“It was a nice experience but time is too short!”

Monument Valley Safari
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Navajo Owned and Operated touring Company, Offering Private, Scenic, Cultural excursions into Monument Valley and the Surrounding area.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stroller parking
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I just returned from a sunrise tour with the company. It says 2 1/2 hours, but you spent 1 3/4 of hours travelling back and forth. The sites was interesting to see, but everything is in a big rush.

I paid $95 instead of $75 they listed on the website since I jolined the tour on the parking lot. I think most of the Indian people are honest and genuine. I'm disappointed.

6  Thank nijelose
Write a ReviewReviews (1,060)
All reviews
"his knowledge"
in 23 reviews
"take pictures"
in 27 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 16 reviews
"answered all our questions"
in 10 reviews
"an amazing experience"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed August 3, 2011

While traveling through Monument Valley on a business trip with my wife and one of my business partners, we decided to stop at a roadside jewelry stand where one of the roadside proprietors informed us of the "Navajo Market, just 5 miles up the road." After making our purchases, we started off for the market place.

To our surprise, we found a nice facility where the local artists, vendors and proprietors have small shops in the cinder block constructed buildings. There are also well maintained and clean restroom facilities onsite. Each vendor's unit have overhead garage doors that allow the vendors to open their shops for easy access for traveling shoppers.

One of the vendors we met was Nate Holiday, the owner of "Monument Valley Safari," who does personalized Jeep tours. Nate informed us that his Safari business has only been in existence for a little over a year. None of us had been to Monument Valley before but have wanted to travel through it to see it's breathtaking scenery. We didn't realize that there were any sort of guided tours available as we had not done any research prior to our arriving at Monument Valley. I don't remember seeing any signs advertising tours either which is probably a good thing so they don't clutter up the natural beauty of the area.

We were hesitant to take the tour as we were short on time and behind schedule. But, Nate assured us that taking the tour is "something you have to see..."

Man, are we glad we listened to Nate! He sent us out in one of their 4-door Jeeps with Clint as our "Photographic Tour Guide." Clint admitted that his guided tours cater to the shutterbugs and professional photographers alike. My business partner is a self-proclaimed "professional" photographer and figured this would be perfect to enhance his "career." :)

Clint shared his knowledge of the current local culture and societal nuances as well as the past cultures and civilizations that once inhabited the area. He took us to a hogan where an elderly Navajo lady by the name of "Susie" shows tourists the inside of a hogan. Susie doesn't speak English but Clint helped us talk to her a bit. Clint informed us that Susie is approximately 96 or 97 years old. She gave my wife a traditional Navajo hair-do while inside the hogan. Make sure and bring some $1 and $5 dollar bills as you are asked to donate a little to Susie's hogan to help her feed her animals.

Clint also took us to a small marketplace atop a small mesa where there were local artists displaying their jewelry and pottery. The prices for the artwork and jewelry were very reasonable and they surprisingly were equipped to accept credit cards for purchases! There was also a food stand that sold some of the best fry bread I've ever tasted!

After the short shopping excursion, Clint showed us some awesome places for photos of the very unique landscape and rock formations. He also took us to remote places to show us some of the remnant cliff dwellings, ruins and pictographs which make you really stop to think about how the people of the area really lived hundreds, even thousands of years ago.

To try to explain this tour in words is futile. We're so grateful that Nate convinced us to take the tour and that Clint was so open to sharing not only the history of the area but a lot of personal stories as well. He has a great sense of humor and made the tour a lot of fun!

Skye, Nate's son was also very friendly and helpful once we returned back to the shops. Nate informed us that his mother makes most of the jewelry and other art pieces in their shop.

We also met a couple of the other shop owners, artists and the young couple who own and run a small restaurant in the marketplace. You have to try the Navajo Taco! But bring your appetite because you're gonna need it to tackle these monsters!

One thing Clint should have told us was that there are a lot of sandy areas that you'll be walking through and that sandals probably aren't the best footwear. I would suggest hiking boots of some sort so that you can do a little more exploring comfortably.

Definitely bring some water and maybe a little snack as you'll be out for 3-4 hours depending on the tour package you take. Or, there is always the food stand on the small mesa. I suggest their longer tours so that you have a better chance of seeing more of the awesome area.

Near the mesa, there is a place you can rent horses to go through some of the different areas on horseback. We'll be doing that next time for sure!

Also, bring sunscreen as the sun can get intense at times. Bring a camera with lots of room for pictures and even a video camera.

Next time we come, we're going to do the moonlight tour that Clint was telling us about. He said taking a tour during a full moon on a clear night with all of the stars is something you'll never forget! Obviously, that would take some planning and some good luck in weather!

Bottom line...if you're in Monument Valley and you don't take a tour with Nate's Monument Valley Safari, you're short changing yourself out of an experience that you'll remember for a lifetime!

I highly recommend taking this tour!

5  Thank AioB
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I took a tour with Monument Valley Safari, and had the pleasure to experience a world class tour with a world class tour guide: Skye. Not only was the tour adventurous - we navigated over rough jeep trails, exploring the hidden treasures of Monument Valley - but the tour was narrated with professionalism, personality, and legitimacy from the very beginning. Our tour guide was extremely well educated in the Navajo culture, as well as the natural, geological, and historical aspects of Monument Valley. From hieroglyphics to Anasazi ruins, hidden arches to "The Mittens," this tour with Monument Valley Safari will provide even the most informed scholar with a new look and even further enhanced knowledge of Monument Valley. Furthermore, Skye (our tour guide) provided a personal side to the tour; he carried on conversations, laughed, made jokes, etc.
For many people, this tour may seem like an expensive venture. Let me make this 100% clear: This tour is WORTH EVERY PENNY, and will change the way you see the Navajo culture and the beauty of Monument Valley. I highly recommend it to any and all people, it will undoubtedly be the highlight of your adventures in this area.

5  Thank ReedS93
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Had to reschedule due to weather and they could not have been nicer. The next day, Duffy showed up, on time, got us settled into the 4 door Jeep Wrangler and off we went! He carefully explained all stops and knowing my wife is a photographer, made sure he stopped at all the great shots and she got some great ones. Thanks Duffy and thanks Emmanual, the Navajo SilverSmith next door to MV Safari for recommending this great tour company.

3  Thank tumblwede