“Fun and informative”

Navajo Spirit Tours - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Our guides will take you on an adventure through a land full of Beauty and Mystery. Navajo Spirit Tours is dedicated to sharing culture, history, geology and archeology of the area. It is important to us that you feel as though you are part of Monument Valley and not just a visitor.
Reviewed April 24, 2014

This was a good combination of history, culture, and scenery. We enjoyed interaction with our guide - she answered our question, and was very upbeat. I thought they could spend a little money on the roads, but I didn't have high expectations in this regard. Once the tour began, bathrooms were of the unisex portable variety.

1  Thank BigBigAl
Navajo_Spirit_Tours, Manager at Navajo Spirit Tours - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Thanks so much for your review! We are happy you had a great time with our guide, Miesha is one of the smartest most talented people I know. She is a lot of fun to take a tour with!

You brought up some points that are really important to us and to the families living in the Valley. The roads are rough and hard on anyones vehicles including all of the tour companies and Valley residents in Monument Valley. Unfortunately the tour companies cannot fix the roads because we would be changing the integrity of the park and it is against the rules. The roads are managed by the tribal park. I am aware that the tribal park has had surveyors come and assess the road in the last few years but some of the problems they have to look at is keeping the integrity of the Valley while fixing the road. Pavement would not be pretty as you drive into the Valley. Another problem if you are familiar with the landscape of the southwest is the road is a wash. When it rains hard it can become a waterfall. (We do not run tours and cancel when this happens) When the water runs down the side of the road it will eat away at the sides so if it were paved it would wash up the pavement. It is nearly an impossible feat to fix the road. The tribe does grate it every year a couple of times a year but the decline is stone in some areas so even that does not work. It is an ongoing concern for everyone.

Bathrooms are also an issue inside the park and are also managed by he tribal park. Again it is a problem not just for people traveling through but for all people who reside in the park. There is no running water inside the park making it impossible to put in proper rest area facilities. The View hotel is as far as the water lines run. The local residents would like to have water but at this point there is no resource for them to run lines in. We do have a meeting with the Park on the 5th of May and I am going bring up your point of putting in separate male and female outhouses. You are right, I would not want to share:) Again thank you for your review. These are issues that need to be dealt with and the best way to deal with them is to call and speak with the tribal park. They can answer more of your questions. I hope I was was able to clarify why the roads are rough and the restrooms are few. Thanks so much!

Michelle Holiday

Write a ReviewReviews (1,333)
All reviews
in 51 reviews
"visit monument valley"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed April 19, 2014

I took the all day tour back on March 14. Just getting around to writing a review. Did a number of things on this trip, including hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, taking the Sedona Pink Jeep Tour, etc. The day spent in Monument Valley with Larson ranks up there with those other cool experiences. I'll quote another reviewer. "He was a gracious host and made the day we spent with him interesting. We had lots of questions about the area and the people and he had lots of insight to give us. We'll never forget our time with Larson in Monument Valley." I toured with 4 other "strangers", including 2 from that state up north (Michigan). Larson kept us busy, showed us more than I would have imagined, and did indeed educate us about the area, while keeping the trip very fun. He does have a great eye for scenery (he is a photographer, and a very good musician (NA flute)). He did show us "his homeland", and he was very genuine. I knew Monument Valley would be visually stunning (much better than seeing things like the Mittens in a book), but it was also more peaceful than I could have imagined. I'm thankful I could tour this area, and learn about people who have lived there and a bit about folks currently living in this natural wonder. Larson--If you read this -- thanks again for a great day. If your bosses read this -- you guys know that Larson is a gem. If my fellow tour folks ever read this--I enjoyed seeing the sights with you, and it was good to find out how friendly folks from here and there are. Go Bucks!

Anyway, if you are thinking about taking a tour in Monument Valley, I recommend seeing everything you can, because it is good to see the area from many different perspectives, and it is great to have a guide like Larson, who can make your day.

2  Thank Doug K
Reviewed April 18, 2014

It is almost impossible for me to put into writing the impact of this tour. Our guide Don was informative and full of information about the area its history and people and the spiritual impact of the Area on its use.

We were taken around by Don who is a fantastic ambassador for his his people and culture and the highlight of the tour ( and actually my whole to the USA) was our visit to the cave shaped like an eagles head and the song he sang for us there. Frankly if it doesn't bring you to tears you have no soul, its one of the most uplifting experiences of my life and I've been around a bit so I know. It was amazing to see someone so closely in touch in with spirituality of his people.

Thanks Don I'd love to come back and spend more time.

1  Thank joss1085
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We took this tour in March. There was a slight mix-up in the number of customers that day and initially they didn't bring enough vehicles to the meeting spot at the View Hotel. We, and another couple, had to wait about 1/2 an hour for Gary, the owner, to arrive. That was a minor irritant. The day started out clear and cold. The wife and I had plenty of warm clothing to bundle up in case we were put in an open-air vehicle, which I was initially hoping we'd get. When we met Gary in the hotel lobby I asked if we'd be in an open-air or enclosed vehicle. Gary stated because of the cold, we'd be in an enclosed. Although initially disappointed, that turned out to be one of the best calls of the day! (Don't argue with the experts). As the day progressed, the wind started whipping up. It got to the point of a full blown sand storm at 40+ degree temperatures. We saw truckloads of tourists in the back of open-air "Gouldings Tours" trucks, some with flimsy clear plastic enclosures, gettting sand-blasted and freezing to death! How can one enjoy a tour with your head crammed beneath the collar of their jackets like a turtle, yet that's what most in the Gouldings trucks were doing in order to stay warm and to keep from being blinded by the blowing sand. They looked absolutely MISERABLE. At the hogans, we met up with Will Cowboy, who they called in to backfill, and we transferred over to his Suburban. Will was an incredibly informative and helpful guide. He gave us much insight into the Navajo lifestyle and culture. We did the 2 1/2 hour tour and felt we didn't miss a thing. I don't think you could find a finer tour company than "Navajo Spirits Tour" if you should visit Monument Valley. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 rating is because of the vehicle mix-up in the beginning. I'd have preferred to give them a 4 1/2 star rating.

2  Thank Cgopat
Navajo_Spirit_Tours, Manager at Navajo Spirit Tours - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Thanks for your review, we appreciate that we were able to give you an enjoyable time in the Valley after a rough start. I always say to every customer that says "we are amazed at your trip adviser reviews" that it is our customers that make us who we are. We try to do everything by the book and never make any mistakes but the reality is we can't do that because we are not perfect. Human error is a part of running a company like this one. When we do make an error we strive to make it right. We want you to be able to go on and enjoy every minute without dwelling on the mistake we made. I am also glad we decided to take the closed vehicle. This may be the most difficult year we have had since we began our tour company. The weather has not been cooperative. We are generally able to run open air trucks the first or second week of March but this year we are headed into May and we are still only able to use them part time. Mother Nature is testing al of us across the country this year. I just hope that after a rough beginning it turns out to be the best season ever! I hope that after you left Monument Valley you found yourself enjoying the rest of your vacation andI hope we will meet again someday! Thanks again for your review! And again we do have great customers! You are appreciated!

Michelle Holiday