“Not for the shy”
Review of Mystic hot Springs

Mystic hot Springs
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Monroe
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This place is not for people who enjoy a hotel with room service and people who bow down to your ever so stupid requests.
But for people looking for a good time, with good friends in an alcohol and violence free environment, MHS is the perfect place. You don't even need to rent one of the hippie buses, it's plenty of an experience enough just to look at the perfection of its build. And the hot springs, well, be prepared for a life changing time.

1  Thank TobiasJohannesen
in 9 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed June 5, 2013

That's really my best response for this place. It is eclectic, unique, and full of potential. Unfortunately, it is lacking a lot of motivation and direction. And almost nothing is complete. And that's part of what makes it a little frustrating - it has SO MUCH potential, but instead, you look at broken junk and unlivable houses and unfinished cabins (you can't make money on them if you can't have people spend the night in them...) and unusable stuff EVERYWHERE. I do highly recommend you have your tetanus booster before you arrive. There are lots of rusted sharp dangerous rotten metal pieces everywhere, including the "handrails" around the pools.

I know I read the pools get regular cleaning, but .... I don't think so. When everything else looks like it hasn't been touched in years, it is very difficult for me to believe the bathtubs have been cleaned this month, let alone daily. And the sock stuck in the drain hole? Gross.

Did I mention how much potential this place has? So much so that it is almost heartbreaking. You could power a small turbine with all that water flowing downhill. Eh, maybe next year. Or the year after.

The cabin we stayed in was cool. Rustic and old, but very cool. There are like 10 more historic (re: old) cabins on the site that are not done. Get them done! Guests would LOVE to stay in them! The buses are really cool also, but not tall enough for me to stand up in (I'm 6'2), and therefore right out. I hate bending over and ducking my head, especially after relaxing my neck and back in hot springs.

Did I mention how much unused potential this place has? Such a shame, because the water is hot and there is a lot of it (200 gallons a minute at 160F). If you close your eyes or look at the sky or the mineral deposits and don't think about when the pools were last cleaned, you can almost relax and enjoy yourself....

6  Thank JeremyHakes
Reviewed May 11, 2013

It does feel like you are driving through a rundown trailer park as you drive in and I have to say that I was fairly reluctant to stay. I am glad that we did stay and enjoyed the two large pools, one which was bathtub warm and the other which was hot tub temperature. Both were very relaxing. There are tubs higher up the mountain which I did not use but I can imagine it would also be very relaxing and oh, what a view up there! The cabins do have great beds and sheets, the buses looked like they would be fun to stay in also. I think they are trying to improve the surroundings and wish them success in that as it does somewhat take away from the serenity to see the disrepair (to me anyway). As has been stated previously, do not stay here if you are looking for luxury or resort quality.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The cabins are real pioneer cabins - with great beds and clean linens. The buses are so fun to stay in! They are decorated charmingly, also have very comfy beds and great sheets. The heaters keep them very warm in the winter. I love the laissez-faire attitude about the surroundings. The hot springs are not sterile, chlorinated experiences but when you get out of them, you'll smell better than when you went in. Sitting in a warm tub of water just warmed by the earth and overlooking the pastoral valley below, watching the sunset or the stars shine, there's nothing like it.