“Older property”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Carmel
Louisville, Kentucky
“Older property”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We were somewhat disappointed considering the nightly charge of the room (even with AAA discount). The hotel is very, very old. Probably built in the 50's or 60's based on the design, also has outdoor corridors and you park in front of your door. Although it has been updated as far as the bathrooms, the carpeting, drapes and bedspreads were not modern, nor was the furniture. It was, however, very clean and the staff was very nice. The rate does not include breakfast as there's a restaurant on site, which makes the nightly rate in my opinion too high. The rooms have refrigerators but no microwaves, so if you want hot food for breakfast you have to go to the restaurant. However, it's the only motel located between Zion and Bryce, so supply and demand probably allows them to over-charge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lahord59
Tanya M, Owner at Best Western East Zion Thunderbird Lodge, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
I am proud to say that my Grand parents homesteaded the land the hotel sits on in 1930. My Grandfather died, but my Grandmother pushed on and built the 3 units you saw. All 3 buildings were built at different times - about 10 years apart and have been remolded and updated often. I would have to guess you were in the single story units and got one of the very few rooms in that building that we have not finished updating yet. In fact, if you did not have hand crafted log furniture in that room, it was certainly one of the few that we are currently updating.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Groton, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The rooms were quiet and nicely kept by housekeeping - very clean, well-stocked, and the staff was responsive when needed. A broken iron was quickly replaced, extra coffee and sugar was provided upon request, etc. The exterior patio was a nice feature to have, and the wi-fi worked great in the room. Overall, the motel itself was a lovely place to stay, and would do so again. I would also recommend it to friends and family traveling through that area of the country.

However, I did respond on the Best Western survey that there were two things needing correction going forward: the hot water was off and on when taking a shower (was ok for a bath - but shocking at times when showering), and the restaurant (which I believe is under different management - but is still part of the same property) needs serious help. Perhaps they can be provided with a copy of this review? The quality of the food is pretty good for the most part, but the service is severely lacking. Gaby is the #1 waitress there, and should be made shift manager - or better. She really had it together in the mornings. The two gentleman that worked in the evenings were good as well, but several of the female waitresses (morning and evening shifts) were not timely, responsive, or helpful at all. They all seemed either over-loaded, under-slept, didn't like their job or all of the above. A more efficient seating and table assignment process is also in order there. Further, if a customer asks a question about the food, the staff should be able to either answer it or get it answered from the chef and get back to you about it. This did not happen for us - twice. Lastly, someone needs to keep a better eye on when the salad bar is running out of items offered. It was always low or out of something.

Other than the hot water being unpredictable and restaurant service needing help, the overall motel staff, rooms, service and amenities were all great. Thanks for a lovely stay! :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
" I would also recommend it to friends and family traveling through that area of the country." This is what I love to hear! Thank you

I will be sure to pass this review on to those that do manage the restaurant. Thank you for your review.
Northeast
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Check in was very smooth and fast. The lady who greeted us was very nice and helpful. The rooms were very spacious. However, one of our rooms had an onion smell in it. The other room's air conditioner wasn't strong enough to cool the room. It was hot in August.

We had dinner in the hotel. The entrees were meh, but the pies were DELICIOUS!!

Bryce Canyon was about an hour away. We had just driven from the Grand Canyon, so we weren't too happy to hear that we had to drive another hour to get to Bryce. You are also on the East end of Zion. So, it takes time to get to the actual park.

The hotel was definitely worth it for the price. But, I would probably stay closer to Bryce one night and then stay in Springdale when visiting Zion. I didn't like driving so much. But, if you don't mind it, then I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tanya M, Owner at Best Western East Zion Thunderbird Lodge, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Hello and thank you for your comments. I am glad to hear check in went well, the rooms were large and the price is great. You mention how hot it is in August, so I thought I would point out how much cooler it is in Mt. Carmel Jct. rather than Springdale. The elevation difference is enormous. Springdale though does have his benefits, but so does Mt. Carmel Jct.

We are located 12 miles from the east side of Zion National Park (which is the opposite end from the parks visitor center), 60 miles from Bryce Canyon and 85 miles to the entrance to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.
Park City, Utah
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed at hotel recently. Asked at restaurant if there was anything gluten free on the menu. Person didn't have a clue and when we asked if she could check with the chef said, "Oh we have a girl coming on later (wait staff) who knows about that stuff'. If the chef doesn't know, no-one does. Very disappointing. Tried again for breakfast but the waitress looked at us as if we were aliens and doesn't return after we asked her to check with the chef. Wasn't even fresh fruit on the breakfast menu. The motel across the road was great for food and were very accommodating.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tanya M, Owner at Best Western East Zion Thunderbird Lodge, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
I cannot comment much on the restaurant since I manage the hotel and have nothing to do with the restaurant. I do sympathize however! I have a milk and corn allergy and eating out is next to impossible. I went through the gluten process to see if it was that before I figured out my problem was corn. Gluten is a hard allergy/intolerance to deal with! My best bets are to eat from the salad bar and bring my own dressing when I eat out. Simple foods like steak should have been safe too. I know choosing simple is a poor substitute for having a staff that can accommodate a food allergy. I am sorry you had this problem and I will pass this on to those that do run the restaurant.

I am glad the Golden Hills Restaurant was able to accommodate you. I am so sorry that our restaurant could not.
Scotland
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here years ago as it was a convenient location for what we were planning to do. We chose the hotel again for the same reason for this visit. The room is large with plenty of space, with two large beds and a table and couple of chairs. The fridge isn't huge but is useful for chilling drinks. There is a small patio with a couple of chairs which is a nice feature.

Staff are OK. Whilst not unfriendly they don't seem as welcoming as some hotels. One fellow guest asked for the supervisor and was greeted with suspicion even though they wanted to praise the service. We wouldn't quite agree with them. Staff didn't have much local knowledge and had to refer to a copy of the notes available in room. When questioning the bill when checking out the staff member was a little off.

The restaurant is OK, nothing particularly exciting and pancakes were under cooked.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
A repeat visitor is always wonderful. Thank you for staying with us again.

I usually hear raves about our friendly staff, but this is the time of year we loose our college students and due to our remote location there is no one to replace them with. Perhaps the staff was feeling a bit overwhelmed which can happen for a couple of weeks in September before we slow for the season. I am not sure, but I will talk to them about this. As for the management, that would be my husband who is our GM for the hotel - we do not manage the restaurant however. If it was my husband, I will give him a harsh talking to - but that is so unlike him. He is usually Mr. Friendly who loves to chat and make everyone happy and tell jokes. As for giving out local information, there are some older ladies at the desk that don't get out much, but the majority of the staff knows the area well. I have a book that will be out next month about the area - Hiking in and near Zion National Park, and I try to keep my staff informed. There are excellent notes in the rooms that give suggestions of the best places to go. I wrote them myself and I know the area better than most. I also wrote a website that gives the same sort of information that we encourage visitors to look at. I do understand however that one one tip from the hotel staff trumps all that! I will talk with the staff and express your concerns.

I hope at your next visit you do not find us to be a bit off again. Thank you for your reply.
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I just returned from a road trip to Utah with 2 friends. We stayed at the Thunderbird Lodge in Mount Carmel Junction, Utah. This is my 2nd visit to this Lodge and it was a good this time as it was 3 years ago. Spacious, clean and comfortable rooms with balcony or patio - dining room and gift store, a nice pool and hot tub. Uncrowded when we were there. Staff are friendly and helpful - I love this place! We extended our stay for another night as a result. If you are visiting Zion, Bryce Canyon area of Southern Utah, this Best Western is recommended highly.

Room Tip: If you can get one of the rooms on the golf course you will love it even more