“Decent food”
Review of The Sonora Grill

The Sonora Grill
Ranked #6 of 375 Restaurants in Ogden
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The Sonora Grill is a unique and independent restaurant serving regional Mexican cuisine in a refined atmosphere with unparalleled customer service. Executive Chef, Chris Mortenson, brings with him an impressive resume of experience from restaurants in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, and Las Vegas. Chef Chris along with owner Steve Ballard are excited to share their passionate interpretation of Mexican food with its patrons. The Sonora Grill will feature a large ceviche bar, catering, full bar and lounge, private party room, private banquet room, and take out with a walk up window.
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Good ambience, decent food and good service. If you are looking for decent south of the border food then this is a good place in Ogden. Love the margarita here, they have some good mixed drinks. The dessert not so great something you can skip. The soup is amazing and the vegan tostada is yummy as well. A good place but can do better. The Arozz Con Pollo looked very different then others I have had but it was delicious. I would go here again.

1  Thank Trupti T

Reviewed July 14, 2012

After reading previous reviews was eager to try Sonora Grill. Ordered the chile relleno combo ( one relleno and two chicken enchiladas). Chile relleno was disappointingly dry - no sauce accompanied it and wasn't fond of the corn-meal flavor of the batter for the chile. Enchiladas were small, dry, and won't be worth repeating either. Other dish was Sinoloa chicken - chicken okay but nothing terribly interesting. For the price point ($16-$17per entree) this is not a place worth repeating.

2  Thank Lola L
Steve B, Owner at The Sonora Grill, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

I am sorry to hear that your experience at Sonora Grill did not meet your expectations. We are a local independent restaurant, not a chain. I live in Ogden and raise my family here. At Sonora Grill, we make everything from scratch, and we put a lot of time and effort into our food.

I mention this because it is rare to find that in a restaurant and even more rare among mexican restaurants. Most use pre-made food, full of artificial flavors and preservatives. This is one reason that our entrees at Sonora Grill are slightly more expensive than other restaurants. We also use imported authentic mexican cheeses.

I spend a lot of time talking to my customers and get feedback. Generally, I find that when people do not like the food they order, there was a mistake somewhere along the way. It is very rare for people to have negative response such as yours without any mistakes. Please contact me @ steve@thesonoragrill.com, and lets get you in again. I promise it will be different.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Very nice atmosphere, and some unique food here. They server giant "nachos" before the meal (almost the size of a small taco shell), with some really good salsa...unfortunately I found out the next day you have to ask specifically for the really hot stuff...our waiter never mentioned this.

The menu was interesting and somewhat unique...and probably would be truly great if it weren't for execution that wasn't quite there. For example, I had a meal that was described by the waiter as "crispy, seasoned pork" with rice, beans, etc...what I got, while very flavorful and nice, was more like a pulled pork consistency, and was served with a couple of overly small tortillas that were wrapped in paper and just kind of flopped on the table next to me.

I think this place could be absolutely top-notch if they tightened things up just a little bit!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I do like how they give you a fresh green and tangy red salsa; both are mild, but good. Wednesday is Margarita night ($4), so keep that in mind, all other things being equal. You can look at their menu and make reservations on line. The food is good, but the scene is nice/comfortable to visit and there's outdoor seating too.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

My husband and I go there everytime we are at the Junction. It's not authentic Mexican but it's really good. I love all of there food espcially their Chile Rellanos. It's a great resturant with great food. Never had to wait long and always had friendly service, had a new guy once didn't refill the drinks but that's forgiveable. Just wish Ogden had Authentic Mexican food. I miss home.