“Unimpressed !”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Monticello
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Unimpressed !”
Reviewed November 7, 2011

While the outside seemed tidy and the room was clean, I was terribly disappointed that the heater's thermostat was broken. So it was either on or off; you were cold or hot and constantly getting up to turn it on or off! I asked if they had TV and the answer was, 'Of course'. There were no ABC, NBC or CBS channels, so don't expect to get anything much of interest. There was a microwave and frig, but that didn't out-weigh the inconvience of the heater and TV. There was no coffee, shampoo; was an ice machine along with soda vending machine. Could have been coffee in the lobby, but it was locked when I left just after 8AM. The bed was comfortable, but I'd never stay there again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I was looking for a small, quiet motel, but made a big mistake with this one.

Room Tip: If I had had the opportunity to talk to the manager/owner before I left, I would have told him not t...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Karen G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, UK
Reviewed June 24, 2011

This review (it starts after the dashed lines below if you want to straight to it) is part of a 'set' of hotels/motels/attractions I stayed in/experienced whilst touring the region in and around southern Utah, aiming to visit the fantastic National Parks there, by hire car in May 2011.

I have created an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' which details the numerous significant attractions I visited/the places I stayed in enroute and includes a tour map and (hopefully) lots of helpful information/Internet/Trip Advisor links.

Trip Advisor haven't (yet ?) properly integrated it for direct access: to get to it you start by doing the required action to see my individual TA reviews/photos/videos (which I hope you will !) by mouse-clicking my profile 'name' located in the top-left corner of this review, below my profile picture of the Giza Pyramids, then mouse-clicking the blue 'Reviews' link from the resulting pop-up window. As well now being able to see my reviews, you can then access my Trip List by looking in the left-hand 'Contributions list (there you can also see my photos/videos direct) and select 'Trip List' - it is entitled 'Las Vegas + South Utah National Parks + Monument Valley, Arizona - May 2011'; click the title link and away you go - easy, NOT ! (TA admin please note !)

For accommodation my price range was $50-$60incl/night (occasionally up to $90incl due to local 'inflation'), for non-smoking rooms in establishments which were best located for visiting the nearby venue (sometimes for several days), that were TA reviewed as quiet/clean and should be well-equipped (eg fridge, wi-fi); I was not too bothered about what eateries etc were in the local area, nor if there were things like a swimming pool, as my days were maximised for visiting the associated National Park/hiking etc, the room being used to reflect on the day/'unwind'/sleep in !

-------------

I arrived at the Canyonlands Motel after an enjoyable day visiting Monument Valley/Goosenecks SP on my way to a planned visit of the 'Needles' district of Canyonlands NP the next day. On the strength of TA reviews which largely rate all the places in Monticello (a non-descript town sitting astride the busy highway 191) the same, as usual for a stopover I went for value and reserved a room at Canyonlands Motor Inn via their website sometime before ($55incl/night for single/queen-bed). Whilst checking-in the helpful and pleasant lady at reception agreed to my request for a room at the back; it didn't cost any extra, despite having twin-beds - otherwise I think my room would have been in the front section, vulnerable to noise from traffic on the adjacent highway which runs through the town.

Armed with my room key and the handy 2-sided information sheet listing the cable-TV channels/local eateries (why can't all places provide such info ? I've got better things to do than flick through some 99 TV channels of, mostly, absolute rubbish !) I moved onwards to see that the motel wasn't busy, but parking space was unlikely to ever be a problem.

First impressions of the room were OK; it was large/clean with all the advertised in-room facilities (eg TV, fridge, microwave) - on entering I did detect a slight 'pong' of some kind of air/carpet freshener, but after just a few minutes it had gone (if it were bad I would have been irritated by it, so it must have been relatively innocuous as I have sensitive senses !). I did quickly spot that some of the furniture/fittings were a bit dated but everything was perfectly functional. There were also a couple of wall 'blemishes', but they were nothing significant and soon not noticed as my eyes were either fixed on my notebook using the motel wi-fi, the other more modern appliances/TV or the inside of my eyelids as I slept on the comfy bed; no bed bugs (I have never had them in ANY bed in ANY hotel and am of the opinion that reviews which mention them are malicious !).

Like most cheaper motels no breakfast was supplied in the morning but you could get freshly made coffee from reception.

And that's it ! Whilst mostly unremarkable, the Canyonlands Motel does not disappoint as somewhere to be used as a stopover enroute to/from the Canyonlands region. By now the 7th place I'd stayed at on my touring, I can say that the nightly cost was slightly lower than the norm for this kind of place but with above-average room facilities. Whilst the room itself was not pristine, it was clean, noise-free and perfectly liveable-in; no complaints from me !

Room Tip: At the back.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
florida
Reviewed June 19, 2011

i booked this hotel because it was a last minute stop heading to the grand canyon. the hotel like before smelt like moth balls. the rooms looked from the 80's but the manager was super nice. had fridge, tv was old school and bathroom was hilarious. it had a timer/sauna from the 80s. relatively quite since its on the main highway

Room Tip: take febreeze, air out your room prior to sleeping
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank carmenh12

Travelers are raving about these Monticello hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I guess you get what you pay for... the only good thing -- the owner/receptionist lady was nice. The room smelled (mold?) and looked very old and run down. The stairwell to the second floor was dirty. It was hard to carry suitcases up to the second floor because the doors were hard to open and too close to the stairs. The hotel looks ugly form the outside.
we didn't dare check the swimming pool.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bigmatilda
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2010

This place was great, it was clean and cheap. The manager was fantastic and they provided us nice big room in the back. It was clean and the beds were brand new. My wife and I have not had a good nights rest like that for months. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 29, 2008

After a long day on the road we stayed here. I wondered why there were no other cars inthe parking lot. We opened the door to our room and were hit with the overpowering smell of air freshener, which evaporated after we left the room door and window open for over 3 hours with the air conditioner on full blast. Had a spider on my bed, however the sheets were clean, I woke up with no bites on me. The bathroom was clean and had been repainted. The carpeting in the unit was stained as was the upholstry on the two "easy" chairs actually cheap office chairs next to the rusted air conditioner. The furniture is vintage mid 70s heavy fake mediterranean, swag lamps etc. The price was inexpensive. Close to the little cafe Peace Tree which we enjoyed.

• Liked — Clean bathroom
  • Disliked — Overpowering air freshener, soiled floor and chairs
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Roadrunnergo
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Okay place. If you are going looking for a 4 star motel this isn't the place but the rooms are clean and great for an overnight stop.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monticello
The Monticello Inn
#5 of 7 in Blanding
Stone Lizard Lodging
Stone Lizard Lodging
#1 of 7 in Blanding

Been to Canyonlands Motor Inn? Share your experiences!