“Try something unique and you'll love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Sonora Grill

The Sonora Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
The Sonora Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 365 Restaurants in Ogden
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The Sonora Grill is a unique and independent restaurant serving regional Mexican cuisine in a refined atmosphere with unparalleled customer service. Executive Chef, Chris Mortenson, brings with him an impressive resume of experience from restaurants in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, and Las Vegas. Chef Chris along with owner Steve Ballard are excited to share their passionate interpretation of Mexican food with its patrons. The Sonora Grill will feature a large ceviche bar, catering, full bar and lounge, private party room, private banquet room, and take out with a walk up window.
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Try something unique and you'll love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have been to The Sonora Grill tens of times over the last three years and we have experienced a little bit of what has been remarked in many of these comments. Most importantly we have found some amazing dishes such as the Cochinita Pibil, which we have not found anywhere else. The Blackened Fish Tacos are fantastic, too. And most recently I tried out the Tropical Swordfish from their "Starters" and it was unlike anything I've ever eaten; it turned out to be more sweet than I anticipated and could have fit well at the end of the meal as a seafood dessert. The portions are large, so share a meal and don't feel bad about eating two or three baskets of the fresh and free chips. For those concerned about paying a small premium, I recommend following their Facebook page to be aware of special promotions. Finally, you will kick yourself if you do not try a winter special they do every December called the Chiles En Nogada; my wife and I make sure we return specifically for that dish around our anniversary. On the whole, service has been professional, management is engaged and friendly, and the atmosphere/decor of the restaurant is just right for our tastes.

• Visited May 2013

Salt Lake City
“Great margaritas”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We went to the Sonora Grill for dinner. The drinks and service were outstanding! The food was o.k., nothing special. The location is great, within walking distance of 25th St.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Runnerfam
Montana
“Tex Mex with a Twist”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

My husband and I ate dinner at Sonora Grill on 5/11/13. Our food was prepared to perfection and was delicious. We both ordered dark beer from an extensive bar menu, and it was served at just the right temperature. Our food was delicious. I had tacos, which were prepared on corn tortillas. My husband ordered a pork dish that had been roasted in a pepper sauce, and the flavors were incredible! We thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant, and we will return.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank crankshaft61
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible service!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We walked in and nobody was at the hostess station. After 5 minutes, I spoke up to one of the many staff members walking by,who only looked at us the whole time we were standing there, and asked if someone was available to seat us. After waiting some more, the hostess came to the front. She asked if we wanted to wait for a booth. We told her a table would be fine and she argued with us and made us wait for the booth "to be cleaned". After waiting another 5 minutes, we were told that we could not have the booth because it was not being cleaned but "the people who are in the booth decided
not to leave". We ended up getting the table we said would be ok in the first place. We ordered guacamole
because by now we were starving! Our appetizer
came out 3 minutes before our entrees! This
experience was a disaster from the beginning!
Probably won't go back
especially if I'm particularly hungry or in a
hurry!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank trisha12344
Steve B, Public Relations Manager at The Sonora Grill, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
We take customer service very seriously, and we appreciate you leaving a review, and hope you will try us again. Our main goal is customer satisfaction and truly hope to see you again.
Best Wishes,
Sonora Grill
Draper, Utah
“Wish I could give it 6 stars!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

I. LOVE. THIS. RESTAURANT.
Being from Texas I find the Mexican offerings in Utah to be...lacking. We stumbled across The Sonora Grill one evening when we took our kids to Flow Rider across the street. I am in love! Now, it's not Tex Mex, to be sure, but it is a culinary delight of Cal Mex cuisine. They use the freshest ingredients and employ a great deal of creativity in their menu. The atmosphere is very nice, and they even make fresh guacamole right at your table. My favorite dish is the Habanero Mango shrimp (they may have taken this off the menu.) An added bonus is that they are mostly gluten-free (except the flour tortillas).This is a restaurant that is often requested in my family for birthdays and other special occasions. My whole family loves this place and we feel it is well worth the drive from Utah county!

• Visited December 2012