“Ho-Made Pies”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Yes, folks, the Thunderbird Restaurant's main attraction is its Ho-Made Pies, advertised by a leggy, buxom cartoon woman in a short apron, who looks vaguely like Aunt Fritzi from the Nancy comic strip. I have to say, the pie was terrific. My friends and I had the three-berry, my sister had apple, my wife had cherry. I also had the Thanksgiving dinner (on the day after Thanksgiving), and it hadn't lost anything for being leftovers. Our waitress was friendly and perky and it had the best gift shop I saw on my trip. It was a little overpriced, but not that badly for being an obvious tourist stop. I'd definitely go back.

Date of visit: November 2012

Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I had a breakfast here and a dinner. Both times the food was very good to great - and plentiful. The service was excellent, fast, friendly, genuinely nice ladies. I'll grant breakfast time was not that busy, but dinner was and still no problems. We have noted this place to stop at in the future.

Date of visit: November 2012
Reviewed October 28, 2012

At the junction of hwy 9 and 89 in Southern Utah, most of the customers are driving by on their way elsewhere. I had an average overcooked burger and fries. There were multiple other choices on their menu. The iced tea was equally bad, but the service was very good.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Driving from Hatch, Utah towards Zion Ntl. Park we stumbled on the this place in the Juntion of Mt. Carmel. It has a great story about how the Diner was founded and how the place grew through the years. Now t serves as a diner, hotel and has a golf course.
However, the food was perfect (breakfast) and the have d... good coffee :-)
If you pass this Junction remenber to stop for some food - and read the story about this great place.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The restaurant has a pleasant environment, a great salad bar, and truly homemade soups. On the sign out front, they pitch their ‘Ho Made Pies’ with a picture of a waitress in an extremely skimpy costume. I realize today that pitching this advertisement in this way may have an entirely different meaning to the ‘home boys’ from Los Angeles, but to us old folks, we still know what they mean. All the food at this restaurant is home made. For dinner, I had their pot roast which was just a little tougher than usual, but the flavor was great. My wife had a burrito special dinner with smoked beef that made the meal quite unique. (I got to eat part of the leftovers the next night) In the morning, we had pancakes, eggs and bacon just the way we wanted. The restaurant is fairly large and can handle large crowds, but there wasn’t any out of the ordinary crowds on the day we were there. However, we could see the other restaurant in town from the window and several bus tours stopped there and people were lined up outside trying to get service. We were glad that we had not chosen that place.