“A good value, clean & quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Monticello Inn

The Monticello Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Monticello
Michigan
“A good value, clean & quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Headed to Moab? Stay here instead. You'll save money, and get a good night's sleep.

This is an old "Mom-n-Pop" motel, so don't expect AAA Five Diamonds or the like. What you WILL get is a good room, very clean, and a good night's sleep for a decent price. What more do you really need? It's not like Monticello's a resort town, so you'll probably just be in-n-out. Why pay more for that? Pull up to your door, toss your bags in the room, and relax.

It's family run, by the same family that's owned it forever. It's clean, and the shower was great. They thought to put those extenders on, which lift the head up higher. For me at 6'3", that's a godsend. When the shower steamed up, I could see wipe marks all the way up the tile enclosure. That tells me that they cleaned it top to bottom, and I like the thought of that.

Everything worked in the room, and the bed was comfortable, the place was quiet. Just a block over is a gas station/C store, so if you need some snacks or drinks, it's really handy.

If I pass through Monticello (or near Moab) again, this is exactly where I'll stay. Thanks, "Kandycane", for a restful stay. :-)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roadside_US
kandycane01, Manager at The Monticello Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for this awesome response to our family owned motel. We know how busy life is, and so we truly appreciate you taking the time to review us! We are glad you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable for you, and that the price was a good value! Like you said, we are not a five star resort, but we do the very best we can with what we got and we love it! Thank you again!
KandyCane01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

This motel was good value, better than much more expensive Moab on a weekend. And the Needles Overlook between Moab and Monticello is one of thenmost amazing thingsmwe have evernseen. This motelis also really well placed for the Needles Canyolands Park. Not much around it , but the garage across the road has good value food. The room was clean and good value, felt safe. Very friendly staff, slow computer for guest use at reception.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
kandycane01, Manager at The Monticello Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As anyone knows it takes extra time out of your day that would normally already be spent on other things. So we really appreciate it. Thank you for the kind statements, and just to let you know, we have upgraded the wifi and front office computer system. Hopefully this will keep the speed of everything moving smoothly! We also found out our modem was slowly dying and had the phone company replace it once it died on us. That would probably be why the signal was so low, and the front desk computer was slow. So one step at a time we are trying to make your stay a better one for you! Thank you again, and happy travels!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

We were only here one evening. The room was clean and comfortable. Our wi-fi service was spotty. The staff was helpful and nice. Our only problem is that the walls really are thin and you can hear everything in the next rooms.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at The Monticello Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we truly do appreciate the feedback! We apologize for any noise you may hear through the walls. This motel was built in the 1950's and so our best sound insulated rooms are the newer (1980's) wing which houses the two queen rooms. We are hoping to be able to put some new drywall and insulation in the older wing this winter if the snow days stay at bay, to help with the soundproofing. So we hope you come and try us out again next summer and see all the changes we are making to make your stay more comfortable! We hope that you had a wonderful trip and we wish happy travels to you in the future!
Sebastopol, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Booked this lodging well in advance, the day prior to our arrival we had to make a last minute change to our reservation dates, staff was most helpful in accomodating our change, in fact in our two day stay we had contact with 3 different staff members, all provided the same level of excellent service. Very nice Family Restaurant right across the street. We'll definitely be back for more of South Eastern Utah and all it has to offer, and would not hesitate in staying at the Monticello Inn again. Easy access to Canyonlands National Park :~))))))

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at The Monticello Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review in this busy world! We are so happy you enjoyed our beautiful area we live in! We love it and we hope others do too! I hope your travels are wonderful no matter where in the world you go!
Oakley, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

The staff was really friendly. The kept the pool open late just for us. The room was clean, but the air conditioner wss loud and a little outdated. Also the price was a little high. Otherwise it was a really good place.

• Stayed June 2012
Decatur, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

I booked this motel as it was the only one available near Moab, Utah, our destination. I paid $110.00 a night. For what I got, that was a ridiculous price.

The motel is old, one of the court-type motels built in the 50's from the look of it. I arrived late in the day and just wanted to get in and lie down. I was given a room key by the front desk person and went to the room only to find it looked like it was still occupied, bed not made, lights on. Went back to the desk, was given another room with the explanation that the maid must not have got to it yet. It was 8:00 at night!

Got into the room. Cigarette burn in the carpet, old TV with limited reception. Old sink area, Kleenex bag (bargain type from Kmart like diaper wipes in soft-sided bag thing) on the floor under the sink as the holder broke long ago. Shower walls looked new, shower head looked old and dirty so i didn't take a chance on taking one. Biggest shock in toilet/shower room - the toilet seat was so old, it was gray and chipped, looked like it had been scrubbed, painted and scrubbed again. Big dings in it also. Come on, really? How much is a new toilet seat at Kmart anyway, like $10.00?

Air conditioner in window was newer and worked well - blew up the curtains over it so I had to find heavy stuff to put against them to keep them still.

For the amount of money I paid, this room was a joke. I would never stay there again.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mkhmn
kandycane01, Manager at The Monticello Inn, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
We do appreciate your comments and we take all comments positive or negative into consideration.
I am very sorry that when you checked in the room that we had given you was in a mess, I researched it after you left, since it rarely happens, and i found that it was a miscommunication between my housecleaner and I. I believe what I said, was that I was completely shocked that it had not been done and immediately gave you another room.

I do feel that alot of your comments are a very large misrepresentation of our rooms as I go in myself to check them daily, and I know for a fact that there are no "cigarette" burns in my carpets. We have new flooring and it is very clean and free of debris or stains. As far as the toilet seat goes we are working on replacing them, a couple of rooms at a time. We ordered in the seat covers that are made for these specific size of toilets and are made out of a sturdier material for more use. I would not expect anyone to know that, but I did want to explain anything that might help you understand. We have to try to get them changed out in between doing other maintenance and before the next guest arrives.

It really does make us feel horrible when a guest is unhappy, and had you mentioned anything to us we would do everything in our power including a partial refund to make your stay more pleasant. We truly want you to be happy. We are a small motel and we dont have all the extra fluff other bigger chains may have, but we are clean and our prices are reasonable. We have a few times a year where we raise our rates to be able to compete and not undercut the other hotels and motels in the area. Moab is anywhere from $150.00 and up so even at $110.00 we are well below the going rate, especially online.

I do hope that next time you come to our area you find a nice place to stay as there are other wonderful, family owned and run hotels and motels in our town, but of course you would be welcomed back here as well with the hope that you would allow us to serve you better. Happy travels to you and your family!

Travelers are raving about these Monticello hotels

Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

We were foolish enough to arrive in Moab without reservations and the visitors bureau told us we could find lodging about 50 miles south in Monticello. Indeed, there were still rooms available at the Monticello Inn and we were glad to occupy one.

First let me say that the owners do the best they can with this very old property, which must have been built by the Anasazi. It can't be easy making a living in a little crossroads town like Monticello, so I wish them the best.

Unfortunately, it's not practical to upgrade everything. The bathrooms are very small with no counter for the ladies to lay out their toiletries, just a free standing sink. On the good side, the nicely tiled shower stall was quite colorful!

The heating/cooling system was primitive. There was a radiator under the window and a very old and loud A/C unit above one of the beds. The mattresses were adequate for a good night's sleep. The old single pane aluminum window would not stay open for ventilation. We used the plastic ice bucket to prop it up. BTW, they do have an excellent ice machine!

Fortunately, the place was dead quiet all night in spite of being full. I don't think anyone comes here to party!

If you have to stay here, don't panic, it isn't as bad as it looks.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
kandycane01, Manager at The Monticello Inn, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
First of all thank you for your honest comments, we truly do appreciate people taking the time to go onto trip advisor and tell other people about their experiences. We are sorry that you felt the place was built by the Anasazis. Fortuanately for us it was actually a real piece of Monticello, Utah history and was built in the 1950's and since then has had another newer wing added to it and numerous upgrades to the insides and outside of the motel. We love our little motel that can! We are a small family owned motel with limited funds, unlike the big name hotels in Moab, Utah and we actually live here. As you said however you can't change the sizes of the bathrooms, or the fact that when it was built it didnt come with central air. Our heating system for this area is actually really good, old, but good. A slow heat system with no noise whatsoever and keeps the rooms toasty in the winter time, which in this area is a big bonus! Believe me, come in the winter and you will appreciate our slow heat wall heaters. I am sorry to hear your window would not stay open, if you email me I will immediately check into getting that fixed. We are very serious about keeping this motel in tip top shape. I guess when it all comes down to it, it is a matter of what you are really looking for in a motel/hotel experience. We are a clean, well kept, friendly, local, unique, quiet place to lay your head and relax after a long day of hiking or other activities. We do not try to be anything but what we are. A good old fashioned small town American owned place to stay. Hope your travels bring you to wonderful places and better experiences!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monticello
Canyonlands Lodging
#7 of 7 in Monticello
Four Corners Inn
Four Corners Inn
#5 of 7 in Blanding

Been to The Monticello Inn? Share your experiences!