“The View!”

Copenhagen, Denmark
“The View!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed at The View Hotel for one night in July 2012

First of let me say that the name for this hotel is absolutely spot-on!
The view is simply amazing, and from what I could figure the view is the same for all of the rooms.
We stayed in a King Bed Suite - Premium Star View (which basically means it's on the top floor), but after looking at the lay-out of the hotel I wouldn't have paid the extra money for this room, as all of the rooms face the famous "Mittens", and get the exact same view, so save your money and just take a normal room.

The hotel lobby and surrounding area looked nice, but the room felt a bit dark and gloomy, and didn't look like a room in, what is still, a fairly new hotel.
But that doesn't really matter because you're not here to stay in your room, and if you just step out onto the balcony you quickly forget about everything else.

As an attachment to the hotel lies the visitor center, with a restaurant and souvenir shop.
The restaurant is decent, and what you would expect out in the middle of the desert in terms of quality. We didn't need a reservation when we stayed there.
There is also a little kiosk which sells the essentials like water/soda and snacks for your tour into Monument Valley.

If you stay in Monument Valley I highly recommend you take a guided tour into the back country and don't just stay on the loop road (which I wouldn't recommend you do in your own vehicle anyway as it is very bumpy and uneven). You do need a guide for this, but you can catch a tour at the visitors center or book one in advance online.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 19, 2012

If you are visiting Monument Valley then the best place to stay is The View Hotel. Although it is very expensive, it is a once of a lifetime experience to sit on your veranda with great view of the Mittens and Buttens. It was really bad that it was cloudy during sunrise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We spent three nights at this property and enjoyed every minute. Every room has a perfect view of Monument Valley from a private balcony with two chairs and a table, the perfect place to enjoy the views as the sun is setting in the valley. The dining room has excellent service and delicious meals however do not serve alcohol. That is not a problem because each room has a fridge and microwave. The hotel staff was very helpful in answering questions. This is an excellent location to tour the Navajo Tribal Park, enjoy the 17-mile drive, hike the Wild Cat Trail and enjoy tours offered by the Navajo people. Internet service is only available in the hotel lobby but that can be enjoyed sitting by the fire and looking at the views. Worth the cost and need to plan ahead! We'll be back!

Room Tip: No need to pay for an upper floor room because they all have the same east facing view with private...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I was fortunate to get a r0om at The View Hotel due to someone's last-minute cancellation. The views of Monument Valley from the hotel can hardly be believed. Every room has a balcony facing the famous "mittens" formations. I checked in in the late afternoon, had an early dinner at the excellent restaurant there, shopped at the native American gift store, and then headed to my room. I set up my camera and tripod on the balcony and watched and shot the sunset, the rise of a full moon, and the stars. Then got up early the next morning to see and shoot sunrise. I'll tell you, you won't even turn on the TV, the views from your very own private balcony are utterly spectacular. The staff was wonderful and helpful, the rooms large and comfortable, the food was very good and the gift shop was well-stocked with unique Native American wares. If you are going to be in the Monument Valley area you really cannot do better than The View Hotel, owned and operated by the Navajo Nation. I will definitely be going back there.

Room Tip: If you ant to do photgraphy ask for a premium view room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The View is undoubtedly the only place to stay when visiting Monument Valley but I have to agree with some of the other reviews, particularly williamsjd4 from Wales who I think is spot on with his comments. The views out over the mittens and the valley are spectacular but my rating is based on the hotel itself. We stayed for 2 nights in September and had a booked a starview room on the third floor and felt it was worth the extra - even although we did not see any stars because of the clouds on the first evening and then the thunderstorm on the second! The room was pretty much like a good Best Western although not as spacious as some. Check in was 4pm and we arrived just 10 minutes after 4 to be told that the room was not ready but they would immediately check it if we took a seat in the lobby to wait. 35 minutes later we were still waiting and when I went to the desk to check they realised that they had forgotten about us even although we were sitting in their view, and the room was ready after all. It was also my husband's 60th birthday while we stayed there and his sister had sent a congratulatory email to be passed on but he never received it. Apart from that we did find the staff friendly. I am afraid that we did not rate the restaurant at all. Our dinner on the first evening lasted 40minutes at the most and the food was pretty poor. So on the second evening we went to Gouldings which we thought was better. Breakfast also was pretty poor on the first morning due to lack or organisation and training but it did improve a bit on the second morning. There is so much potential that could be tapped it seems a shame that the restaurant just does not deliver. We went on a tour of the valley with a Navajo guide called Kurly who was very good. There were just the two of us on trip and it cost $165 for the two but I think it was worth it rather than going in a bigger group. The only drawback was that the tour company would only take cash, no cards. It was a beautiful morning but by afternoon the clouds were gathering and a wild sandstorm blew up followed by thunderclouds then rain and thunder and lightning which made for some spectacular photos.
I would recommend the hotel for a stay in Monument Valley just don't expect too much from the hotel - the prices reflect the view.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Patricia186487
Foxboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights at the View in Monument Valley. The hotel lived up to its name.
The scenery from our room was breathtaking. The rooms were clean and staff extemely friendly. The hotel dining room provides excellent breakfasts and dinner. I loved the ribs and the fried chicken was fantastic.

No better place to stay!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the View Hotel. The location is spectacular, as the name of the hotel says the View is incredible.
The staff is good and helpful. My room was clean, spacious and the bed was comfortable. The restaurant was good, I particularly enjoyed the selection of dishes that are both classic american and native americans.
My only complain about this hotel was the wifi that was extremely weak. The further the room is from the lobby the worst the connection is.
Other than that i strongly recommend this hotel to anybody that is going to Monument Valley.

Room Tip: The room with the view are a little more expansive but really really worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
#2 of 4 in Kayenta
Ticaboo Resort
Ticaboo Resort
#1 of 1 in Lake Powell

Been to The View Hotel? Share your experiences!