“Authentic, fresh, friendly”
Review of The Sonora Grill

The Sonora Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
The Sonora Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 366 Restaurants in Ogden
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The Sonora Grill is a unique and independent restaurant serving regional Mexican cuisine in a refined atmosphere with unparalleled customer service. Executive Chef, Chris Mortenson, brings with him an impressive resume of experience from restaurants in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, and Las Vegas. Chef Chris along with owner Steve Ballard are excited to share their passionate interpretation of Mexican food with its patrons. The Sonora Grill will feature a large ceviche bar, catering, full bar and lounge, private party room, private banquet room, and take out with a walk up window.
Seattle, Washington
“Authentic, fresh, friendly”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I'll admit on my first round, I wasn't totally impressed with this place. But I gave it a second shot, tried a more "mexican" dish, and have to say that I love this place. Their food is very fresh, and much more "adventurous" and fresh- if you want typical enchiladas and nachos, then definitely stick to a different place - we're talking posole to DIE for, amazing mexican cheeses that you can't find on any other mexican dining menu in UT, and some of the best dang salsa you could ever try! They even offer cooking classes (tried one with my hubby- SO informative and lovely! They even give you the restaurant dish recipes!!) and will sell you their cheeses to take home and incorporate into your own cooking! (must ask - this is not "advertised")

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Messaj

Central Florida, Florida
“Excellent lunch, we all enjoyed it.”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We had a group ordered appetizers, a variety of lunches and ice cold beer on the outside veranda. Very relaxing, could have sat here all day...will definitely come again next time we are downtown Ogden.

• Visited September 2013
Littleton, Colorado
“Amazing food, great experience”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I've been to The Sonora Grill several times and it does not disappoint. I would go once a week if I didn't live in Denver. The food is very unique; this is not your typical Mexican food. Do yourself a favor and order the Arroz con Pollo it is AMAZING! Go ahead and splurge and order yourself some of their guacamole. You will thank me later.

Every time I go to The Sonora Grill the owner, Steve Ballard, is walking around making sure everyone walks away satisfied. All around excellent customer service throughout the restaurant.

Run, don't walk. Order guac and Arroz con Pollo. Or a burrito, or any of the other awesome choices. They are all good.

• Visited May 2013
Denver, Colorado, USA
“Good ambience below average food”
Reviewed December 7, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Stopped in here for dinner one evening with a coworker. The restaurant seems really nice and our server was nice, but the food was really just ok. I had their version of fajitas which was not what i expected at all just meat and cheese, hardly any Peppers, and I believe my friend had a very bland burrito.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Damian5280
Steve B, Owner at The Sonora Grill, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Damian,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. As a local, independent restaurant, customer satisfaction is very important to us. Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your food at Sonora Grill. We make all of our menu items from scratch using fresh, traditional ingredients.

Our Alambres (Fajitas) are more authentic to what you might find in Mexico City, somewhat different than the Tex-Mex style fajitas that you find in other restaurants. Just to let you know, we do offer a meal replacement policy in which we will replace the item that you do not like with something you are happy with. We would much rather provide our customers with a positive dining experience while they are still in our restaurant, than to find out about it down the road through an online review.

The next time you come back to Ogden, I will still honor this meal-replacement policy, just ask for Steve. We have a very popular restaurant with lots of amazing entrees. I am confident that we can find something that you will love. Thank you again for your feedback; I have already talked to the cooks about your review.
Ogden, Utah
“No good food here”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Did not care for the food or the sevice. They do not care if you have allergies, they think that you should stay home and cook your self rather than accomidate your needs

Visited September 2013
2 Thank DonnaB317
Steve B, Owner at The Sonora Grill, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Donna,

I am sorry to hear about your negative experience at Sonora Grill. As a local, independent restaurant, customer service is very important to us, and we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback. I'd like to understand a little more about your dining experience because it sounds like something happened that is far below our customer service standards. We make all of our menu items from scratch, so we know every ingredient in our food. This is intentional so we can customize our food and accommodate people with dietary restrictions or preferences. In fact, we have a separate Gluten-Free Menu and a Vegetarian & Vegan Menu. We usually go above and beyond when dealing with situations like this, so can you please respond and let me know what your food restrictions are and what did or did not happen? Were you offered a separate menu? Did you ask to talk to a manager? Thank you in advance for your response.