“Average hotel - tourist ripoff”
Review of The View Hotel

and 1 more site!
The View Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Monument Valley
Miami, FL
“Average hotel - tourist ripoff”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I am sitting in my room at The View hotel, writing my review on my laptop. Unfortunately I will have to save it as a word document and post it when I get home because there is no internet service, except in the lobby. This is the type of experience you will have, in many aspects, if you stay here.

My traveling companion and I checked in on Thursday, June 13, for 2 nights. I paid a good deal of money for a “premium star view room” on the third floor. In its defense, I will first say that the room was nicely appointed, and clean, with amenities such as a fridge, microwave and small coffee maker. There was also very nice art on the walls of the room. I’m not sure what the big deal is about the third floor. Once on our balcony, we DID have a great view (the whole point of this place) but could not really figure out why the third floor was so much better. The balcony had a roof, which obscured the stars as much as a roof on a lower floor would have. Marketing ploy to get more money? Very likely. Oh, and the fridge was not cooling when we arrived. We called the front desk and maintenance came within 5 minutes and cheerfully fixed it.

I guess the real problems I have with this place are its poor design and inconsiderate management. I will start with the design. Our room was number 326, on the far end of the hotel. The problem is that the stairwell for guests is at the other end of the building. There is a big sign on the stairwell on our end, stating “fire stairs ONLY”. So, we had to schlep all of our luggage to the other end of the building (during a blinding sandstorm) just to check in. Oh, be aware of the constantly blowing sand. Of course it’s not the hotel’s fault. Just be prepared! Once we checked in, we realized that the only elevator for the entire place was also on the other end of the hotel. Whenever we had to go anywhere – to our car, to the lobby – we had to walk down a long corridor just to get to the stairs or the elevator. VERY inconvenient, and very poorly planned. Also, while the interior of the hotel is pretty nice, the exterior is very plain and industrial-looking. It looks like a big warehouse when approaching it. Not inviting at all. The nicest employee I met during my entire stay was our housekeeper. I didn't get her name but she had blonde hair.

The restaurant. Wow. I know they have a “captive audience”, and they make the most of it. The service is really quite efficient. Our waitress on the first night, Amanda, was very punctual and “on the ball”. We ordered the house “specialties”, green chili stew (with chicken) and the mutton stew. They were served with huge gobs of “fried bread”. While it was pretty tasty, the presentation was really quite awful. The stews looked as if someone had barfed in the bowls and the pieces of bread on the side of the plate were HUGE. We didn’t eat all of the bread; there was just too much. It would have been nice to have a glass of wine with dinner, but this is a “dry” hotel. Good thing we picked some up on the way to the hotel. We knew about this (thanks to Trip Advisor!) and had wine in our room. The net morning I went down to the restaurant. Bu the way, it doesn’t open until 7 AM, so for early risers (like myself) there is nothing for you except for the in-room coffee. I saw a lot of people walking around but I guess the management decided that 7 AM is early enough for them. I had a $5.00 “breakfast voucher” we got upon check-in. I don’t eat breakfast; I only drink coffee in the morning. I asked the girl at the front if I could simply order a cup of coffee to go, and use the voucher for that. The answer was “no”. I guess the hotel management would prefer that I order a bunch of food, with coffee, throw the food away, and keep the coffee. That just does not make sense. The hostess was apologetic, and said it was a “management decision”. So I paid for a cup of coffee (to go) with cash. My breakfast voucher remains unused. The second night, we were smarter about our ordering. I got the soup & salad bar (just fine) and my friend got the quarter-chicken special. The waitress, Pam, was very sweet but I think she was “in the weeds” because we literally had to wait 15-20 minutes for her to bring the check. I was just about to go to the cashier and have her flag down Pam, but she finally made it out onto the floor.

I know that the whole point of coming here is to “get away from it all” and enjoy the view from the room. We did just that. But, for $300 a night (and that is a lot), I don’t want to have to walk through a sandstorm just to get to my room, or go to the lobby to use the internet, or pay more for a cup of coffee that I would for a full breakfast. It is really obvious they are here simply to make money – not to cater to the guest’s needs. I will take a lot of photographs because I will never return.

One final note: Your cell phone wifi will not work either (unless you sit in the lobby). You can make and receive calls, but forget any kind of internet connection.

Consider yourself warned!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on a "star view room". ALL the rooms have a wonderful view of M...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
michigan
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The View Hotel is lives up to its name. Our room was on the third floor and had a spectacular view. The room was very clean as was the bathroom. The balcony is great for using your tripod. There are also great views outside at the viewing areas around the hotel. The restaurant was not impressive. The service was average at best and the food was overpriced. But most people are there for the view and that aspect of this venue is well worth it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We arrived here around 1PM and tried to check in several times, first being told it would be about 30 minutes, then an hour and finally after parking ourselves in the lobby with many others waiting, we were able to check in at 4PM (guaranteed check in time). That's fine, but wish they would have just been honest and said 4PM from the start so we didn't try returning to the front desk numerous times.

Of all of the hotels on our Grand Circle trip, this was the priciest. The room itself was clean and the beds were comfy. I understand charging a premium for the views, but for the price, I would have been much happier if I could have had wifi in our room.

Of course the views are gorgeous, and half the fun of staying here is just being able to sit on the deck and watch the sunset/sunrise over monument valley. I did enjoy that part but if I did this trip again I would just visit MV for the day and skip the hotel.

As a side note, we ate in the restaurant for lunch and dinner. We each had one meal there which caused us both enough discomfort (to put it nicely) to make us skip breakfast the next morning.

Room Tip: ground floor is fine (no need to pay extra for star view)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The room was spacious even though there was 2 queen size bed in the room. It was nice to stay within Monument Valley as we can just view the sunrise and sunset from our rooms.

The staff was helpful and has good service attitude, even though we were unable to check in early, the staff was able to provide us with the parking permit that allows us to get out of Monument Valley and entry without having to pay the entrance fees again.

There is only one restaurant in the hotel. We were pleasantly surprised by the dinner menu and the food was good. However, we cannot say the same for breakfast. It cost US$12. 95 for adult breakfast and US$9.95 for kids. Even though, the hotel gives each guest a US$5 voucher to offset the cost of breakfast, the variety and quality of food at the breakfast buffet was not worth it.

The room was clean, however, I found a bedbug on the bed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank joltt
Boonton, New Jersey
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I did a circle tour of National Parks in late April 2013. We were fortunate in encountering only fine weather and reasonably-sized crowds at all the sites. We went to Zion (Zion Lodge), Bryce (Best Western), Arches (Sunflower Hill), Monument Valley (The View), Grand Canyon (Maswik Lodge) and Hoover Dam (Silverton Hotel Las Vegas). I have comments on each park included in the hotel comment. As others suggest, try to get the very useful park newspaper/guide as soon as you enter the park. Also avoid buying gas near the parks (we paid $1 over the going rate at the Texaco in Tusayan outside the Grand Canyon).

The View hotel is strategically located overlooking some of the 1000 foot buttes which rightly make Monument Valley so famous. The rooms designated as ” Valley View” all have terraces and all have magnificent views. The 17 mile scenic drive around the buttes is quite impressive although the first mile or so is a bit disconcerting on the rutted rocky road. But it is well worth the bumpy ride since you come upon some really tremendous views. The restaurant in the hotel was good with reasonable prices and good service, a little surprising since the hotel room itself was definitely not cheap. If you driving to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon from Monument Valley, you will pass an awesome 1500 foot volcanic tower called El Capitan which commands the entrance to the valley.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mdunne603
Bedford, Indiana
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The views from the hotel are magnificent. Our room was very nice and clean. Be sure to rise before sunrise so you can see the sun coming up as it is well worth it! If wi-fi is important to you the lobby is the only place it's available. The only reason I can't give the hotel an excellent rating is the food in the restaurant. The service was very good but the quality of the food was lacking. We ate both dinner and breakfast there. The potatoes on the breakfast buffet were cold and the rest of the "hot" items were just OK thou the fresh fruit was very good. All in all a very good stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor might have even a better view thou all rooms had a view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Lovely hotel for 2 night stay at Monument Valley. Really a 4 star, but the views from the rooms, terraces and restaurant add the extra star. Well kept, very clean, friendly staff. restaurant is adequate, but average. Would definitely recommend staying here if in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monument Valley
#2 of 4 in Kayenta
Ticaboo Resort
Ticaboo Resort
#1 of 1 in Lake Powell

Been to The View Hotel? Share your experiences!