“BBQ Ribs served in 15 minutes?? How Suspicious!”

Goulding's Stagecoach Dining Room
Cuisines: American, Native American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“BBQ Ribs served in 15 minutes?? How Suspicious!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

To start with if you are eating in the Stagecoach Dinning Room, the chances are you are staying in the Goulding's Lodge. There is not much choice in this neck of the wood. The menu is simple fare, very hearty and rustic. There are some local dishes, like Navajo fried bread, otherwise, it is burgers, fried chicken, prawn cocktails. The price are the same as a bistro or restro in DC. It does not make an impression on me with the food.

The first night I ordered a chicken salad and added some prawns in it. The portion was huge. My companion ordered a steak. Frankly, it was neither here or there.

I dined twice there, even though the second night I drove out to other town nearby to look for food, but no way of finding any, as there was a snow storm, most of the other small motels and restaurants let go of their staffs early!! Ended up drove back to Stagecoach for anotherdinner. The second night I ordered a baby ribs, and my companion ordered fried chicken. My ribs were served within 15 minutes, I was wondering how did that happen?? You surely cannot cook it in such a short time. My first bite tells me that the rib was either poached first or it has been used to make soup first and then re-use for the entrée, then grilled it or put it into the oven. It was smeared with a thick layer of BBQ sauce. By that point, I am already staving and had no energy to change it. In any case, where else would I go, no where else was open!! Food that are not cook from scratch on the spot rarely is good food. I think the restaurant is in a position that they don't have to improve on their quality of food and would still has customers. The lodge serves large tour group even in low season. When I was there, there were groups of Japanese tourists and some FIT (frequent individual travelers) even in low season. If I were the Executive Chef there, I would look into improving the quality of the food. The staffs are friendly. Though the first night when I asked for balsamic vinegar to go with my salad, I was told there was none. I told her to go and ask the kitchen, there must be balsamic vinegar somewhere in a restaurant, right??

Having said all the above, it has the best buttermilk pancake for breakfast. I love breakfast there.

I will let you be the judge yourself.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Superlegalbabe

Rockville
“Must Try the Navajo Taco!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

If dining at the Stagecoach Dining Room, which is on the Gouldings Hotel property, you must try the Navajo Taco! Basically an open face taco on fried dough, what is not to love? This restaurant is not gormet or fine dining, but it is one of the only places to eat in Monument Valley, and is part of the experience, in my opinion. It is similar to a family diner or Ponderosa. Has a salad bar, that you pay by number of trips. The service was fine, prices were average. My friends got untraditional Navajo food, and they were not as happy with their choices. If you are eating here, try some traditional food. Convenient since it is steps away from your hotel room, if staying at Gouldings, and open till 8:30pm. But the Navajo Taco steals the show!

• Visited February 2013
New Hampshire
“Comfort food”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This tribal restaurant has traditional American food. During a very busy lunch time, we received good and prompt service. We tried the fried bread, chili and a sandwich. All were very tasty and substantial. No complaints.

• Visited October 2012
Surrey
“One of few restaurants locally”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We ate here one evening we stayed at Gouldings Lodge. The food was fairly good, all food came with soup and salad bar. Alcohol is not served here due to it being in a Navajo reserve but they did not seem to take offence when we asked for a beer. There aren't too many choices for places to eat near MV unless you want to drive 25 odd miles back to Kayenta and grab a McDonalds or Burger King but the Navajo flatbread (tasted like a big yorkshire pudding) was worth a go.

Visited October 2012
New South Wales, Australia
“Terrible Service !!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We dropped in for a late lunch after the self drive tour through the Valley. There was only three tables of diners there, but the service was abysmal, it took way too long to be initially served and then we had to ask three times for our drink order (just two sodas).
The food was reasonable, but nothing special - although it seemed it was not warmed enough (3 out of the 4 dishes).
My wife still left a tip, but the staff did not deserve it at all.
Worst service so far in 5 weeks, across 11 states/provinces in North America.

Visited November 2012