6,631 results
All reviews no alcohol gift shop sunset and sunrise green chile stew top floor valley floor navajo nation front row lives up to its name unobstructed view rooms face the sun rise room balcony third floor full moon place to stay star view
Reviewed May 30, 2009

Was an architect involved in planning this hotel? We had a 'Star View Room'. 20 extra bucks so the sun beat in mercilessly from our half-covered balcony. The room furnishings were average - two beds, a desk, a flat screen TV, a dresser. For $230+ odd we paid for the room, do you think they could've provided a comfortable chair, maybe a recliner for sitting?

The room is noisy. The air conditioner is merciless. We left our screen open, but the hotel is not positioned to catch the prevailing breezes, so the room was always hot, leaving us to resort to the roar of the air conditioner. The views are magnificent. No arguments there. But the hotel's orientation makes it impossible to enjoy except early morning or late afternoon into evening.

Yes, the stars came out, but we had to wait until the glare from the restaurant patio lights were mostly turned off, sometime after 10 to really appreciate them. We came up from Phoenix hoping to escape the light pollution, only to find the hotel provided their own.

The staff were nice, if unhelpful, regarding things to do in the valley. There's no respite at the hotel - no place to sit in the heat of the day to recover from an early morning tour. No pool to lounge by, no spa services, no comfy chair in the room, no shady spot to watch the view...

We didn't eat at the restaurant. The food looked nasty and it was expensive. The breakfast bacon had an overcooked, left in the grease quality about it. Our Navajo guide recommended Gouldings, told us the food reviews from his clients staying at The View weren't good.

The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was cheap. One lonely standard soap holder in the tub and no grab bar. The tub and surround were Home Depot specials. The toilet was industrial and the towels were hung right above the lidless bowl. Yuck.

Goulding's looked friendlier when we went by there. I don't know what the rooms looked like. I decided that Monument Valley is a money suck. They have you over a barrel regarding accommodations and you can't see anything without paying a basket of money to a Navajo guide.

We never checked out the Trading Post. There were plenty of jewelry stands along the 17-mile loop which was the only place non-Navajo were allowed to meander unattended. We picked up some very pretty things and enjoyed talking with the vendors. Monument Valley is gorgeous. Too bad so few of the population have the money to see it.

I decided the valley is best done as a 'stopover' point, unless one knows the area very well. That is, drive up from Phoenix, do a sunset tour, spend the night, maybe do a sunrise tour, back to the hotel to freshen up and check out, then move on to your next destination. That's how I'll do it next time, but I'll probably stay at the Quality Inn in Kayenta. At least I'd get Choice Hotel Points.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
7  Thank FamilyTraveler1000
Reviewed May 25, 2009

I began planning our trip to Utah 4 months ago. When it came to picking a place to stay while in the Monument Valley area I found the pickings slim, very slim. The choices were Gouldings which seemed quite old and outdated or the new View hotel that according to the reviews had lots of bugs to work out. Since we prefer new to old, we chose to stay at the View. We were very happy with our decision.

Once the decision was made I kept a close eye on the reviews here. Despite the negative reviews that popped up here at TA, I have to say we were very pleased with our choice.

We did not run across a single employee who was anything less than helpful and polite and professional. From the front desk, to the gift shop, to the restaurant and the maintenance workers everyone we encountered was pleasant,

Our room was gorgeous. The bed was very comfortable and we slept quite well. The pillows were a bit too pouffy for me, I'm 5 ft. tall and they were longer than that! The view from the room was spectacular.

We only had lunch at the restaurant once during our 2 day stay as we were out and about during other meal times. We both had sandwiches and they were fine. Nothing fancy but more than satisfactory.

I believe I learned the secret to full internet access in your room. The day we arrive I could only get local internet service from our room (second floor and down the hall furthest away from the front desk) that evening however we went down to the lobby in order to have full internet access. From that point on I had full access in our room. My suggestion is connect from the lobby the first time and you will probably be able to have full access in your room from that point on. I found the connection to be fast, not at all slow as had been reported here in another review.

I thought the lobby, the rooms and the hallways were very tastefully decorated. I saw nothing cheap about the decor. The carved furniture (tables, chairs, benches) placed throughout the hotel were beautiful and the fireplace with the Kachina dolls on display was beautiful. The seating in the lobby was generous and quite comfortable.

The gift shop was very nice and we purchased quite a few items. They had nice discounts on their pottery and jewelry and we came away with quite a few very nice pieces of both.

Despite how much we enjoyed ourselves I will say there were a couple of things that we felt the hotel could do that would make staying there a bit better. I would have much rather had a nice mug for coffee in the room. Styrofoam cups seemed a bit cheap.

The wooden blinds at the patio window are very nice but we would've loved to have been able to pull a black out shade for the one day of our vacation when we really would've liked to have slept in. Functioning for over a week & a half with a 3 hr. time change, running on full tilt we were exhausted by this point of our Utah stay, but by 6 a.m. the room was flooded with light and we were awake. We both need complete dark to sleep.

Other than those two issues we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the View and would definitely recommend the hotel as well as stay again ourselves..

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank OhioPoppy
Reviewed May 22, 2009

After reading some of the reviews here I kind of had an idea of what to expect. What I didn't expect is for the view to be that memorable. There was a lot of construction going on while we were there but that did not diminish the experience in any way. The staff was gracious, attentive, and kind. The rooms were spacious, very clean and nicely decorated. I can agree with a couple of the other reviews in that there is little, if any, insulation between the rooms. Luckily the air conditioner drowns out the conversations going on in the next room. The food in the restaurant was great. Prices were very reasonable. The gift shop had many beautiful items including jewelry and pottery. The prices were actually better there than anywhere else we went. And we shopped a lot!!! A refrigerator in the room is a nice touch. I would highly recommend this hotel. It is similar to the ones at the Grand Canyon. It will be full in no time.

Date of stay: April 2009
4  Thank flyin4fun
Reviewed May 21, 2009

While the view at The View is magnificant, you can see the same thing by visiting the hotel. You can sit on their balcony and enjoy the view without renting a room. The hotel is cheaply made. Only five months old, the bed was beginning to sag,;the carpeting looks like it is decades old. Their gift shop is cheap tourist crap, but the same $20 coffee mug was $7.50 at Gouldings across the way, which also has charm and some of the most beautiful Indian art and jewelry I have evern seen in the Southwest (prices to match.) Had a hair in my dinner at The View. Very poor menu, poor service, and very poor design where the kitchen and restauarant are separated by the thoroughfare between the hotel and the gift shop. Waiters with loaded trays are jockeying around visitors waiting for tables and others strolling through the area. The whole hotel is the most ridiculous deisgn I have ever seen. Over half the tables in the restaurant have no view. The "grand" entrance to the hotel is one (not even a double) glass door, like you're going into a convenience store. It is so nondescript that they had to hang a tacky huge banner over it to tell people it's the entrance. After awhile we began to laugh at how ridiculous everything was designed. It looks like no architect was involved in it at all. If someone were to ask me for a recommendation, I would say to visit The View and enjoy a soda on the balcony to take in the fabulous view, but stay at Gouldings, which is cheaper and has much more charm and ambience given it's history and origins. We paid $238/night and it wasn't worth it.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank pansynewmexico
Reviewed May 21, 2009

On the Navaho Reservation with excellent views of the "monuments". One year old; rooms are excellent. Restaurant is very good, not outstanding. A bit expensive for the area; but the property is the best.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends