“Too long a wait”
Review of The Sonora Grill

The Sonora Grill
Ranked #6 of 368 Restaurants in Ogden
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The Sonora Grill is a unique and independent restaurant serving regional Mexican cuisine in a refined atmosphere with unparalleled customer service. Executive Chef, Chris Mortenson, brings with him an impressive resume of experience from restaurants in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, and Las Vegas. Chef Chris along with owner Steve Ballard are excited to share their passionate interpretation of Mexican food with its patrons. The Sonora Grill will feature a large ceviche bar, catering, full bar and lounge, private party room, private banquet room, and take out with a walk up window.
Sandy, Utah, United States
“Too long a wait”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We waited about 30 minutes to be seated and then over an hour to get our order. We had three kids with us, they were hungry and this long wait did not help. The service was not that great. The food was not great as well

Visited February 2012

Park City, Utah
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I had dinner here with my husband and his parents visiting from out of town. We were all pleasantly surprised with the food, service and decor. There is a great ambiance in the restaurant, it was perfect for enjoying conversation and a meal. The chips and salsa were delicious. The green salsa was tangy and very fresh tasting and the red was full of roasted flavors. There are good options for many types of dining and diets. I had eaten here more then 2 years ago, on that day the service was not great and the food was unremarkable. I was hesitant to revisit the restaurant but am happy that we did. I cant wait to return and try the ceviche and pozole. The prices are a bit high for portion size, but it was a nice treat and the flavors were great.

• Visited February 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Just average to poor”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Just average to poor. Not much of any complex flavors, so-so.. Tex-mex no; Mex, no; Good name, just wish they would go see what Good to Great food should taste like. $$$

1 Thank Qui-abadboy
Salt Lake City, Utah
“A Notch Above the Rest”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

We live near Ogden and this is one of my favorite Ogden restaurants. We do not usually buy appetizers at restaurants, but we order the guacamole-made-tableside every time because it is so good (though the price is a bit steep). The complimentary array of salsas are also very good. The Sonora Grill is more upscale and higher quality than your average Mexican restaurant, but we feel the that their great food is worth it.

When the Sonora Grill first opened, the owner himself made our guacamole and told us how he had studied cooking in Mexico before opening the restaurant. He introduced us to chilaquiles, which have become one of my favorite Mexican dishes at home, though I'm not sure if they are still on the menu at Sonora or not. We have noticed that the menu changes from time to time and it has been awhile since our last visit. I haven't taken my own kids (ages 7 and 5) here because it is not a restaurant they will enjoy, but I have seen others successfully bring children to Sonora Grill.

Visited April 2011
Layton, Utah
“Don't Waste Your Time”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I have been there several times, the food has always been good but the service is terrible. Both our booth and the booth next to us had terrible service, when the manager/owner was confronted by the other booth he discounted their concerns and made some lame excuses. I value my time and money and it should not take over 15 minute to receive a refill on a bowl of chips and to re-fill my water. I will take my business elsewhere, there are plenty of other restaurants that understand what customer service is and that it is our money that drives their business. I would bet that they will soon be out of business due to their complacency and lack of service.

• Visited December 2011