“OK”
Review of The Monticello Inn

The Monticello Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Monticello
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is an ok hotel. It is older inside and out. The bed was comfortable but very low to the floor. The bed and bathroom were very clean but the carpet was very stained. We even put on shoes at night to use the bathroom. There was no breakfast.

1  Thank 195flying
kandycane01, Manager at The Monticello Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to fill out the review on TripAdvisor. We are sorry you felt the floors were dirty..we try to clean them as often as possible, and stains we try to catch right when they happen. If you could email me which room you were in it would really help me narrow down which floor we really need to focus on first as we are cleaning our carpets this week, due to fall and winter track in from rain and snow, which can make any carpet look haggard. I would really appreciate if you could take the time and if you can remember..its been awhile. Thank you for staying with us and we hope your travels are always wonderful!

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Kind of dumpy motel, not very clean. We found it amazing that a town this close to so many attractions doesn't have a decent place to stay and virtually no restaurants. We thought about doing more hiking in Canyonlands National Park, but didn't want to stay in or around Monticello, so we left! What a shame! A golden opportunity for someone to open a quality motel with a decent restaurant!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
kandycane01, Manager at The Monticello Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our motel and our town. I am very sorry that we did not go above and beyond your expectations as we strive to do daily. I do not know the reason behind saying the motel was in your words " dumpy and not very clean." If you could email me specifics I will try my hardest to resolve any issues we may have on the property that would make you think that. As far as having a better motel/hotel in the area we have plenty of choices and in differing price ranges. We have some that offer more amenities then ours and is a newer version, but of course the difference in price will probably be $20-$100 or more a night then our little motel. The reason we can keep our prices so low for the area is we only have three people on staff, my father in law is the maintenance man and helps with anything else that may be needed, Jerri our amazing housekeeper who cleans the rooms better then any housekeeper I've met, and of course myself, the onsite manager who works from early morning(7am) to early morning(1am or later) doing laundry, check ins and pretty much anything and everything else. We are lucky to have even a full day off a week in high season, and pour our heart and soul into this place. As far as restaurants we have a ton of options for our little town, and in different price ranges as well. Just to name a few MD Ranch Cookhouse, PJ's, R&F Cafe, Peacetree Cafe, Thatza Pizza delivery, Taco Time, Subway and two wonderful food trucks that serve either fresh Mexican or Brazilian food. I am sorry we did not point these out for you when you were here, we normally do for our guests. Our town has a population of approximately 2,500 people and we LOVE our area! It is a difficult life having to drive an hour and 20minutes to Walmart or 3 hours to be in a large city for shopping, so keeping open a business here is very difficult and very expensive. I really believe if you understood the area better you may have a different view on it. I will be happy to send you or anyone for that matter our history from here which is an amazing story of hardships and trials for the settlers and the people who survive in this area now. We are NOT Moab in anyway shape or form, nor do we want to be. We like our peace and solitude, and the natural and beautiful wonders right outside our doors. As far as a "Golden Opportunity" goes, our other property Blue Mountain Horsehead Inn is for sale, and if you would like to partake in the Golden Opportunity please contact me and let me know and I will help you learn the ins and outs of it all. I hope your future travels are amazing and I do hope you get to come back to our wonderful area and enjoy its beauty and history! Respectfully Yours, Candace-on site manager

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Well, to avoid paying the extortionate rates in Tuba City, we opted for a night in Flagstaff, with an early dash north, to end up in Monticello.
Passed through here 4 years earlier from Colorado to see name changed. Rate offered was good enough, but had time to compare. Tried 1 other, same rate offered, but was on the main highway, so we shopped at the store on the junction and took the room. A nice facility well equipped with microwave/fridge. Take a look around the town, it doesn't take long, wild deer roaming, nice LDS temple.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
kandycane01, Manager at The Monticello Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We really appreciate it! We love our little town that can and hope that others get the chance to experience the beauty here as well. We hope the next time you pass through you would consider staying with us again, and let us know what we can do better to make you more comfortable. Thank you again for the review and have wonderful travels!

Candace -onsite manager

Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Let me start by saying this motel isn't the Hilton Gardens BUT it has a few things the mega properties lack. On site owners who care about their property, very clean and comfortable rooms, quiet and most of all its location. Yes the place is old and doesn't have flat screen TVs but it does have a coffee pot and a mini fridge. I will take clean comfortable with nice staff all day long. So if your looking to waste a bunch of money and feel special go stay in Moab but if you want a nice little place stay here

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for writing a review and such a wonderful one at that! We really appreciate it! You are right in saying we are not the Hilton Gardens and we are not priced high but we do try to provide a great service at reasonable prices and a clean room for our customers to feel comfortable sleeping in. We aren't fancy in the least bit, but since this is my home too I feel it is a wonderful place to stay in the area. Thank you for saying your kind comments..it really does make my day to know that our hard work is not in vain. Next time you are in town let me know and I will give you a room that has a flat screen tv, we do have a couple right now and are working on setting up more of them. Happy travels to you and yours!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I highly recommend the Monticello Inn! It is clean, reasonable rates, quite & you can't beat the customer service of this nice family run motel!
We hope there is a room avaiaible on our return trip home, because we will be staying here!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
kandycane01, Manager at The Monticello Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

We absolutely love to have return customers and if you get to stay here again on your trip back home let me know and we will give you a little discount. Thank you for all your nice comments and we hope that your next stay with us is even better then the last! Have a wonderful trip and come back anytime!

Candace-onsite manager

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Your good old-fashioned motel like the old days! Park right in front of your door and a nice clean comfortable room with actual tile in the shower! Candace is very friendly and helpful and it is a dog-friendly motel, and the "dog rooms" were fresh and didn't smell like other dog rooms I've had to stay in. There is a computer to use in the lobby, so that was nice. Brochures of area sights are right there. I would definitely stay here again if I ever pass through Monticello again.

Room Tip: Pizza at the Wagon Wheel is delicious!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank hikerbecky

Thank you for the kind review! We love pets and are very happy to have accommodations for you and your furry friends. We try very hard to make sure even our pet rooms are very clean and comfortable. Thank you for taking the time to write this review, as I have stated before we know how busy life is and for you to have the time to write that is wonderful!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Be very aware of the terms and conditions if you are booking this motel. In particular, it says "If you book and are overbooked due to a flooding of bookings in one night, we have a second motel which we will refer you to. If you choose to not stay there you will not be charged, if you choose to take the room at the other motel, you will be charged the full price quoted unless the same type of room is not available."

We booked a room online (directly with the motel, not via an agent). The confirmation said that the room had a fridge. The website says that 'our rooms include Mini-Fridge'. We checked in, unloaded the car (in the rain) and then looked for the fridge. There wasn't one.

Front desk explained that there wasn't enough power to run a fridge and tried to blame it on hotels.com allocating us the wrong room. But we hadn't used hotels.com - we'd booked direct. There wasn't an alternative room with a fridge so we were sent elsewhere. But the sign still said fridges, and implied that there were vacancies, so maybe ours was not the only room without a fridge.

So we loaded up the car in the rain and went to the Blue Mountain Horsehead Inn. The advertised price was less than we had already paid at Monticello. But we'd paid on a foreign currency credit card so cancelling the original charge and paying the new one would just give more currency exchange fees to mastercard.

I can't decide whether I'm over-reacting due to getting wet lugging bags in and out of the car. The T & Cs seem to say that a definite booking is no such thing. Presumably the second motel could also be full. The whole thing makes me suspicious of a 'bait and switch' operation.

Having said all that, I was perfectly satisfied with the room we eventually got.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

I am very sorry that you felt like we took advantage of your situation. We would never intentionally just move you over to our other property unless for some reason it was necessary and only because we would want you to feel that we are trying to take the best care of you personally. We hope that your stay there was comfortable, and I am truly sorry about the weather at the time of the move. We hope that the rest of your trip was wonderful, and we are sorry about the hiccup here. Our policies are only in place to help and serve you the customer, and again I apologize that you felt that did not happen.

Candace-on site manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monticello
Inn at the Canyons
#5 of 7 in Blanding
Canyonlands Motor Inn
Canyonlands Motor Inn
#4 of 6 in Monticello

Been to The Monticello Inn? Share your experiences!