“Great tour” 5 of 5 bubbles

36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Great tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

We opted for the sunrise tour for something a little different. Well, we went to bed with our cell phones on Utah time and alarms set, and woke up to find that they had decided to switch to Arizona time (AZ doesn't observe daylight savings). Since we were a whole hour behind, I was convinced I had just lost the deposit money and tour altogether. We called Blackwater and they were very understanding and said that our tour guide didn't mind waiting for us. We felt horrible, but they made it seem like no big deal at all.

The tour itself was amazing! Although we had missed the very early stages of sunrise, we caught some of it and it was breathtaking! The guide was very knowledgable in many areas - the creative names of all the monuments, history of the area, and he even pointed out specific places where many films have been shot there. I figured we'd get a speedy/half tour since we were late, but that wasn't so. The guide didn't seem rushed at all and gave us the full tour, which I felt went above and beyond.

I'd definitely recommend Blackwater. Oh, and I'd definitely recommend the sunrise tour! We felt as though the valley was all ours... not another soul in sight! Upon finishing up, the cars started to roll in by the dozens.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank hmj1986

Sydney, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A fabulous tour of a fascinating place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

We were very lucky to be the only 2 people doing this tour, other operators had full vehicles, so we had a private tour. We had a very personal tour with our guide also showing us the Mystery Valley. The tour was listed as 2 1/2 hours, but we spent at least 3 hours among the outstanding scenery. Patrick happily told us about Navajo life and showed us the best places to take our photos while explaining the names and history of the numerous features. We thoroughly enjoyed our tour and would recommend it to anyone who wants to see this fascinating place.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Jack_A_11719
Nottingham UK
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“A brilliant way to spend a morning!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

We opted for a tour of Mystery Valley and were not really sure what we were going to see. We met our guide, Patrick, in the hotel car park and were the only four people on the tour. Patrick was extremely knowledgable and friendly and took us out in a modified pick-up truck with about 12 seats and an overhead shade. It was a good 3 hour tour with a plentiful supply of cold water.

After a short trip down the road, we went off onto a sandy trail to view areas of the valley off limits unless you have a guide. We saw ancient ruins and paintings, wonderful rock formations and were able to climb up through rock arches. Patrick answered all our questions and provided us with lots of information but never once made us feel rushed.

Visited August 2011
4 Thank MATTNottinghamUK
Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent 3 Hour Sunrise Tour - Thank You!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

Our tour of Monument Valley in the morning was absolutely marvelous!
We booked a private sunrise tour the evening before May 21, 2011 for May 22, 2011 @ 5:00 a.m. with Blackwater Tours. It was kind of pricey at $176.80, but it was worth every penny. In the morning, our guide Patrick was there at 5:00 a.m. waiting for us at the Monument Valley Visitor Center parking area. There were some other companies and people there, but when we started the tour it seemed like the whole valley was reserved for us, there was not a soul around. While on tour, our guide Patrick was very informative and knowledgable about the local area, culture, and geology. Around the middle of the tour we reached an area of many arches. After a few arches, we stopped at a place called "The Hogan Arch", there Patrick sang a beautiful native song that touched my heart, I will always remember it.

I greatly recommend Blackwater Tours and an open vehicle if you visit Monument Valley.

There was another article here that bothered me. We were there at 5:00 a.m. there were two Blackwater Tours guides, how did that person not meet his tour guide?

Visited May 2011
2 Thank tracy g
UK
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 167 helpful votes
“Overcharged/payment issues but good guide”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

We did not book our tour until the day we arrived in Monument Valley. I had looked on trip before I went and decided to go with Navajo Spirit tours but I could not contact them. The only tour company I managed to get through to on the phone and they had same day availability were Blackwater.

Now I was told on the phone that the three hour tour would be $60 each, when we were picked up we were told 65$ each. Then the guys credit card machine would not work so we were forced to use the limited cash we had left on us or be charged to us the ATM machine. However, I did not have change and handed over $140 and couldn't get change so it cost us $70 each!!!

We were the only two on the tour so in effect it was a private one which was great. Frank our guide was lovely and it was a good trip. Unfortunately, we only had $10 left on us for a tip and the 'boss' had taken all our cash which is a real shame but we did explain this to him.

Finally, when I called I asked if there was anything we needed to bring with us e.g water, I was assured this would be provided so no need, however, this was not the case luckily I decided to take water anyway otherwise it would have been a long and thristy three hours!

All in all I would not use them again or recommend them before of the hassle and over charging.

Visited June 2011