“Worth the trip, take a tour (even though it's expensive!!)”

Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park
Cultural Tour of Lower Monument Valley Tribal Park
London, United Kingdom
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 154 helpful votes
“Worth the trip, take a tour (even though it's expensive!!)”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Monument Valley is so famous it needs no introduction. The dirt roads are pretty awful. We were in a hire car (sports 4x4) and initially attempted the drive but the condition of the road was so poor we turned around. It was extremely bumpy and rough. It improves a little after the initial section but not much!!

Taking a tour is expensive, but not as expensive as wrecking your car. We took a three hour tour with the tour company in the parking lot by the hotel. It was still pretty bumpy but had the advantages:
1. The driver of our hire car (me) was not completely stressed out by the road. I could actually sit back and enjoy the experience.
2. You are able to visit areas in the park that self-drives cannot. We found these the most interesting.
3. We learned a lot about the park and the Navajo people from our tour guide.

If I could horseback ride I think this would have been another good option. The view from the parking lot over the valley is also great if you are pushed for time/really can't drive or afford a tour.

Visited August 2013

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Dream come true”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The first time I saw Monument valley was from m flight from San francisco to Arkansas for my job at Walmart. From the plan I saw huge golden rocks standing up in the golden desert with no signs of civilization in sight. I made myself a promise, I will find out what place this is and will visit. I researched and found out it was The Monument Valley! I booked a flight to Albuquerque with a buddy rented a Jeep on thanksgiving and drove all the way to this majestic place.

I was Stunned to see the multi colored rocks and how well they are preserved and the shadows in the sunset giving the desert a look like mars, but with a touch of ancient Indian civilizations. Be sure to visit near by Four Corners and Mesa Verde, Forest Gump sign (Where he stops running)! and the Mexican Hat

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Apoorv B
New York
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Beautiful scenery”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We had the 2.5 hours Jeep tour and love it. Don't remember the name of the company, but Sam, the driver seems too quiet. Well, it doesn't bother me as the purpose of the tour is to take photos. Maybe I was at Arches National Park before Monument Valley. I found Arches has much more to see.

Cape Town, RSA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“You can easily do the 17 mile drive in a normal sedan”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I read a number of the reviews on the 17 mile drive, how scary it is in a sedan, etc. Not so! I did the drive in a normal sedan (corolla), and providing you go slow, especially in the beginning, and you apply a little common driving sense, such as to avoid the odd pot hole, or large stone, it is certainly passable without too much fuss. And, without damaging your vehicle. The worst is the first half mile. After that, the road improves. Save yourself $90 upwards, and drive it yourself, rather than be bunched up on the back of an open vehicle, eating dust. Unless you want to experience beyond the conventional 17 miles, then go for a tour operator. I have driven far, far worse gravel roads in a sedan that would make the 17 mile drive seem like a tar paved highway. Just be careful on the initial descent, and go very slow. The views to be seen are AWESOME!!

3 Thank Russell H
North, South Carolina
200 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 201 helpful votes
“Beautiful formations”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Amazing natural stone formations can be seen from a distance or by entering the park with a tribal guide. Sites used in many western and other films for decades. Worth going out of your way for this magnificent scenery. Great photo ops or just for looking.

1 Thank Cands2