Stayed at this lodge for 3 nights while visiting Zion and Bryce. We loved the room, the decor and the cleanliness. There were 3 of us staying in one room and it was very spacious. We were lucky enough to get a second floor room that overlooked the golf course which was perfect for me to watch my husband and brother play a couple of holes while I relaxed on the balcony. Loved the balcony and the guys loved the golf course which was very reasonably priced for motel guests. The beds were very comfortable and the rustic pine decor was perfect for that location.
We used the pool area a couple of times and found the pool water pretty cold but the hot tub was perfect. There is also a very nice area to sit around the pool and the view is quite pretty.
It's about 12 miles to the Zion entrance, but it is a long amazing drive to the Visitors centre. It's about 60 miles to Bryce, so overall to do both parks, Mt Carmel is a good location.
There is free wifi which worked great even in this fairly remote location.
Breakfast is not included and there is no free coffee except for the coffeemaker in the room.
There is a gas station and a store right next to the lodge which is very convenient.
Now for the bad - the restaurant. We had looked forward to eating in the restaurant and trying the ho-made pies, so we ended up disappointed. We went for lunch on our first day and it started with the unfriendly hostess. Service was so slow, although our waiter was friendly. We were in the restaurant for almost 2 hours just to have lunch, time we would have preferred spending doing other things, although we did enjoy watching the hummingbirds feeding outside the restaurant window. We went back for dinner and again the hostess was quite rude and looked at her watch before seating us and telling us they were closing at 10 (which we already knew) it was 8:50. We sat at our table until 9:20 with no one even acknowledging we were there before we decided to get up and leave. We ended up going to Golden Hills Restaurant across the road and ended up having all of our meals there. The place is not as nice as the Thunderbird, but the food, service and prices are a lot better. And it was still convenient just to walk across the road.
I've read other reviews that the restaurant at the Thunderbird was good, but we spoke to other guests at the motel during our stay that were also unhappy with the slow and unfriendly service.
Overall, we absolutely loved the hotel and golf course. Too bad the restaurant service was so bad. They lost a lot of business from us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Zion National Park lodging at its best! The BEST WESTERN East Zion Thunderbird Lodge offers a refreshing pool, hot tub, 9 hole golf course and free club rentals. Our rooms are 100% smoke free, 100% pet free, with balcony views and patios that overlook the beautiful mountains and lush green golf course, DirecTV. In-room coffee and tea, guest laundry facilities, direct dial in-room phones, free local and 1-800 calls, internet connections, AAA, AARP. We are located 12 miles from the east entrance to Zion National Park, 60 miles from Bryce Canyon National Park, 85 miles from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, 45 miles from Cedar Breaks National Monument, and 12 miles from the Coral Pink Sand Dunes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Best Western, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your BEST WESTERN East Zion Thunderbird Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western East Zion Thunderbird Hotel Mount Carmel
- Best Western Mount Carmel
- East Zion Thunderbird Hotel
- BEST WESTERN East Zion Thunderbird Lodge Utah/Mount Carmel