“Great place for visting Zion NP”
Review of Golden Hills Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Carmel
Golden Hills Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mount Carmel
Bernalillo, New Mexico
“Great place for visting Zion NP”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This place is only mintues from the east entrance to Zion NP. The drive into Zion is spectacular. The motel is older but the rooms are well maintained and large. Our room had a refrigerator and microwave. There is free coffee in the restraunt.
I would really love to give this place a little better rating but there was one major mistake. We stayed there for two nights and they did not make up our room. We returned to the room aorund 5 o'clock to find the bed unmade, etc. This is one of my major pet peeves. I always feel taken because they already have my money and I feel like I have been placed at the bottom of their priorities. They did come over right away to try to make it right but we had already made the bed.
I would recommend this place for it's convenience to Zion and it's friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrNiceGuy424

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Layton, Utah
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This wonderful little motel is a throwback to a time when neon outlined the roof lines of quaint, welcoming motels. Our room was #206, which wasn't large but very clean, decorated with a corner heater that looked like a fireplace, and beautiful vases. Gratefully we didn't need the fireplace. The motel is pet friendly. We made our reservation online and didn't experience any difficulties registering upon our arrival. Additionally, the young man behind the counter asked about our membership in AAA or AARP for appropriate discounts. Mmm, I guess I look like I belong to AARP...oh that's right, I do!
Small but possible points to consider; the bathroom window would not open, thereby stopping any cross ventilation, something I really would have preferred over the AC unit. The sidewalk in front of our room had medium size holes that if I were the owner would worry me since it would be easy to trip and fall during a night entrance or exit from the room. With that said I am NOT urging you to fall, but rather urging you to be cautious and avoid the holes.
Bottom line, I would stay here again and I would ask the owner, a very pleasant person we met during checkout, to fix the sidewalk for his benefit more than mine.

Room Tip: The room isn't exactly in Mt. Carmel based on the road signs, but rather is located at the junct...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

So lets get the less than positive out of the way first.  This is a small, private owned hotel which looks like it saw its glory days in the 50's. it's WiFi is marginal at best. The rooms are really basic.

But if you can live with that, this is a good place to stay. It is a good value, we paid $58 a night. The owner and help care-such as John, the owner-saw that one of the dryers had run out of time for one of his guests, so he feed it quarters. We stayed five nights and the rooms were clean. Everything worked in room. Our room, which was by the Virgin River, was quiet.

A definite plus is the location. It is about half an hour to the east of Zion Canyon; 70 minutes south of Bryce; and two hours north of the the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

So would we stay here again? Yes.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gary D
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I'm torn on this, because $52 a night is genuinely cheap.

But this place was pretty poor. We rented 4 rooms for family coming into town for a funeral. One of the rooms was a decent size and had a remodeled bathroom. That room would have been a good value for what we paid, if it had been clean.

The other three were tiny- rooms so small that there were less than three feet from the foot of the bed (full, not queen or king) to the bathroom wall. The walls were plasticky pre-fab and so thin that I could hear every word of my sister and brother-in-law's conversation next door.

The decor was tacky and shabby. I don't expect much for $52 a night, but no decor at all would have been better than the dusty mauve dollar-store porcelain swan full of dead fake flowers or the faux-copper sailing ship cut in half.

The rooms were freezing cold when we arrived, and the radiant electric heaters smelled ghastly when they turned on. The windows and walls were so thin we could guess what kind of cars were driving by on the highway only 20 feet away by their exhaust notes and tread noise.

The bathrooms were likewise extremely cramped, and two of the four mini-fridges (located in the tiny bathrooms) smelled as though something fuzzy had only recently been evicted.

We arrived after the viewing hoping to get some dinner, but the restaurant (open til 9:00!) was deserted, the salad bar empty, chairs on tables and employees vacuuming at 8:45. The employees directed us to the cafe across the street.

We just needed a place to crash, wash, and change for the funeral. All of these things would have been tolerable, or even perhaps charming in a tacky sort of way if it had not been for the cleanliness issues.

I was irritated with the layer of grime in the windowsills, and some sticky spots on the counters. I was a little squeamish about some mold in the (tiny) shower. The bedspreads looked like they had been purchased used from a Holiday Inn about 20 years ago.

But the worst thing was when we checked the rooms prior to leaving in the morning. Under all eight beds in all four rooms were various evidences of genuine filth. Under one bed were huge dust bunnies and more than a dozen candy wrappers. Other beds had similar grime and empty beverage containers. One bed had three dirty socks which did not belong to any member of our party, and one was home to a used prophylactic.

For $52 a night, in the middle of nowhere in southern Utah, I don't expect much. I have thought long and hard about this review, and have had to conclude that Golden Hills Motel did not measure up, even at an extremely low price.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Waltzon
Provo, Utah, United States
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We got a room with a king-sized bed, fridge, microwave, free wi-fi and a fireplace for $38! That's just unheard of these days! The manager got our room heating up while we went to dinner and the nearby Golden Hills restaurant. That's personal service. We'll stay here again. And again ...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Between Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP and the north rim of the Grand Canyon NP.
Stayed here 4 years ago and the rate has only gone up $5 in that time.
Restaurant on location looks OK, but we didn't use it.
Nice little stream benind is quaint.
Bathroom re-modelled.
Don't know if it's the time of year, but its the 2nd time here without the outdoor pool being available. Difficult to rate against a Best Western!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Looked old on the outside but had been updated inside. Clean. Nice view of the creek behind. Deadbolt didn't work but had a security chain that did. Nice furnishings. I was tempted to use the electric fireplace just for the homey feel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
#4 of 16 in Springdale
Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort
Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort
#2 of 2 in Zion National Park

Been to Golden Hills Motel? Share your experiences!