“Great tour!”

and up
Lower Monument Valley Safari
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Navajo Owned and Operated touring Company, Offering Private, Scenic, Cultural excursions into Monument Valley and the Surrounding area.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Came here on a very windy day but MVS made the best of it- we got a private tour in an enclosed vehicle. Bobby was a great tour guide- very knowledgeable and patient with many questions. He is great on the flute and is an EXCELLENT photographer! Seriously he took some of our best pictures from Monument Valley! Really a great experience, thank you!!

2 Thank Tiffanyess

• Korean first
Sequim, Washington, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“3.5 Hour Scenic & Cultural Excursion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

We first met Emmanuel the silversmith at his shop. He was friendly and helpful, both my wife and myself immediately felt he was a good and honest person. He arranged for a tour for us it
included another couple. The next morning we were pleased to meet Duffy Holiday our Navajo Guide. Duffy did an out standing job! He was a good driver, he listened to what we wanted and did not want, he was aware of our needs and worked really hard to make it the best imaginable tour. Copy and paste this into your web browser to hear and see Duffy playing his flute.

I would recommend taking this tour opposed to self tour or one of the group (20 person) tours.
In life there are lots of decisions to make, you will not regret deciding to tour Monument Valley with "Monument Valley Safaris"

1 Thank Hansey J
Aulendorf, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Valley-Rallye Amusement Park”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and I had booked a 2.5 h tour at short term through the internet and I must say everything worked out fine. The communication was just perfect and so we met our guide, Clifford, in the lobby of the View Hotel. We had to wait for about 30 minutes for two other guests. So we had an almost private tour.
Clifford was very nice and gave us a lot of interesting information about the valley and some of the Navajo's customs. When I told him that I had done that tour 17 years ago, he asked me about the guide's name and he managed that I could meet Ray and talk some words. I found that absolutely obliging and would like to thank him again.

The total experience though, left me kind of confused. On one hand I enjoyed sharing the visual impressions with my husband, watching him understand why I have always been so enthusiastic about Monument Valley. On the other hand I was shocked about the amusement park feel of the entire scene. Masses of people, an uncountable number of cars (even SPORTScars!) trying to ride the bumpy dirt road, the road itself widened like a highway... But what shocked me most was the crowd that gathered at the "Big Hogan". This is a rock formation featuring a dome with a wonderful acoustic. Back in the day I sat there on a rock with two or three other people, listening to Ray singing a spiritual song. Tears in our eyes, experiencing a close emotional attachment to the environment and to the people living in it. When the song ended none of us was able to speak. And the last thing we would have done was clapping our hands. We whispered a Thank You and gave Ray's hand a squeeze. I have kept that experience in my heart for over 17 years.

Nowadays it's completely different. When we arrived at the Big Hogan there were already two groups of people. While one guide sang a round dance song the visitors imitated a dance watching themselves and others through the displays of their digital cameras. There was a lot of noise, people talking, yelling, clapping their hands - to me it was a terrible thing to watch. The place now to me is a violated sanctuary which really hurts me.
I know I am not in a position to judge anyone and I don't want to - but, are the Navajo people aware that they are selling out? I understand the necessity of making money - things don't work without it. But, please (!!) be careful! Monument Valley is not just rocks - it's the spirit, too.

4 Thank Dorofan
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A day we will always remember!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We hadn't booked before we arrived and were really worried that we'd miss out on a tour but after locating the tour guides down at the 'hut' just outside View Hotel, I was assured we could get on the next tour in half an hour - phew, we didn't have to drive our car! We were introduced to Bobby our guide for the day and he was attentive and polite right from the start. Fortunately there were only 5 on our tour so we were able to have a chat together with Bobby about various points of interest at our leisure and we enjoyed getting away from the main trails enjoying the majestic scenery at each stop. Oh! And we loved Bobby's flute playing whilst gazing through the Eagle Eye - fantastic tour!

1 Thank kdashman
McAlester, Oklahoma
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Seminole visiting Navajo Country”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Wonderful, Great experience, Bobby was our guide for the evening tour he was the best. He took his time and answered every question our group asked. I was scouting this place out for a future family trip and WOW was it worth it! Being Native American I felt a close connection with the land and the people. I would recommend this cultural experience to all Native Americans.