was robbed...

Room Tip: Lots of traffic noise in rooms accessed from Washington Blvd.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank HeavyHex
utahboarder, Manager at Ogden River Inn, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We're glad you found the room clean and comfortable. As for the internet, we offer it as an additional bonus, a convenience we couldn't even think of charging for. It's was free... You're welcome. When you said you wanted to stay for 10 days, we made you aware of a weekly rate, this was to save you money... And we did. The extra days fall under the regular nightly rate. Had the nightly rate exceeded the weekly rate, we would have saved you even more money. To recap, we gave you a clean comfortable room, free internet and even saved you quite a bit of money by generously offering you a weekly rate for the first 7 nights, sorry the extra nights were a la carte. When we explain this to our guests they are usually very appreciative and grateful. We're sorry you didn't see it this way and hope you'll forgive us for the misunderstanding.
ogden
Reviewed April 1, 2012

The rooms are clean and comfortable,great price and the management are friendly and nice you have a place to go workout and they also have a washer and dryer they dont let anyone who not staying just hang around a great place'

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tim f
utahboarder, Owner at Ogden River Inn, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Thank you so much for your great review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay. It's a pleasure to serve appreciative guests like you. We have worked so hard to upgrade the property and the rooms and it's nice to see them being enjoyed. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.