“STAY HERE its breath taking. Staff:AWKWARD,Unwelcoming & I felt I was a Burden to their Texting Time”
Review of The View Hotel

The View Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Monument Valley
Reviewed January 14, 2013

If you plan to stay to see Monument Valley STAY HERE! (Read more for STAFF DRAWBACKS) You will not regret it and the view from your room will literally take the wind out of your lungs the minute you walk to your balcony.
We're going to go back to this hotel ONLY. The rooms were clean, comfortable and appliances were perfect. The beds were soft mattresses and I didn't hear my next door neighbors (a big plus in my books.) We ate our dinner on our balcony as we watched the dusky mittens right in front of us. The day we arrived there was a sand storm so the picture-wise it was a poor day to take pictures but it gave the view a dusty mysterious look. (It snowed during the night so all the sand settled for a clear morning of taking pristine photos.

Here is my main quam. Although the staff in general were informative I felt like I was in a hotel ran by a high school. Everyone at the desk had to be under the age of 22 and they were all snooty and gave off a very unthankful vibe. I didn't see anyone offer any information that they didn't have too, if you ask you'll get a fake smile and a short answer. As we were taking our luggage to our room in the indoor hallways there were locals (of whom were workers) running up and down the hallway, seemingly playing tag?
I'm not sure if they have changed the location of the gift store or not but we could not find it! We accidentally ran upon. The gift shop service was no better. I handed her a coupon with my purchase and she sneered. I wanted to laugh but I was in fear I would get a sneer myself. She too was between 18-20 and when I paid for my purchase she didn't say "thank you" but turned her back to me, leaned on the counter and started texting. I felt as if my business and my stay was a burden on their social life.
In my opinion I would put up with the poor service all over again because the stay was worth it. I just wish the reservation would reconsider for new staff, staff that appreciates their job.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Adl2614

Reviewed January 13, 2013

A room at the View will set you back somewhere around $160-$300 a night depending on the season and the location of the room. That isn’t cheap by any stretch. I stayed a night at the View Hotel in April 2012 and I think it was totally worth it.

The View Hotel is next door to the Visitors Center in Monument Valley and every room faces the monuments and has a private balcony. My room wasn’t anything special but it was clean and nicely appointed. The room on the second floor was next door to my brother’s, we’re amateur photographers and we went wild at sunset. We sat on our balconies with cameras in hand shooting away. Sunset in Monument Valley has to be the most amazing lightshow on the planet. We then set our alarms to wake up before sunrise so we wouldn’t miss another lightshow in the morning as the sun rose behind the stone monuments. Those two shows alone were worth the price of admission.

We hail from the east coast, a part of the country condemned to perpetual light pollution. I have never seen a darker sky and brighter stars than in Monument Valley. The Hotel goes to great pain to be eco-friendly and uses low-wattage lights so as not to pollute the sky. I had the Starmap app on my iPad and put it to good use at the View. I held my iPad up to the night sky and let it identify the constellations, something I could do on my own way back when. I didn’t have so much fun since high school. The Star View rooms on the third floor are the best for stargazing, but they were sold out.

The hotel restaurant served breakfast, lunch and dinner with a mix of Navajo and American dishes. If memory serves, I had the Red Chili Posole for dinner and it was delicious. Unfortunately, no wine or beer may be served because the Navajo nation in which the View Hotel is located is a dry nation. Overall, I had a great experience at the View and wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank rusticpress
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed here in December 2011, all the rooms face towards the Valley. It was one of the best rooms we stayed in on our trip. We arrived at night and got up for sunrise which unfortunately never came due to the snow and cloud cover. However when we went for a walk around the Mitten we (and two local dogs) were the only people there, we had the whole area to ourselves and it was a wonderful experience. We got to see it from a different viewpoint rather than loads of other tourists about. Staff were friendly and plenty of facilities. Dinner was nice. Handy wi-fi in rooms

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VanessaB_107
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The hotel itself is average, but choices are slim for the area. Nothing fancy, but it's clean, comfortable, and provides everything you need. The location of the hotel is outstanding. We were there the last week of December and it was literally freezing outside and cloudy - so we weren't able to partake in any stargazing. However, the views from the hotel during the day are exceptional.

I recall struggling when making the reservation over which floor level to reserve. We ended up with first floor rooms and I'm glad we did due to the cloud cover. The valley view is the same from any floor.

The lobby area has WIFI and several guests were working away around the cozy fireplace. We ate at the restaurant for dinner and breakfast and it satisfied us on both occasions. Similar to the hotel, it's not fancy, but serves its purpose.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank kearz10
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This stylish hotel sits on a bluff overlooking the East and West Mitten formations, along with other spectacular Monument Valley scenery. The hotel has large numbers of visitors--many of them foreigners--and that is pretty impressive considering it is not readily accessible from major city centers like Las Vegas, Phoenix or Salt Lake City (we drove from Denver-about 500 miles). It is also difficult to book reservations because of its' year round popularity. The view from our room balcony treated us to a moonrise nightly which rose between the East and West Mittens; sunrise is equally impressive. The quietude and serenity have to be experienced to be appreciated. Room rates are pricey, $189.00 per weekday night, plus we paid for a top deck room for star gazing. Unfortunately, a full moon brilliantly illuminated the valley 'till the wee hours so we didn't see many stars. The property is within the Navajo Nation and is owned and operated by Navajo Nation. It is well maintained and the restaurant features southwestern Navajo cuisine which was interesting but somewhat bland. I can attest to a previous reviewers warning about the Navajo Taco--don't order the large one unless two or three of you want to share it! The staff is very friendly and very young and they try hard even if a sharp professional edge is somewhat lacking. A note to travelers: As mentioned, this is Navajo Nation land and alcohol sales are not permitted. You may discreetly have beer or wine in your room if you brought it with you, although you may not leave your room with it for hiking, picnics, etc. If you didn't bring any and wish to purchase it there is none for sale for miles and miles around. There is a questionable requirement of stopping at a gate a half mile or so from the hotel and paying an "admission" to the park. The toll booth is not open and manned 24/7, so presumably late arriving hotel guests drive right in without paying. There is a rough road loop you can drive although it is rough on standard cars. Back country park tours require a guide and there are scads of them for hire. These personalized tours are worth the money, as Monument Valley is a varied and beautiful place. It took us two or three attempts before securing a date we could get reservations, but we were not disappointed with the scenery and the accommodations. One additional note: there is a Burger King in Kayenta, Arizona, about 30 miles from Monument Valley. It is home to a very interesting collection of artifacts and displays about the famous Navajo Code Talkers who made history with the United States Marines in the Pacific in WWII.

Room Tip: All rooms face the valley. All rooms are no smoking and no pets allowed. Top floor rooms are premium...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank chinaclipper1
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Monument Valley itself deserves every positive adjective imaginable, but it was really a remarkable privilege to be able to stay in this lovely Navajo-owned and -run facility while visiting there. Given the terrible treatment that Native Americans, and the Navajo Nation in particular, have experienced historically, every visitor should feel honored to spend some time in this amazing place. Plus, proud to support such a thriving entrepreneurial endeavor!

Staff were incredibly hospitable and attentive, the room was large and spotless, bathrooms sparkled, and the food in the restaurant was great. Can't say we'll be lifelong converts to mutton stew, but it was fun to try this traditional Navajo dish and I'm still dreaming about the blue corn mush and fry bread. (Hey guys, you need to start selling these mixes in the gift shop!)

The runner in our family got a great challenge on the trails at 7,000 feet above sea level, the kids clambered all over the outdoor patio and played several games that the front desk will check out to you in the lobby, and with 3 kids crammed in our back seat, we still drove part of the recommended circuit into the valley. All we want is to go back for a longer visit.

The Navajo Nation is dry, and the View doesn't have a pool in consideration of their neighbors, many of whom still have to haul water from many miles away, but really, if you let these things stop you from planning a visit, you don't have the spirit to appreciate it anyway. :-)

Room Tip: you can't go wrong. they're not lying, literally every room has an incredible view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ALaurenWaits
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed here purely to wake up and see the sun rise over valley. Well I can tell you we weren't disappointed, one the most spectacular sunrises I have ever seen. Rooms functional and clean. Restaurant food was good and fairly priced. But just go for the views its worth every penny.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
#2 of 4 in Kayenta
The View Campground
The View Campground
#1 of 3 in Monument Valley

Been to The View Hotel? Share your experiences!