“Western food and hospitality at a good value”

Thunderbird Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Thunderbirds is the kind of place you hope to find when you travel. Good regional cuisine, served by friendly staff at a good value. But, there's more. They are the home of the "ho'made pie." There is a story that goes with that tawdry sounding name that you can read on the menu. Suffice it to say they do not take themselves too seriously except for the quality of their food and service. We liked the restaurant so much we ate there two days in a row. Oh, and they have hummingbird feeders right outside the window. There were as many as 8 hummingbirds just a few feet away from where we ate that were vying for a nectar meal of their own. They are located about 10 miles east of Zion National Park, and easy and scenic drive.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Being a "captive" tenant of the Thunderbird Motel, we HAD to eat in their restaurant because Mt. Carmel is the most nowhere tourist town I have EVER seen. How can you be on the gateway to a Major national park and have no fine dining, no entertainment, and no shopping (Unless you count the rock shops!). The Thunderbird restaurant is overpriced and the food was all pre-frozen or reconstituted. The pies were okay. Our potatoes were reconstituted. My fried chicken had ice crystals in it and made me nauseated. The waiter was very nice and we did not fault him, but the food, for the price, was inexcusable. $16.99 for frozen chicken and frozen vegetables. I am sorry, but we left the motel a day earlier than scheduled because there was no place to get food! I actually ate breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Subway, and it was the best, freshest food I ate while in Mt.Carmel.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We were seated and our server was there fast. Our food was served super HOT and good - nice!!! Don't order the iced tea though - was so strong it was almost like coffee. They have a small salad bar with soup - was good.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Try the bacon wrapped meat loaf it was very good and a little different. had such a nice dinner we came back for breakfast.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I recently travelled to Utah for 11 days of National Parks. The Thunderbird just happened to be on our way to Bryce from the KOA is Panguitch (that's a whole different story). How can you resisit the sign? Our waitress was very attentive and I ordered the Chicken Fried Steak bowl breakfast. Tender steak, gravy, hash browns, cheese, and 2 eggs over medium. The toast was ho made bread. The decor is southwestern, the restrooms were clean and the food was great