“No nightlife - but who needs it.”

Best Western East Zion Thunderbird Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Carmel
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We have stayed in hundreds of hotels in the past 40 years. When we entered our room it was - wow! The furnishings and the room were exceptional. We were not in the main part of the hotel, it was the rooms next to the golf course. The only thing about arriving in the dark is that the hotel sign was not illuminated. Fortunately, our GPS knew we were there.
The front desk staff throughout our stay were very helpful. The only negative thing about the room was the internet. The front desk give you a sheet of paper to gain access. It was not for the present system. There were two pages in the information book in the room - they were also useless since they gave the number for Best Western support - who no longer have the contract. There is a third page which telephone numbers for another company. I called this twice and the girl said that someone would call me back to help me. They never did. Finally, I worked it out for myself - this problem was not my fault - it was the poor information I was given.
Having said that. There is a restaurant on site. The breakfast staff were very friendly. The breakfast portions were very large. The dinner staff were easily overwhelmed if a number of people were in the restaurant - both the servers and the kitchen staff.
The hotel is an ideal location to visit Zion, Bryce, Lake Powell and the Grand Canyon north rim.

1  Thank TorontoTimTim
Tanya M, Owner at Best Western East Zion Thunderbird Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

We just had a Best Western inspection and my hubby, our GM was explaining to the inspector that the WOW effect, when someone enters our rooms, is what we are looking for. Thank you!

There are newer reviews for Best Western East Zion Thunderbird Lodge

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed 4 nights here in order to see Zion NP along with Bryce Canyon without first checking with TripAdvisor, which we regretted as we drove three days to get there. But what a surprise. The place, centrally located, proved to be one of the roomiest, cleanest and most helpful of any BW we had ever stayed in for a length of time. The reception desk was alert to our few needs, provide us with directions and local happenings.
There is not much to do at the junction of the two roads but then when you have been to the Park and Canyon, you are filled with awe enough to have a good night sleep in a very quiet atmosphere. We would want to capture this experience again without the rain tho it did not deter us from a nice visit.

Room Tip: We were assigned a room near the lovely golf course, one level. It was very quiet and set back from...
1  Thank texmd
Tanya M, Owner at Best Western East Zion Thunderbird Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

What a wonderful thing to say! Thank you! "The place, centrally located, proved to be one of the roomiest, cleanest and most helpful of any BW we had ever stayed in for a length of time. "

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed at the Best Western in Mt. Carmel. Pretty remote location as far as civilization goes, but great access to Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks. Restaurant attached, as well as a 9 hole golf course right out the back door. Seemed pretty standard for a Best Western room.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

That is what I like to hear! Someone that appreciates our remote location, and easy access to the parks they have come to Utah to visit. I can't for the life of me imagine anyone that wants to deal with city lights, traffic, walmarts, fast food, lines and such when they come to the parks for vacation. We try hard to blend in with the parks of the area.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

After a recent stay at this hotel, I was in Cedar City when I realized I must have forgotten my smartphone charger at Mt. Carmel Junction. I talked to the manager at Best Western Zion; my charger had been turned in and he was more than willing to help me get it back. I offered to return to Mt. Carmel but he knew of an employee going to Cedar City who could deliver it to a Best Western hotel there for me to retrieve. This worked perfectly!!! However, had it not worked out, the manager was willing to take my charger personally to another location where I could retrieve it on my way to Bryce Canyon, my next destination. He really went out of his way to be helpful and can't thank him enough. Everything else about our stay there was great also!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank utrocks
Tanya M, Owner at Best Western East Zion Thunderbird Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

That employee was me, Gordon's wife, and I was happy to bring it to Cedar City for you. He was insistent that I stopped at the hotel first to drop it off to you so I did not forget, and he drove it home to me to make sure I took it with me. The Best Western in Cedar that you stayed at is where my daughter works while she is going to college.

I am thrilled you got your charger back and that your stay was good! Thank you for your review.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel was a wonderful place to stay. The staff was very helpful, and the room was very clean and roomy. It was nice to be able to stay so close to national parks. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for this great review. Hubby is down in the dumps after the one before you. This will cheer him up.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Checked for one night, booked over 4months in advance and got treated by the front deck like we were bothering their nap. Room was clean, laid out very poor. Only one coffee packet for two of us? After telling them they acted like that was normal. REALLY.
Men's room in the lobby very very very gross DIRTY.
Tried in the evening and it was bad, again in the morning and it had never been cleaned.

Room Tip: The food in the restaurant was very good, if only the management worked as hard as the restaurant cr...
1  Thank todski85
Tanya M, Owner at Best Western East Zion Thunderbird Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Only one coffee packet is of course not the norm. I am sorry the front desk staff was not chipper. That is actually quite unusual. The restaurant bathroom in the lobby can get overwhelmed after a bus of people have hit is, but most of the time its in very good shape. I am sorry you had such a bad experience.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Located in a convenient area between Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park. Our room was very large! Two queen beds, table chairs, pation with two outside chairs right near the pool. Hotel is very clean and staff is helpful and friendly. There is a gift shop and a restaurant on the property. I'd read the restaurant reviews first, though. The hotel was sold out both nights we were there so I recommend making your reservations early.

Room Tip: Make your reservations early. This place seems to be sold out on a regular basis.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sonia719

Thank you for your review! It sounds like you have a great stay! The parks this time of year are simply magical.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Carmel
Zion Lodge
Zion Lodge
#1 of 2 in Zion National Park
Canyons Boutique Hotel - A Canyons Collection Property

Been to Best Western East Zion Thunderbird Lodge? Share your experiences!