“Might be nice but wouldn't let us stay ...”
Review of Runnin' Iron Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monticello
Runnin' Iron Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Monticello B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 14, 2011

We think this is probably an interesting place to stay. It certainly looked fascinating. Sadly, the management is a bit strange and we didn't get to stay as we had hoped for two nights. We had picked it specifically for its proximity to the Canyonlands Needles District - closest lodging by far.

Arriving at 11 p.m. as planned, we were greeted by a note that we would have to find another room. Hmm, strange customer service. Never encountered that one before.

Knowing in advance we would be arriving late, we talked to the manager who gave us explicit on finding our room and just asked us to be quiet and not disturb the other guests. There was no effort whatsoever to assist us with our rooms there, despite the advance arrangements.

The good news is that the manager did ultimately agree to get us a room in Monticello and we were introduced (again) to the Grist Mill Inn which was fantastic.

I suspect this place is interesting and fun, and we heard great reviews of the steakhouse. But definitely go there with an open mind and pay close attention to the rules. This is not a typical hotel, which might be a big plus. Sadly, we didn't get to experience it and we will definitely not go back.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 8, 2011

We stayed one night and ate dinner there. The rib eye steak was huge and absolutley great quality! My husband had the orange-maple salmon with pecans and said it was the best he'd ever had. The salad, the garlic toast, the beans, the mushrooms, pickled asparagus, potatoes, the friendly service... everything was superb! The best! Everyone there was just so friendly, happy, and helpful. It was comfy like home except we were catered to for everything. We might just drive there (about 400 miles) for supper alone! And they saved our leftover food in the fridge for us... it was just as good for breakfast! The rooms are basic but so clean and comfortable. There is no phone, TV, hairdryer in the room so be prepared. The Inn has lots of character, antiques, bear skins, pottery, traps, mining things, saddles, old west stuff. It's a great place and a definite go back to!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SunCitySojourners
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Found this wonderful western experience on Tripadvisor and I was not disappointed. The owners, Bob and Jane, are delightful people who strive to make your time with them special. The rooms are rustic but meticulously clean. This is not an inn as much as an invitation to stay at a friends home. Maybe you have to be mature to not be upset with a lack of a TV, hair dryer, or designer shampoos in your room but then you would miss a world class experience. We came on a Sunday and had made a dinner reservation at their beautiful restaurant and found that they usually didn't cook on Sundays. We felt quilty about the mix up but Bob insisted on cooking just for us (and Jane). The evening was truly magical and my wife and I will remember it our entire lives.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DrGary105
Reviewed April 14, 2011

My wife and boys stayed here for about 3-4 days and enjoyed every minute! My wife and I ate at the steakhouse with my in-laws and enjoyed the food and western humour of Bob (owner)...
Everyone should meet Bob because he's such a funny character!

This place was a perfect place to go on day expeditions to Canyonlands National Park, Moab, Arches National Park, Monticello, and Devil's Canyon without being surrounded by touristy time-wasters (this is nature at it's finest!).

All services are offered in Monticello without dealing with the congested traffic in Moab.

The Runnin' Iron Inn is also the Linecamp Steakhouse and the Roughlock R.V. Park all rolled into one. They offer accomidations from a single room, a family size Lodge, or R.V. / Tents.

We plan on going back and are excited to visit more of the beautiful canyons and hike this amazing area! Totally worth it! -G.

Room Tip: Call ahead and talk with Jane or Bob.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank GVEARL
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Stayed here after reading reviews on Trip Advisor - what a great spot! We had a lovely room with big bed and private balcony. Restaurant was A+. We stayed one night, and both of us enjoyed a big ribsteak dinner - total bill for bed and board was a little over $130. Wish we had planned to stay more than one night.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EasyWalker
Reviewed August 15, 2010

They only want $59 a night for this? Wow!

Having been to some grotty places on road trips in the US, the Runnin Iron Inn was like an oasis. The welcome could not have been better and we got some great travel advice which we took the next day (we were too tired to go out again that day).

Our room was very clean, brimming with character and had a lovely balcony. There were no toiletries as you might expect in an inn, so make sure you have shampoo at least. The bed was a little too soft and springy for my liking, so I was a bit stiff in the morning, but I did sleep soundly for 9 hours!

We also had steak in the restaurant and I would recommend buying a bottle of wine as there is no corkage to open it and beers are pricey at $3-4 per bottle. Steak was good, but if you don't like pepper do say beforehand. The steak is served with an excellent salad and tasty garlic bread.

They accept credit cards, but not Amex (rates are sky high for them apparently).

1  Thank masaccio
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I am sitting in my room at the Runnin' Iron Inn as I type this review. My tummy is conforatbly full with one of the best STeaks I've had in a long time (the Ribeye). That may not mean much to you, but I'm a 5th generation Texan, and you don't find many steaks cooked and seasoned to perfection like the one I just ate. Now, this is a hotel review; so here goes. It is excellent!

I travel 75% of my life, mostly for business, but this is a real treat for me. Bob (the proprietor and Chief cook, concierge, hotel owner and entertainment) takes such pride in everything he does. The rooms are quaint and clean. The decor is rustic (if you are expecting the Ritz Carlton for interior design, you'll probably not be satidfied anywhere around here) and well kempt.

It is funny; the website is canyonlandsbestkeptsecret dot com, but I want to tell everybody about the place.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family