“Two thumbs down, way down.”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Ogden
Reviewed April 6, 2009

I travel on business VERY frequently, and while I won't say I’m a snob, I demand clean and functional; I also check trip advisor religiously. I dismissed the reviews regarding the chlorine smell assuming that some people are just too sensitive, but I can tell you this, there is zero exaggeration in this regard. The hotel reeks of chlorine. The hallways smell.. odd, the room and linens smell of chlorine, the tap water smells of it.. everything just stinks. Just to confirm I’m not insane, my coworker from the UK felt the exact same way. It’s extremely distracting to try to sleep when your pillow smells like chemicals. If you think it’s related to pool proximity you’d be mistaken, I was on the 3rd floor.
The room, while likely clean, just doesn’t give you that “clean” feeling. The hotel is old and needs renovation, but it’s one of those situations where you think it’s probably clean, but you don’t really want to walk barefoot anywhere, either.

Ogden is not a very big place, and expectations must be lowered somewhat accordingly, however, be warned that should you happen upon, say, an FBLA convention, you are royally screwed on the noise factor. The second night in hundreds of teenagers appeared and the noise was out of control. You can hear people speaking in normal voice volume through the door without any problem. I finally took sleeping pills to get past it.

The convention is what forced me from the number one and two options for Ogden, the Marriot and Hampton Inn. There is also a Holiday Inn Express across the parking lot that looks newer and cleaner (though the proximity to the highway is concerning). My coworker switched hotels to the Hampton after my departure and had no problems.
About the only good thing at this hotel was the internet – fast wireless without having to jump through hoops to connect. The hotel staff was pleasant enough as well – especially considering that I had all sorts of trouble with my room keys (10-12 tries to unlock the door). Beyond that, skip this place until they renovate, it’s a dive.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank DA_Denver

Reviewed February 20, 2009

We have stayed at the Comfort Suites in Ogden, Utah for the past 3 Presidents Day weekends in Feb. We will NEVER stay there again unless we are guaranteed that there will be no bus loads of high school students there! In Feb. it seems that they cater to large groups (5-7 large bus loads) of high school students from Europe. Becasue of these large groups you are LUCKY if you get a warm shower(2 out of 5 nights we took cold showers), you cannot get in the pool or hot tub because it is overrun with wild, unsupervised children, there are no pool towels available because the high schoolers have used them all, you can't get to the front desk to ask a question or to complain because there is always a line of students and sponsors swarming the desk, the hallways are crowded and noisy from 5:30 am to 11:00pm, and the students make prank phone calls. If you stay there when theare are not bus loads full of students, the experience would be much nicer. The rooms are fairly spacious and the breakfast is very good. The pool area is not exceptionally clean looking, but it has an extremely strong smell of chlorine, especially from the hottub(which is probably a good thing to kill germs). The staff is not bad or great, but just ok. The hotels main problem is catering to multiple bus loads full of high school students. There is a Holiday Inn Express that shares the same parking lot that might be a better option. That is where we will stay next year. There is a great Mexican restuarant attached to a small motel just down the street called Mi Rancho in which the owner is almost always there(he drives the white hummer you'll see parked out front). This is a much better restuarant than the one attached to the Comfort Suites - we rate that one as just fair as far as food quality. Mi Rancho is much better!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2008

Where to begin?

Was in Ogden on business in Sept 2008. Booked this hotel as it was closest to my business location, and it was reasonably well rated on TripAdvisor. I should have paid more attention to the negative reviews.

Walked in and was greeted by the overpowering smell of chlorine, and the charm of totally indifferent staff...who couldn't get my key card programmed properly until the fourth attempt.

I THOUGHT the chlorine was due to the indoor pool...and part of it might have been...

Made it to my room, which also reeked of chlorine. As did the bed linens, the towels...I suspect that the primary cleaning agent in this hotel is bleach. But, at least I was relatively sure it was clean!

The first few days were uneventful, which is what you want on a business trip. Internet worked, restaurant was adequate although service was slow (the million dollar potatoes and the bread are both excellent, though!), and the location made getting to work easy.

Then...the weekend.

Friday night. Connecting room...a dozen very young girls having a sleepover party. Staff insisting that the sleepover is in a room at the other end of the hall from me. ??? Uh, no - they're 2 thin hollow-core doors away from me. Seriously, who books a slumber party next to a business traveller who needs the handicapped accessible room?

Ah, but the best was yet to come. Saturday night. Wedding reception. Just down the hall from me. Oh yay. Loud, drunken, redneck wedding reception, complete with yelling in the halls, drunken conversations in the connecting room, and the piece de resistance - some chick screaming at her boyfriend at 3am. No reasonable response from hotel staff until the night auditor came on shift and forcibly cleared the hallway.

I was offered the chance to move my room. But no, there were no other accessible rooms available, sorry...

I was VERY glad to leave when the time came. Did attempt to speak to the owner/manager, but was informed that the clerk didn't know when (or if) the manager would be in that day.

So...if you don't plan on being there during the weekend, and don't mind the chlorine smell, it's OK. Otherwise, I'd avoid the place.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Ogden Utah because we were spending Christmas with family and did not want to impose on them as they already had many other family members staying at their house. We booked a Presidential suite. The room's furnishings were fairly basic but the room was very large. It included a very spacious bedroom with a king bed, a living room, a good sized kitchen area with eating bar, fridge and micro and a large bathroom with both a shower and a jacuzzi tub. Overall, we were happy with the hotel. The pool was very heavily chlorinated so our children did not use it as much as we had anticipated. The workout room consisted of a treadmill, a small weight machine, an exercise bike and a very dated stair machine. Only the treadmill worked well, the other equipment was broken. The breakfast was fairly good. It included make your own waffles, scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, a meat (bacon, ham or sausage), cereal, toast, muffins, yogurt, tea, coffee, juice and hot chocolate.

We would consider staying there again, although the room's windows overlooked the pool which made it very warm. The air conditioner did not bring the temperature down to a comfortable level and it was very loud.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2008

This is a newer Comfort hotel, and is better than their average. Nice furnishings, bed, towels, showerhead. Inside corridors, elevator, free wifi. Convenient location near interstate. Good size room with king bed, plus couch, frig, microwave. The usual hotel buffet breakfast, but with hot scrambled eggs and country style potatoes as a bonus. Only two minor complaints: the whole hotel smells like chlorine; and we could hear the TV next door thru the wall. Other than that, it seemed like a bargain at $80, and we had a very comfortable stay and would probably return.

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed August 29, 2008

Wanted a little get away with the family and good a great rate for a suite at this hotel. It is nicely maintained and clean. All of the hotel staff was friendly and helpfull. Our only complaint was that the pool was very cold. My wife complained to the front desk and we saw someone go and check the temperature of the pool, but the next day it was still just as cold. Even swimming laps was cold and it was way to cold for the kids to enjoy playing in it. The restraunt attached to the hotel was great. Great food and very attentive service. We accidently left something behind after dinner and they called and brought it up to our room for us!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2008

We stayed at Comfort Suites as a stopover between Yellowstone National Park and Bryce Canyon. Our family of four got a room with two queens plus a pull-out sofa, which met our needs perfectly. The beds were very comfortable with nice linens. This hotel has an indoor pool which my kids enjoyed while I did laundry in their small laundry room (two washers/dryers). Unfortunately, the pool room is right behind the lobby so the entire lobby smells like chlorine. Complimentary breakfast in the attached restaurant (Cactus Reds) was plentiful with eggs, sausages, waffle-maker, cereals, breads, juices, etc. This must be a popular hotel, because it was entirely booked on a Friday night. We drove about 20 minutes the next morning to Antelope Island to float in the Great Salt Lake.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family